OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Revolver066

Bronze

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Revolver066 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:36 pm

LeDique wrote:Seriously. I'm wearing those shitty Bostonian captoes that cost like 60 bucks. But they're good enough that if anyone looks down, no one is going to care.
Could I really get away with this? I just want something relatively inexpensive to wear that won't get crazy looks with a suit. Something under 100 , don't care that it's going to br rubber soled for now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:38 pm

My shoes cost like $20 lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Revolver066 wrote:
LeDique wrote:Seriously. I'm wearing those shitty Bostonian captoes that cost like 60 bucks. But they're good enough that if anyone looks down, no one is going to care.
Could I really get away with this? I just want something relatively inexpensive to wear that won't get crazy looks with a suit. Something under 100 , don't care that it's going to br rubber soled for now.
Wore these recently and got the jerb
http://www.zappos.com/bass-atlanta-cap- ... ed-leather

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Emma. wrote:But thinking that brown shoes, plain as opposed to captoe oxfords, or a light gray or subtle pinstripe suit is going to stop you from getting a callback/offer is ridiculous.
Did I say that Emma? No, I did not. I don't think anyone has said that. What is with all the straw men ITT? I'm sure plenty of people have gotten jobs with a wide variety of attire, but this thread is about best practices. Also, there is a world of difference between say, a decent looking pair of non-captoe lace-ups in brown or something, and going in with tassle loafers. When people say "charcoal suit, black cap toes, white shirt, burgundy/dark blue tie," it's just a "model look" or whatever for people who have no idea at all what to wear. It is totally fine to deviate here and there. But tassle loafers? That's just an objectively dumb thing to wear with a suit to an interview, even if the interviewer doesn't notice.
Chill, bro. I wasn't intending to suggest that was what you had said. I just think it would be easy to read this thread and think there is basically one OCI uniform that everyone wants to wear if they want an offer. My apologies if my post came across otherwise.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Revolver066 wrote:
Wore these recently and got the jerb
http://www.zappos.com/bass-atlanta-cap- ... ed-leather
Those won't get you looked at twice. I have these and like the shape of them slightly better: --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:39 pm

I have these because up until recently it was the only shoe i could find in my size:

Apparently now I have this option, but I don't have $110 to spend this month.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:58 pm

^
I have the shoes identical to the top shoe. Is it kosher?

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:38 pm

This thread has become absolutely ridiculous in the last few pages.

Captoed oxfords are the best shoes for OCI, because they have been the de facto official business shoe for over a century. However, you do not have to wear captoed oxfords to an interview. You do not have to wear expensive shoes to an interview. If you do not want to risk odd looks from interviewers, you do have to wear professional looking shoes. That means something sleek (thin soles of either leather or a rubber that is meant to have a similar profile to leather, shoe lacking the extra room and bulk of a pair of sketchers or dr. martens, etc.) and traditional (no ridiculous sneaker-dress shoe hybrids, etc.). It should have laces. It should ideally be black (oxblood and very dark brown may be acceptable, depending on the shoes).

The point is looking like you have enough professionalism and common sense that the partners don't have to worry when introducing you to a client. That leaves a lot of room for discretion. It does not leave room to wear anything under the sun.
Last edited by mrloblaw on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:40 pm

mrloblaw wrote:This thread has become absolutely ridiculous in the last few pages.

Captoed oxfords are the best shoes for OCI, because they have been the de facto official business shoe for over a century. However, you do not have to wear captoed oxfords to an interview. You do not have to wear expensive shoes to an interview. If you do not want to risk odd looks from interviewers, you do have to wear professional looking shoes. That means something sleek (thin soles of either leather or a rubber that is meant to have a similar profile to leather, shoe lacking the extra room and bulk of a pair of sketchers or dr. martens, etc.) and traditional (no ridiculous sneaker-dress shoe hybrids, etc.). It should have laces. It should ideally be black (oxblood and very dark brown may be acceptable, depending on the shoes).

