OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shock259

Gold

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by shock259 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Awesome - thank you for the info.

Found this one for the right price. Assuming I can figure out the sizing, what do you think? Is the grey too light?

http://store-us.hugoboss.com/mens-suits ... _Dark-Grey

Also, is 1 suit for OCI ok? I figure the only people that may start noticing would be my fellow students ... but I'm not interviewing with them. :P

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:59 pm

shock259 wrote:Awesome - thank you for the info.

Found this one for the right price. Assuming I can figure out the sizing, what do you think? Is the grey too light?

http://store-us.hugoboss.com/mens-suits ... _Dark-Grey

Also, is 1 suit for OCI ok? I figure the only people that may start noticing would be my fellow students ... but I'm not interviewing with them. :P
I'm a big fan of grey. Everyone else will be wearing the most boring shade of navy (or at least enough people to make you sick of it real fast), so that suit will look sharp, yet still entirely conservative enough. Def not too light.

One suit is fine in theory but I think it's smart to have a backup in case it gets dirty or something unexpected happens. Just be careful when you eat, don't let it wrinkle, etc and one is fine.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:49 am

You can sign up for a BB in store card and get 15% off, so while 850 is still expensive, it feels better than 1k (If you go that route).

I liked the few Boss suits I tried on though so also a fine option!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:39 am

2014 wrote:You can sign up for a BB in store card and get 15% off, so while 850 is still expensive, it feels better than 1k (If you go that route).

I liked the few Boss suits I tried on though so also a fine option!
i just bought a boss suit the other week and i love it. similar color as the grey one above, but it has a little more of a blue tint to it, which i think gives it a little more style.

for those who are looking into BB, here are my two cents: don't waste money on 346 (i did and i regret it), and be aware that it is tough to find a slimmer fit if you are a skinny guy. sure, you can have it tailored, but if you are as skinny as i am then it will require a lot of work and at that point it might not even be worth it.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:45 am

While I absolutely love my two BB suits, I'd probably never buy one at less than 30% off or so. You unfortunately just missed the big summer sale. If you needed something before OCI, I'd probably look elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:30 am

can someone who has been through OCI tell me a little more about the convention of guys wearing either AE PAs or some shoe that looks just like them. I get that they are nice and that perhaps they common in the industry, but if you just have a really nice pair of black dress shoes, does the style really matter? I'm not talking loafers, but just a pair that isn't cap toed or something.

poloralphshop

New

Post by poloralphshop » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:56 am

For summer to wear polo shirts is a pretty choice,will vey suit for you being a laywer ,will look very handsome and mature.It can give people a good look on you.

polo shirts have good permeability and easy to clean,lots different model as well,of course price is accepted.

if have any interested in polo shirts,come on in AT SPAM CENTRALSHOP

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:02 am

you guys know where I can make a pretty choice on some polo shirts? Permeability is key

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:53 am

Are polos too conservative for callbacks?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WODKilla123

New

Post by WODKilla123 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:14 am

Anyone know if the AE brown burnished calf Fifth Aves are on sale for the Nordstrom's Anniversary sale? It's going on for card holders now but us gen pop doods have to wait until 7/20 iirc

---

this is relevant to my interests. Any Nordstrom's card holders out there to let us know what's coming up with the sale on the 20th?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:22 am

Brooks Brothers is the safest option. Join the law student division of the ABA & get 15% discount at Brooks Brothers.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:27 am

WODKilla123 wrote:Anyone know if the AE brown burnished calf Fifth Aves are on sale for the Nordstrom's Anniversary sale? It's going on for card holders now but us gen pop doods have to wait until 7/20 iirc

---

this is relevant to my interests. Any Nordstrom's card holders out there to let us know what's coming up with the sale on the 20th?
the website has park ave, strand, lasalle, mctavish, and parkway from $197-220. god damn, i paid almost $400 for my park aves last august. kinda tilted right now...

WODKilla123

New

Post by WODKilla123 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks for the intel, traehekat. I too was riding the tilt-a-while when I paid $700 for my 1818 fitz and found out bros were getting it for 500 in the past.

The only dress shoes I own are black AE PAs. From reading this forum, it looks like these shoes are good for OCI but are too formal for business casual (button collar no tie, blazer, wool pants). What should the second pair of shoes I but be, namely one that will be my go to for callbacks that are on the dressier side of business casual (targeting white shoe nyc firms from ccn)?

Brown PAs?

Brown Strands?

