OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
traehekat

Gold

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by traehekat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:20 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
Bronck wrote:I want to get a conservative blue dress shirt to complement my white ones, which is the one I should be getting?

BB "Blue": http://i.imgur.com/KlRx8.png
or
BB "Light Blue": http://i.imgur.com/yF5WJ.png
I got the light blue one.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:33 pm

so I'm probably getting 2 suits and some shirts from BB during the sale...anything I should look to/look out for as a tall (6'5") and fairly husky person?

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:36 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:so I'm probably getting 2 suits and some shirts from BB during the sale...anything I should look to/look out for as a tall (6'5") and fairly husky person?
Same question, except 6'4" 185, so fairly slender

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:07 pm

The BB sale is a bit underwhelming this year. The winter one was 40% off, with an extra 10% off if you ordered on Christmas day. With an easily available 15% discount card, it's actually slightly cheaper ($50 or so) to buy two suits at the regular price than the summer sale price (where the card cannot be used).

Anyone know when their next corporate sale should be?

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:06 pm

So there is a BB outlet right near my house. Good/bad? I dotn think they tailor...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Kring345 wrote:So there is a BB outlet right near my house. Good/bad? I dotn think they tailor...
The BB sales people told me that the dress shirts, ties and blazers are pretty good quality. Also said everything else is not worth buying. I got a dress shirt from the BB outlet and it's still a pretty good shirt but a little different from the retail BB; still prob better than most shirts.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:43 pm

ran12 wrote:
Kring345 wrote:So there is a BB outlet right near my house. Good/bad? I dotn think they tailor...
The BB sales people told me that the dress shirts, ties and blazers are pretty good quality. Also said everything else is not worth buying. I got a dress shirt from the BB outlet and it's still a pretty good shirt but a little different from the retail BB; still prob better than most shirts.
Oh I figured it was the same shit that the normal stores had just discounted. Good to know. All I need is the coat and pants.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:26 am

Kring345 wrote:
ran12 wrote:
Oh I figured it was the same shit that the normal stores had just discounted. Good to know. All I need is the coat and pants.
Some of the BB outlets sell 1818, Golden Fleece, Black Fleece... but most just carry the 346 line (which is a step below the main stores). If you go, I'd ask the the staff whether they have any of the retail lines.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:08 am

Both my Fitzerald suit and my shirt are from the 346 line. I paid about half as much as I would have paid for an 1818, even with a sale. I don't really see anything wrong with the one I have, although it's a light grey so not completely appropriate for OCI I guess.

I almost bought 4 shirts on christmas, but I was too drunk to figure out the website :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WODKilla123

New

Post by WODKilla123 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Hey bros-

Can I wear this belt with black AE Park Ave's and a Navy 1818 suit?

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... tid=brfr1r

I think it's OK but just wanted to run it quickly by those with miles more fashion sense that me. tyia

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:07 pm

WODKilla123 wrote:Hey bros-

I think it's OK but just wanted to run it quickly by those with miles more fashion sense that me. tyia
Absolutely.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:20 pm

WODKilla123 wrote:Hey bros-

The belt strikes me as a bit casual, but I seriously doubt anyone will think negatively of it.

If you were buying a belt specifically for OCI (you probably shouldn't), I'd go narrower and match the texture/shine of the shoes as well as possible.

WODKilla123

New

Post by WODKilla123 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:44 pm

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... -belts.jsp

This any better? It's 1 inch vs. the other one which was 1 1/2". Shine/texture seems to match polished AE PAs decently.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:46 pm

WODKilla123 wrote:http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... -belts.jsp

This any better? It's 1 inch vs. the other one which was 1 1/2". Shine/texture seems to match polished AE PAs decently.
Seems fine, but why would you pay $60 for a belt?

Your move, Macy's.

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:44 pm

Any thoughts on the BB BrooksCool line of suits? Wool/polyester blend but super lightweight and breathable...fit much better on me than their 1818s.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Is this shirt appropriate for business casual events (e.g. firm receptions) if paired with grey/charcoal wool pants, black shoes, and a navy blazer?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... -blue#null

I'm asking because I like the solid blue look a little better than checkers or stripes. Or is this too formal for biz cas?

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:14 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Is this shirt appropriate for business casual events (e.g. firm receptions) if paired with grey/charcoal wool pants, black shoes, and a navy blazer?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... -blue#null

I'm asking because I like the solid blue look a little better than checkers or stripes. Or is this too formal for biz cas?
You'll look fine, but I personally don't like button collars, especially with a blazer sans tie.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:21 pm

O really? I hate button collars too. I know nothing of business style, but from reading this thread I just thought button downs were mandatory for business casual (with no tie and unbuttoned) and you only were supposed to wear normal collared ones with ties. no? thx for your advice.

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:24 pm

drbarry987 wrote:O really? I hate button collars too. I know nothing of business style, but from reading this thread I just thought button downs were mandatory for business casual (with no tie and unbuttoned) and you only were supposed to wear normal collared ones with ties. no? thx for your advice.
I haven't read the entire thread, so I suppose that could be credited advice. I do have button collared shirts, but I wear them casually. Anything I wear for work, be it suit or business casual, tie or no tie, I always wear normal collared shirts. It may be personal preference, but the space between button collars w/o a tie (and thus, a vertical collar) and the lapel on a jacket bothers me. Button collars can bring the bottom of the collar in towards the gig line, creating a space between the buttons and the lapel that I think looks strange.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:27 pm

If you want a traditional view: OCBDs should be worn without a tie (it keeps collar from flapping around, and thus keeps it looking nice); spread/straight collars should be worn with a tie (and suit, since you should never be wearing a tie without a jacket). Of course there are exceptions to this, e.g., OCBD + tie + sports coat is a 'casual' look that works.

But let's be honest, I don't think people are really going to notice/care about whether you wear non-OCBD or OCBD in a business casual environment...

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:36 pm

What if it's biz casual and you're wearing a navy blazer. Is it better to wear the blazer over a OCBD or a non-OCBD spread/foward point collar or is this preference? I realize this is splitting hairs, but jw.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:57 pm

drbarry987 wrote:What if it's biz casual and you're wearing a navy blazer. Is it better to wear the blazer over a OCBD or a non-OCBD spread/foward point collar or is this preference? I realize this is splitting hairs, but jw.
Both are perfectly fine. Obviously, different people have different preferences, but there's not a clear "credited response" for this.

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:09 pm

thisguy456 wrote:Any thoughts on the BB BrooksCool line of suits? Wool/polyester blend but super lightweight and breathable...fit much better on me than their 1818s.
I would avoid non-natural fibers. I had a great-uncle who, on his employees' first days, would always end the orientation by praising the superior qualities of "Swedish knit" fabrics. He was a weirdo.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks for the advice thus far, guys! Really helpful for all us fashion noobs.

About to grab some stuff over the weekend at Brooks. Should you wear a forward point or ainsley collar to OCI- or does it matter (couldn't find answer in search)?

--LinkRemoved-- ... size=#null

--LinkRemoved-- ... olor=White

Or, are they both OK? 6'3", narrow face so I'm leaning towards the ainsley/spread but I'm also a fan of the TLS mantra, "don't wearing anything other than most traditional clothing during OCI". Plan on using four-in-hand knot.

Should I Transfer??

Bronze

Post by Should I Transfer?? » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:30 pm

Both collars are appropriate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”