OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chup

Diamond

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by chup » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:17 am

WAIT A MINUTE.

/checks Nordstrom's.

WRONG MOTHERFUCKERS, THEY'RE ON SALE.

/places $400 order.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:45 am

aschup wrote:WAIT A MINUTE.

/checks Nordstrom's.

/places $400 order.
/checks website

No 16.5 - 36/37 white Nordstrom trim-fit shirts in stock :(

/will hit store tomorrow for presale or Friday after work

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:51 am

God damn. 16.5? I wear like a 14.5/15 :(

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:02 am

Nightrunner wrote:Ideally, I'm 18 36/37, but I can usually get away with 17.5 without feeling like I'm being choked. I also live 100 miles from a decent clothing store.

I like the online shopping.
WTF, 18? Do you have a massive iodine deficiency or something?

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:29 am

Nightrunner wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

/checks Nordstrom's.

/places $400 order.
/checks website

No 16.5 - 36/37 white Nordstrom trim-fit shirts in stock :(

/will hit store tomorrow for presale or Friday after work
What the shit - it lets you sort by neck size, but not sleeve length?

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.
I sorted by neck size, then clicked on each shirt I liked to see if they had my sleeve length.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:17 am

Nightrunner wrote:I just have a big neck, I guess.
lol you guess? 18 is massive. I rock the 16.5 :lol:

Rocketman11

Silver

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Post by Rocketman11 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:43 am

Exeter wrote:Most people in the forum are huge nerds who cannot dress worth shit.

A good suit should be the following

1. 1-2 buttons, NOT 3, Double breasted is catching back up
2. Flat Front pants - Pleats are for losers
3. DOUBLE vents. I cannot stress this enough. Single looks like shit.

4. 5. 6. GET A FUCKING TAILOR

You are shelling out 150K plus for LS, spend the extra hundy spot and get the shit to look right.

7. Pinstripes are bush league in most cases.
LOL. Double breasted is NOT a current style for businesswear. I'll just assume you were high when you mosted this.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed, but what are people's thoughts on BB's outlet suits? Are they inferior quality?

Going up to Chicago this weekend and the gf and I were thinking about hitting up a BB outlet store.
Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed, but what are people's thoughts on BB's outlet suits? Are they inferior quality?

Going up to Chicago this weekend and the gf and I were thinking about hitting up a BB outlet store.
Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?
i believe Pufer recommended staying away from the "made for outlet" suit line (it's called "346").

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?
Aurora? They have a pretty decent store (much bigger than the other one I have been to). Can't really speak on the quality of the suits, but I have heard there is a significant difference (mainly durability).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:20 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Skip all the crap in this thread.

1) Find the closest Brooks Brothers or local suit store
2) Tell them you have interviews for law firms and need conservative interview attire
3) Give them a maximum price for 1 suit, 2 shirts, 2 ties
4) During the 1-2 weeks that the suit is getting tailored, buy reasonably priced belt and shoes (yes, allen edmonds are nice, but a good leather sole cole haan is 1/2 the price and will do the trick).
5) Enjoy your interviews.
(side note - don't go too high end on your suits for OCI because you will be wearing them pretty hard - multiple long days, lots of sweating, lots of travel)
Out of curiosity, what do you think would probably be a good price point for 1 suit, 2 shirts, and 2 ties that would let me not stand out during OGI? Assume I'm interviewing at a bunch of NYC firms.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

2) Tell them you have interviews for law firms and need conservative interview attire
4) During the 1-2 weeks that the suit is getting tailored, buy reasonably priced belt and shoes (yes, allen edmonds are nice, but a good leather sole cole haan is 1/2 the price and will do the trick).
(side note - don't go too high end on your suits for OCI because you will be wearing them pretty hard - multiple long days, lots of sweating, lots of travel)
Out of curiosity, what do you think would probably be a good price point for 1 suit, 2 shirts, and 2 ties that would let me not stand out during OGI? Assume I'm interviewing at a bunch of NYC firms.
That is entirely up to you. A suit of ANY price, as long as it is tailored to fit your body size, will ensure that you don't stand out in a bad way. Once again, the whole point is to NOT be remembered for your clothes, because the ONLY way you will be remembered for them is for something negative. You can go for any kind of suit, at any price. Just make sure you spend the extra money to get it tailored well. The suit could be 120 or it could be 1200. It won't matter what the price is. Sure, the difference might have an effect on the longevity of the suit, but that isn't your concern with regard to OCI. So don't worry about the price.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:38 pm

