OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronte

Gold

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:08 pm

If you want a black suit, get a tuxedo. If you want to understand when to wear a tuxedo, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_P7yWnAAd0.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:08 pm

5ky wrote:
shepdawg wrote:How about black suits?
I would recommend against it if at all possible.
Thanks. The only suits I have are a black one perfectly tailored for me and a tan summer suit. It is not impossible for me to get a new charcoal suit.

Out of curiosity, though. What are the problems/downsides to the black suit which cause them to be inappropriate for OCI?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:13 pm

shepdawg wrote:Thanks. The only suits I have are a black one perfectly tailored for me and a tan summer suit. It is not impossible for me to get a new charcoal suit.

Out of curiosity, though. What are the problems/downsides to the black suit which cause them to be inappropriate for OCI?
Black suits are just widely considered inappropriate for business wear. The "why's" of it are like trying to explain any social custom. Black is just the color of the dinner jacket (aka the tuxedo).

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:14 pm

Bronte wrote:
shepdawg wrote:Thanks. The only suits I have are a black one perfectly tailored for me and a tan summer suit. It is not impossible for me to get a new charcoal suit.

Black suits are just widely considered inappropriate for business wear. The "why's" of it are like trying to explain any social custom. Black is just the color of the dinner jacket (aka the tuxedo).
Also appropriate for a funeral.

But yes, titcr. It's just something that they would likely notice, and not for the better.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:15 pm

5ky wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Also appropriate for a funeral.

But yes, titcr. It's just something that they would likely notice, and not for the better.
Not to get too far afield, but is charcoal appropriate for a funeral? The more I read here, the more I wonder why anyone has a black suit. In which case, they would be ill prepared for a funeral.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:Not to get too far afield, but is charcoal appropriate for a funeral? The more I read here, the more I wonder why anyone has a black suit. In which case, they would be ill prepared for a funeral.
Any dark suit is appropriate for a funeral. (By that I basically mean any conservative dark suit.)

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Black suit = formal, but not business.

Interestingly, quite a few attorneys were insight grey today in court. Makes me feel fine about busting out my medium grey suit at OCI.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:25 pm

1. Do not wear a bow tie.
2. Do not wear a black suit.
3. Do not wear a brown suit
4. Do not wear a suit that you look like you are swimming in.
5. Do not wear shirts with button-down collars.

The best interview outfit you could wear is (1) a tailored, solid, dark navy suit (2) with a fitted, solid white shirt that has no buttons on the collars and (3) a tie with a moderately bold color and a conservative pattern; also, (4) a black belt and black cap-toed shoes.

If you don't know how to match your tie, figure it out now.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:26 pm

How do you fellows feel about (a relatively light) navy with a white rope stripe?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:28 pm

showNprove wrote:1. Do not wear a bow tie.

The best interview outfit you could wear is (1) a tailored, solid, dark navy suit (2) with a fitted, solid white shirt that has no buttons on the collars and (3) a tie with a moderately bold color and a conservative pattern; also, (4) a black belt and black cap-toed shoes.

I agree with 5 as a personal choice, because I think it looks less formal, but I see button down collars on associates, partners, firm bios, etc. often enough that I don't think it's a true faux-pax.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:31 pm

thesealocust wrote:
showNprove wrote:1. Do not wear a bow tie.

I agree with 5 as a personal choice, because I think it looks less formal, but I see button down collars on associates, partners, firm bios, etc. often enough that I don't think it's a true faux-pax.
I should have qualified #5: if there is a strong wind in your interview room, then you should wear a button-down collar.

Edit: You're right, though: a lot of attorneys wear button-down collars. But they look much less professional, and it's not worth taking the chance of making that impression if you can avoid it.

Midleton

New

Post by Midleton » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Does anyone else find the myriad of rules regarding suits peculiar? So long as it is a "suit" and covers your body, who cares? Then again, I'm not making the hiring decisions.

Also, do they really expect students living off of student loans to magically find $500 for a suit and tailor? My old suit is a pinstripe and from what I hear pinstripes, for whatever reason, are not appropriate for OCI. I'm not about to rob a gas station to pay for a new suit.

Just annoyed I guess.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:54 pm

Midleton wrote:Does anyone else find the myriad of rules regarding suits peculiar? So long as it is a "suit" and covers your body, who cares? Then again, I'm not making the hiring decisions.

Also, do they really expect students living off of student loans to magically find $500 for a suit and tailor? My old suit is a pinstripe and from what I hear pinstripes, for whatever reason, are not appropriate for OCI. I'm not about to rob a gas station to pay for a new suit.