I'm leaning toward the brown burnished calf AE PAs just to be super conservative but I don't want to stand out negatively at business casual firm functions.

tyia!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Went and tried on a bunch of different suits today and had a couple of different people size me. Hugo Boss fits me almost perfectly off the rack. I can't describe how much better it is than the Jos A Bank crap I had before. Now I actually want occasions where I can where a suit to show off my swag.

I'll probably be ordering online soon, then taking it to a tailor. I'm excited.

Thanks for the suggestion folks.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:42 am

shock259 wrote:Went and tried on a bunch of different suits today and had a couple of different people size me. Hugo Boss fits me almost perfectly off the rack. I can't describe how much better it is than the Jos A Bank crap I had before. Now I actually want occasions where I can where a suit to show off my swag.

You couldn't tailor the Jos A Bank suits to fit you better? Legitimate question; I don't want to buy one and regret it.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:46 am

PennBull wrote:
shock259 wrote:Went and tried on a bunch of different suits today and had a couple of different people size me. Hugo Boss fits me almost perfectly off the rack. I can't describe how much better it is than the Jos A Bank crap I had before. Now I actually want occasions where I can where a suit to show off my swag.

You couldn't tailor the Jos A Bank suits to fit you better? Legitimate question; I don't want to buy one and regret it.
Penn, I can't remember what your body proportions were. I wrote this earlier, but I got a Signature suit and am very pleased with it; fits great. I didn't have to get any tailoring done other than the sleeves.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:53 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Penn, I can't remember what your body proportions were. I wrote this earlier, but I got a Signature suit and am very pleased with it; fits great. I didn't have to get any tailoring done other than the sleeves.
5'7, 150, completely standard body proportions. I'm generally a 36S.

Express 1MX shirts fit me perfectly; I like to use that as an indication of my body type. I like a slimmer fit but not fashion forward.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:02 am

kwais wrote:can someone who has been through OCI tell me a little more about the convention of guys wearing either AE PAs or some shoe that looks just like them. I get that they are nice and that perhaps they common in the industry, but if you just have a really nice pair of black dress shoes, does the style really matter? I'm not talking loafers, but just a pair that isn't cap toed or something.
sorry to bump my own question, but very curious

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:08 am

kwais wrote:
kwais wrote:can someone who has been through OCI tell me a little more about the convention of guys wearing either AE PAs or some shoe that looks just like them. I get that they are nice and that perhaps they common in the industry, but if you just have a really nice pair of black dress shoes, does the style really matter? I'm not talking loafers, but just a pair that isn't cap toed or something.
By and large it won't matter. So long as it isn't outlandish with the possibility to offending someone with decent fashion sense, you should be fine. Post a pic if you already have them. AE's can be prohibitively expensive when you don't have a job, but you can 1. find a pair on ebay (I did this and am thrilled) or 2. pick up some Cole Haans for ~$100.

Penn, you might run into the JAB problems others were speaking of. I've continuously heard that they are made for larger dudes. Whether or not you can get it tailored to fit perfect isn't something I'm familiar enough with to comment on. I know that for $230 I got a damn good suit.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:17 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Penn, you might run into the JAB problems others were speaking of. I've continuously heard that they are made for larger dudes. Whether or not you can get it tailored to fit perfect isn't something I'm familiar enough with to comment on. I know that for $230 I got a damn good suit.
Yeah I think I'd like to have a suit fit okay off the rack. I'm going to try some JAB suits, but if it just feels like I'll have to reinvent the thing at a tailor, I think I'll just pay some more dollars somewhere.

Anyone else have comments on the general fit of JAB suits/how they can be tailored?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:26 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
kwais wrote:
By and large it won't matter. So long as it isn't outlandish with the possibility to offending someone with decent fashion sense, you should be fine. Post a pic if you already have them. AE's can be prohibitively expensive when you don't have a job, but you can 1. find a pair on ebay (I did this and am thrilled) or 2. pick up some Cole Haans for ~$100.

Penn, you might run into the JAB problems others were speaking of. I've continuously heard that they are made for larger dudes. Whether or not you can get it tailored to fit perfect isn't something I'm familiar enough with to comment on. I know that for $230 I got a damn good suit.
I know they have a new tailored fit and "slim fit" line now. Haven't tried them on but they seem to be cut a lot more slim/narrow than their usual offerings.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:32 am

On that note - is this too patterned for an OCI suit?

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_370147

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:On that note - is this too patterned for an OCI suit?

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_370147
I am in the camp that any pattern = bad pattern for OCI. I plan on doing charcoal for screeners, navy for callbacks.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:37 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
kwais wrote:

thanks

so, --LinkRemoved-- we cool?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:39 am

Those should be more than acceptable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”