kaiser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That is entirely up to you. A suit of ANY price, as long as it is tailored to fit your body size, will ensure that you don't stand out in a bad way. Once again, the whole point is to NOT be remembered for your clothes, because the ONLY way you will be remembered for them is for something negative. You can go for any kind of suit, at any price. Just make sure you spend the extra money to get it tailored well. The suit could be 120 or it could be 1200. It won't matter what the price is. Sure, the difference might have an effect on the longevity of the suit, but that isn't your concern with regard to OCI. So don't worry about the price.
So given that OGI is going to do a number on the suit, it's probably a good idea to get something that seems like it will withstand the stress of hiring season and then get retired to the back of the closet (ie something cheapish)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So given that OGI is going to do a number on the suit, it's probably a good idea to get something that seems like it will withstand the stress of hiring season and then get retired to the back of the closet (ie something cheapish)?
Well, since it is going to take a beating pretty fast, I wouldn't go high-end for OCI. At the same time, I wouldn't go bargain bin. I think OCI is the perfect time for something middle of the road i.e. something that is relatively durable and pretty high quality, but not something that is exorbitantly and unnecessarily expensive. For example, my friend bought a $250 suit. Nothing special in the quality department, but he had the thing tailored just right and it looked really good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:27 pm

Awesome, thanks a bunch.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:17 pm

Any thoughts on these suits for interviewing/simply stacking the wardrobe? They're not my favorites, but they're on sale and don't look horrible (at least the first two links don't).

Only interested in the navy since I have the charcoal in this one (even though I already have a navy in another brand): Only interested in the navy one (LinkRemoved)

Charcoal and/or Navy: Charcoal or Navy (LinkRemoved)

Interested in charcoal stripes, Bird Eye, and Black and White:
A little different but interesting (LinkRemoved)

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Work might switch to an all suits, all the time policy.
Looks like I might be looking for one of those JAB 3 for 1 sales.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:15 am

/checks Nordstrom's.

/places $400 order.

Holy shit, that's awesome. They almost never do that.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:19 pm

So noob question, but I have a navy wool/polyester suit that fits really well on me. I got it at a good price when I really needed to save money, but after getting it tailored, it fits very well on me. Is the fact that it's a wool/polyester blend enough to consider scrapping it for 1L and OCI interviews, or does it not matter that much?

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:33 pm

RPK34 wrote:So noob question, but I have a navy wool/polyester suit that fits really well on me. I got it at a good price when I really needed to save money, but after getting it tailored, it fits very well on me. Is the fact that it's a wool/polyester blend enough to consider scrapping it for 1L and OCI interviews, or does it not matter that much?
if there isn't too much shine, which is usually the problem with polyester, no one will likely notice in a 30 minute interview. If it fits well, wear it.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:10 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:I only go half windsor for business reasons. Full is only meant for collars that allow for it (are wide enough) and more formal settings.
Half for point, full for spread

Not wearing spread collars is TTT though :wink:
Medium-spread ftw
I think for formal situations, the medium/wide spread with the half windsor is a great choice.
For a regular day at the office, I like to mix it up and throw in the point collar with a 4-in-hand knot.

Does anyone here ever go for less-known tie knots like the small knot, victoria knot or the pratt knot? I've never seen the point of using them in the past, but I just saw a commentator on the US open with a small knot/point collar combo which was pretty money.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:17 pm

Just an FYI, but Jos A Bank is running another "Buy One, Get Two Free Sale." The sale applies to everything in the store too.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:31 pm

missinglink wrote:Just an FYI, but Jos A Bank is running another "Buy One, Get Two Free Sale." The sale applies to everything in the store too.
How are their "executive shirts"? $19.99 sale for them looks great, but I've never owned anything from Jos A Bank.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:33 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
missinglink wrote:Just an FYI, but Jos A Bank is running another "Buy One, Get Two Free Sale." The sale applies to everything in the store too.
How are their "executive shirts"? $19.99 sale for them looks great, but I've never owned anything from Jos A Bank.
its really pretty good value. it won't last long and is all styled rather classic (old-manish). but it will get you through law school.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:50 pm

kalvano wrote:

/checks Nordstrom's.

/places $400 order.

Holy shit, that's awesome. They almost never do that.
OMG these things fit me like a fucking glove.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”