OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sirchristaylor

Bronze

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by sirchristaylor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:17 pm

spondee wrote:
Spor wrote:I've read other places that black is a definite no for any business environment.
Is that true? What's wrong with black?
That is 100% false.

shanejamin

New

Post by shanejamin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Esc wrote:
shanejamin wrote:
twert wrote:all the suits i see on websites are wool. what do people in warm climates wear, cotton?
Wool is for all seasons, unless it's summer and 160 degrees, in which case, cotton is the choice (or linen if you're the Don, or seersucker if you're fat, southern, and alive in 1920).
lol. I wouldn't mind seersucker suits if they didn't automatically make everyone who wears them look like a segregationist. :|
Seriously. They're really successful at being cool in the summer in Texas and also at looking like you need a bowtie and a pocket chain to round out your Colonel Fucking Preposterous St. Croix costume.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:19 pm

betasteve wrote:
Veyron wrote:
betasteve wrote:
Veyron wrote: 2) It does NOT need to be Hugo Boss or better, so long as it is tailored and not so cheap it falls apart.
*Clears throat*

Thats why I said Hugo Boss or better or a custom re-cut.

Blue is also fine but cg is the absolute most conservative.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Veyron wrote:
betasteve wrote: 2) It does NOT need to be Hugo Boss or better, so long as it is tailored and not so cheap it falls apart.
*Clears throat*

Thats why I said Hugo Boss or better or a custom re-cut.

Blue is also fine but cg is the absolute most conservative.
The "or" there implies that if you buy a really expensive-label suit you don't have to have it tailored. This would be an unfortunate decision.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:32 pm

if having pleated suit pants tailored, how wide - in inches - should the cuff be? i think there is a fine line btw too wide and too narrow but i've never heard which measurement, or range of measurements, is most suitable. i'm sure a decent tailor would know the answer to this question, however i'd like to have an idea in case i run into a situation where i need to know.
Last edited by sanpiero on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:33 pm

shanejamin wrote:
Esc wrote:
shanejamin wrote:
twert wrote:all the suits i see on websites are wool. what do people in warm climates wear, cotton?
Wool is for all seasons, unless it's summer and 160 degrees, in which case, cotton is the choice (or linen if you're the Don, or seersucker if you're fat, southern, and alive in 1920).
lol. I wouldn't mind seersucker suits if they didn't automatically make everyone who wears them look like a segregationist. :|
Seriously. They're really successful at being cool in the summer in Texas and also at looking like you need a bowtie and a pocket chain to round out your Colonel Fucking Preposterous St. Croix costume.
Explain the reference?

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:37 pm

For around $800 you can have a suit custom made by a tailor. The benefits are, among others, that the suit will fit you perfectly, it'll be prepared to your sartorial desire, and it will likely last longer than most suits that you'd buy on a rack. If $800 seems like a lot of money, thinking about the cost per wear should help.

Black, navy, and grey are the most obvious options. Never, EVER, wear a pleated pant. Ever. :shock:

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:39 pm

missvik218 wrote:Ok, I'm going shopping with a friend & we are buying her boyfriend a new watch ... this will be for work/formal wear. I don't know anything about men's watches, etc. and neither does she. I think we're looking for something around $500, suggestions?!
Emporio Armani, square face.

danielle77

New

Post by danielle77 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks! I do like theory, it just fits me poorly. Is there a secret place for awesome fitting button down shirts? even though the rest of my torso can fit into a standard xs, i cant usually close the buttons in the chest area, and if i can i get that weird ripple and everyone can see inside of it. Would a tailor just fix it? like just cut off have of a larger shirt?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:43 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:. Never, EVER, wear a pleated pant. Ever. :shock:
Sorry, but this is another lie told to you by GQ. Single, forward pleats are fine, and some body types look better in pleats. However, flat-fronts are a la mode, so a much safer choice for the fashion cautious.

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Renzo wrote:
Sorry, but this is another lie told to you by GQ. Single, forward pleats are fine, and some body types look better in pleats. However, flat-fronts are a la mode, so a much safer choice for the fashion cautious.
Well, if you think you look good in pleats I guess that's all that matters.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:50 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Well, if you think you look good in pleats I guess that's all that matters.
Nah, personally I stick with flat-fronts. I'm not a small guy, so I need as slim/athletic fit as possible to avoid looking fat.

