OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
texaslawyer

Bronze

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by texaslawyer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:29 am

Dingo I do agree with you about wearing button down shirts with a tie, it just doesn't look proper to me. Lace up shoes do look better and more formal with a suit. However, I believe a lot this depends on what part of the country you're in. One aside, never, ever wear a brown suit. Period. Especially if your interviewer or client is of Jewish descent. It will be the Kiss of Death !

Dingo McPhee

New

Post by Dingo McPhee » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:12 pm

texaslawyer wrote:One aside, never, ever wear a brown suit. Period. Especially if your interviewer or client is of Jewish descent. It will be the Kiss of Death !
That's the second time you've said that in this thread. I can't find any reference to it anywhere else. What's the story?

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:20 pm

Dingo this harkens back to the Hitler youth groups in Nazi Germany. A Jewish attorney down in Miami told me that. ALso, I look like awful in brown. Some people can wear it and some can't. I can't and won't.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:38 am

wearing a brown suit will make you look like a professor who doesn't care about clothes because they interfere with his research...just don't do it

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:50 pm

Hey guys --

How much is too much when it comes to getting alterations done?

I'm about 5'7.5-5'8. I'd typically purchase a 40R off the rack. I found a suit that I really really like that is hugely on sale right now, but they're completely sold out except for the 40L.

Is tailoring a 40L down to what a 40R would typically be too much?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Objection wrote:Hey guys --

I'm about 5'7.5-5'8. I'd typically purchase a 40R off the rack. I found a suit that I really really like that is hugely on sale right now, but they're completely sold out except for the 40L.

No it should be fine.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:54 pm

Your first suit should be charcoal gray, and either from Hugo Boss or better OR from a no name place but custom re-cut for you (the better option). Under no circumstances should your suit contain any synthetic fibers. Not so sure about the pleat thing.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:29 pm

No, it should be fine, and it shouldn't cost more than $40 or so.

Sky'stheLimit

Bronze

Post by Sky'stheLimit » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:59 pm

Invest in a tailor. A good one can make you look like million bucks in a Target suit! If your getting the jacket tapered, the sleeves shortened, the "seat" taken in, and the paint legs finished, then it will probably be over $100.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:11 pm

I found a good tailor here that charged me $180 for three suits but did a fantastic job. Considering I bought the suits on clearance for less than $100 each I ended up having three tailored suits for less than the cost of a couple suits regular price at the Men's Warehouse.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:15 pm

It shouldn't cost too much, since it's really just an issue of adjusting the length of the jacket and the sleeves. But I'd still be careful - the real issue is how good the jacket will look once shortened. A long suit is typically designed for someone over 6 feet. Try the jacket on again, and get a feel for how much the tailor will have to take off of the sleeves and the bottom of the jacket. Then look at the buttons and the pocket. If the buttons and/or the front pocket are too low on your chest now, the jacket will look ridiculous shortened. All the tailor is gonna do is chop off some of the sleeves and the bottom of the jacket; he won't move the buttons or the pocket, so if the buttons and the pocket don't sit correctly on you now, pass up on the suit.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:27 pm

betasteve wrote:
Veyron wrote:Your first suit should be charcoal gray, and either from Hugo Boss or better OR from a no name place but custom re-cut for you (the better option). Under no circumstances should your suit contain any synthetic fibers. Not so sure about the pleat thing.
This is pretty much awful advice. That this guy doesn't even know about pleats to give advice is a good indication to just ignore altogether.
Oh, and just what would you do differently, eih? A black suit? A suit with a lycra cotton blend? An off the rack from a crappy brand? This seems like a recipe for bad style any way you slice it. I don't know about the pleats because the topic is fiercely debated and my hunch is that either single or none is acceptable.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Am I going to need suits in 1L? I have none at the moment. If yes, where should I buy some. (cost is a big factor)
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danielle77

New

Post by danielle77 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:40 pm

what about for girls? I hate wearing pants and i feel that every time i try to look professional, i look like a slutty librarian/secretary. Though i kind of enjoy that look, i do not feel it is actually proper for the professional environment. Any advice for law ladies?

danielle77

New

Post by danielle77 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:46 pm

advice from women, preferably...

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:49 pm

I ended up keeping my old MW suit and getting it professionally tailored, as recommended on TLS, and damn but that was a way better choice than shelling out money for a BB or something.

Everyone should have one suit for 1L, not for classes or normal student activities, but for the occasional firm reception you may be invited to, and of course for the 1L job hunt. My one suit has done me very well, but I'll probably need a second for my 1L summer job.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:53 pm

all the suits i see on websites are wool. what do people in warm climates wear, cotton?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shanejamin

New

Post by shanejamin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:57 pm

It might be worth reiterating that your shirt sleeves have GOT to show out from under your jacket sleeves when your arms are hanging at your sides. When you move your arms, you will consequently show MORE sleeve.

Some leprechaun at Dillards yesterday told me to make sure my jacket covered my shirt sleeves. I didn't know how to tell him that his jacket doing so made him look even shorter. Sigh. Do not break this rule, please.

shanejamin

New

Post by shanejamin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:01 pm

twert wrote:all the suits i see on websites are wool. what do people in warm climates wear, cotton?
Wool is for all seasons, unless it's summer and 160 degrees, in which case, cotton is the choice (or linen if you're the Don, or seersucker if you're fat, southern, and alive in 1920).

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:09 pm

shanejamin wrote:
twert wrote:all the suits i see on websites are wool. what do people in warm climates wear, cotton?
Wool is for all seasons, unless it's summer and 160 degrees, in which case, cotton is the choice (or linen if you're the Don, or seersucker if you're fat, southern, and alive in 1920).
lol. I wouldn't mind seersucker suits if they didn't automatically make everyone who wears them look like a segregationist. :|

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:11 pm

danielle77 wrote:advice from women, preferably...
again, the navy or charcoal is alright.
i have an antonio melani suit - he designs for dillards, price depends on what time of the year you shop - and have gotten some compliments on the suit during interviews. i also really like ann taylor. a lot of people like theory. the main thing is to make sure the suit actually fits you well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:11 pm

Yes we need advice for women. Or do we need to make a separate thread for women's suits?

DoctorNick189

Bronze

Post by DoctorNick189 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:12 pm

--LinkRemoved--

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:13 pm

also for women check out this excellent excellent blog: --LinkRemoved--

do a search for interview suits and you'll get all the standard advice.

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:15 pm

thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”