Just annoyed I guess.
I understand your frustration, but if I may preempt the rhetoric.

1. It doesn't matter if it's peculiar or unfair. It is what it is. Who cares? Some interviewers, and you don't know which ones until it's too late.

2. $200K + $500 =~ $200k. Do it right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:55 pm

thesealocust wrote: I agree with 5 as a personal choice, because I think it looks less formal, but I see button down collars on associates, partners, firm bios, etc. often enough that I don't think it's a true faux-pax.
Dude, I saw a relatively influential senior attorney take a deposition in wrinkled cotton pants, a short-sleeve button-down, and loafers with holes in them. Another partner dresses like a caricature of the casual yacht club guy in a Brooks Bros. ad every friday (pink pants with lobsters on them, loud-ass plaid shirt, white shoes, etc.).

But I am not rocking any of that shit to EIW just because some people do it in the office.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Midleton wrote:Does anyone else find the myriad of rules regarding suits peculiar? So long as it is a "suit" and covers your body, who cares? Then again, I'm not making the hiring decisions.

Just annoyed I guess.
You're probably the 20th person in this thread and the 100th person on TLS to express this sentiment. The rules aren't that complicated, if you just don't ask how you can break them: (1) traditional cut dark navy or charcoal suit with no patterns, (2) black belt and black cap toe shoe lace-ups, (3) simple tie in red or blue with traditional pattern, and (4) white or powder blue, non-button down shirt. Get it all tailored.

You can get two suits plus all the extras for $1000 or less if you follow the tips in this thread. You should be able to squeeze that money out of your loans 1L year. Many people will not follow this advice at OCI. You'll see people dress completely inappropriately. You can be one of these people, or you can take the pains to follow this advice. If you absolutely cannot come up with the cash, you can get away with breaking some of the rules. But the more you do so, the more it will stand out.

Edit: Two suits for $600. Try Brooks Bros. Outlet, Jos. A. Bank, EBay, etc.
Two shirts for $100 and belt for $50. Try Macy's, etc.
Black cap toes for $75. Akron Bostonians.
Two ties for $30. http://www.thetiebar.com
Tailoring for $150.

That's $980 plus tax.
Last edited by Bronte on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:04 pm

In the long run, an associate who knows how to dress appropriately is going to fit in better and inspire more confidence in clients. Also less likely to be socially awkward.
You can get two suits plus all the extras for $1000 or less if you follow the tips in this thread.
You all think we need 2 suits for OCI or just one?
Last edited by Veyron on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:04 pm

I went hunting for button down collars and found a few fairly quickly (from V5 firm bios):

--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:08 pm

thesealocust wrote:I went hunting for button down collars and found a few fairly quickly (from V5 firm bios):

--ImageRemoved--

You can find all kinds of rich and famous people doing it. It still looks crazy.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:09 pm

I wouldn't go as far as crazy, but I agree, it's not a classy look.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:11 pm

thesealocust wrote:I went hunting for button down collars and found a few fairly quickly (from V5 firm bios):

--ImageRemoved--

It won't kill you in an interview. But firm bios are not as conservative as OCI attire. Why do it? That's what I don't understand. It's a classic but controversial American look.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:12 pm

Veyron wrote:
You can get two suits plus all the extras for $1000 or less if you follow the tips in this thread.
You all think we need 2 suits for OCI or just one?
I think you can get away with one no problem. It's nice to have a second to rotate and for callbacks, but you can pull it off.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Bronte wrote:It won't kill you in an interview. But firm bios are not as conservative as OCI attire. Why do it? That's what I don't understand. It's a classic but controversial American look.
Not to get all law student about it, but I would actually argue that firm bio shots inspire exactly kind of thing people wear to interviews, at least for guys.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:22 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Bronte wrote:It won't kill you in an interview. But firm bios are not as conservative as OCI attire. Why do it? That's what I don't understand. It's a classic but controversial American look.
Not to get all law student about it, but I would actually argue that firm bio shots inspire exactly kind of thing people wear to interviews, at least for guys.
To a certain extent. I agree that people are going to dress conservatively in the bio pics. I just think they have leeway to be a little less conservative because they already have a job. Also, the fact that they got a job doesn't mean they wore the optimal attire to OCI or know what the best practices are. To get all law student right back at ya.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:23 pm

I concede to your superior law studentship.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Better price points than above:

2 suits (Jos A Bank): $375

2 Traveler shirts (Jos A Bank): $95

I still have to shop for the following, but these are my price goals

Shoes: $75

New watch: $50

Couple ties: $40

I guess $150 might be right on tailoring. Mine was $62 but the jacket needed minimal work.

That's barely $600.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”