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:52 pm

betasteve wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:For around $800 you can have a suit custom made by a tailor. The benefits are, among others, that the suit will fit you perfectly, it'll be prepared to your sartorial desire, and it will likely last longer than most suits that you'd buy on a rack. If $800 seems like a lot of money, thinking about the cost per wear should help.

Black, navy, and grey are the most obvious options. Never, EVER, wear a pleated pant. Ever. :shock:
You think black is equally acceptable as navy or grey, but think pleats are never acceptable? You've just failed. GQ is not the proper style guide for the legal profession. Hth.
Your comment is a fail on multiple fronts, a few of which are: I never advocated one color over another; pleats are never acceptable (unless, as I just mentioned, you feel that you look good in them (because who can do anything about that?)); you should probably read GQ. I spent enough time in the legal industry to not need to refer to GQ when discussing proper style in the legal profession. Thanks for playing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:59 pm

For anyone that lives near a Nordstroms, their Men's Half-Yearly Sale is a good time to get a high-quality suit at a discount. Plus, they can help guide you as to what looks good on you and their tailoring is top-notch.

If you're only going to have one suit, it should be fairly conservative so as to be multi-functional. Dark blue / gray / whatever. Just make sure it's not white or something.

Pleats are fine for some, not others. They are a bit more classic / conservative and not quite so fashionable at the moment, but no one will think bad of you for wearing them. I like them.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Goddamit.

Elude - what you do when you're wife is coming after you with a .45.
Allude - to make reference to.

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:21 pm

betasteve wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:
betasteve wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:For around $800 you can have a suit custom made by a tailor. The benefits are, among others, that the suit will fit you perfectly, it'll be prepared to your sartorial desire, and it will likely last longer than most suits that you'd buy on a rack. If $800 seems like a lot of money, thinking about the cost per wear should help.

You think black is equally acceptable as navy or grey, but think pleats are never acceptable? You've just failed. GQ is not the proper style guide for the legal profession. Hth.
Your comment is a fail on multiple fronts, a few of which are:
After I address these following, I'll expect you to let me know where else my "comment is a fail."
sirchristaylor wrote: I never advocated one color over another
I never said you did - in fact I specifically said you treated black as preferable as grey or navy. It, in fact, is not.
sirchristaylor wrote:pleats are never acceptable (unless, as I just mentioned, you feel that you look good in them (because who can do anything about that?))
So pleats are never acceptable, except when they are (when the specific wearer looks good in them). But wait - didn't you say in the post I initially quoted that one should "Never, EVER, wear a pleated pant." You should probably make up your own mind before you give advice.
sirchristaylor wrote: you should probably read GQ.
I have - and it's great for getting advice to be hip and current with your fashion, but it is unequivocally a piece of shit to the uninformed when it comes to dressing conservatively (i.e. how you'd dress in the legal profession).
sirchristaylor wrote:I spent enough time in the legal industry to not need to refer to GQ when discussing proper style in the legal profession. Thanks for playing.
As I said, no one should ever be referring to GQ when determining how to dress in the legal profession.

And so, in conclusion:
1) Thanks for playing;
2) As you eluded to, I'd love to hear what other ways my initial comment fails...
Once again, your comment is a complete failure. I'll give you at least an "A-" for effort.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:24 pm

:lol:
kalvano wrote:Goddamit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:27 pm

betasteve wrote:

wtf are you talking about?

Last line of your post above mine.

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:28 pm

betasteve wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:
Once again, your comment is a complete failure. I'll give you at least an "A-" for effort.
Excellent rebuttal. I give you a D for effort. If you are going to try to give up without looking like you give up, you really do need to do better than that.
Honestly, you haven't shown enough intelligence or skill in this debate to make me want to continue. Enjoy your fun-filled, pleated life. :D

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:35 pm

I saved you from continuing to murder the English language.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 pm

It's a continuing process for most people. It's not like pulling a gun and one shot and dead. It's like slowly and deliberately torturing it to death.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:53 pm

kalvano wrote:I saved you from continuing to murder the English language.

Elude - what you do when [strike]you're[/strike] your wife is coming after you with a .45.
FTFY. :wink:

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 pm

thalassocrat wrote:

Elude - what you do when [strike]you're[/strike] your wife is coming after you with a .45.
Look at that cute little kitty. No pleats! :D

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:59 pm

thalassocrat wrote:

Fuck my iPhone.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:01 pm

kalvano wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:

Fuck my iPhone.
Uh huh. Everyone always has an excuse for the second-degree grammar burn.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”