The point is looking like you have enough professionalism and common sense that the partners don't have to worry when introducing you to a client.
thanks so much for settling everything

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:43 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:This thread has become absolutely ridiculous in the last few pages.

The point is looking like you have enough professionalism and common sense that the partners don't have to worry when introducing you to a client.
INSUFFERABLE GUY

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:45 pm

fatduck wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

INSUFFERABLE GUY
xoxo duck guy

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Stringer6 wrote: thanks so much for settling everything

While I realize it settles nothing, I was hoping that one more voice against the more ludicrous extremes on both sides might help to prevent people from doing really stupid things, like buying a pair of retail AEs they don't otherwise want or wearing some god-awful monstrosity like this: http://www.zappos.com/deer-stags-manager-black.

Edit: The fact that the first review of the shoe I posted is from an attorney who wears them with suits was completely unnoticed.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:50 am

Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:56 am

Chupavida wrote:There are very few things you can control in your OCI/Callback interviews. Given the stakes, I fail to understand why anyone would insist on tempting fate by wearing anything other than ideal interview clothes.

You have nothing to gain by deviating from what has been suggested in this thread. You have a great deal to lose. If you think interviewers aren't going to make hiring decisions on something so superficial or stupid, you are quite wrong. It's a buyer's market. They will gleefully take somebody else with your same GPA who didn't wear clown shoes to the interview.
I can't tell if clown shoes is referring to the tassel loafers or non-cap toe shoes.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:59 am

Revolver066 wrote:
You can find shitty black captoes that don't have rubber soles for under 100. I also have a pair of shitty Bostonians that would be perfect for interviews if they weren't beat up all to hell.

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:00 am

why buy a pair of shitty shoes for $100 when you can but a pair of great quality allen edmonds for $200 that will last half of your career?

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:00 am

Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:28 am

Revolver066 wrote:
You can easily get leather-soled Bostonian cap-toes for under $100. I have a pair I picked up a couple years back at a Nordstrom Rack for like $35 that I wear when it might rain (less concerned about fucking up the soles on a pair of shitty Bostonians) and I imagine nobody has ever noticed any difference between them and either my reserved-for-interview-duty J&M Meltons or my everyday AE Park Avenues (or even my Fifth Avenues for that matter).

The number of people who can tell the difference between some black, leather-soled, rounded cap-toe Bostonian and any other black, leather-soled, rounded cap-toe shoe at a glance is pretty small (I mean, with maybe one exception, I could rattle off the color, design, width, and be about 75% sure of the brand of tie of every one of the law students I've interviewed these last three semesters; I surely noted their shoes at the time, but I couldn't tell you anything about their shoes today except for the couple guys who deviated memorably from the norm in that department). Bostonians are certainly shitty, but they're also certainly fine for anything you'll encounter in law school, including interviews.

-Pufer

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:58 am

mrloblaw wrote:Captoed oxfords are the best shoes for OCI, because they have been the de facto official business shoe for over a century. However, you do not have to wear captoed oxfords to an interview. You do not have to wear expensive shoes to an interview. If you do not want to risk odd looks from interviewers, you do have to wear professional looking shoes. That means something sleek (thin soles of either leather or a rubber that is meant to have a similar profile to leather, shoe lacking the extra room and bulk of a pair of sketchers or dr. martens, etc.) and traditional (no ridiculous sneaker-dress shoe hybrids, etc.). It should have laces. It should ideally be black (oxblood and very dark brown may be acceptable, depending on the shoes).

The point is looking like you have enough professionalism and common sense that the partners don't have to worry when introducing you to a client. That leaves a lot of room for discretion. It does not leave room to wear anything under the sun.
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

newbienew

New

Post by newbienew » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:23 am

Should I take that first response as a no? I was serious...

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:31 am

Good to see this poster managed the courage to post this anonymously.
But to answer the above question, I wouldn't. They look cheap, which the are. The pattern on the back looks odd and rubber soles are generally a decent signal the shoes should be avoided. If you are looking to spend the least amount possible, get a decent pair from eBay. I know in my size, which is pretty standard, you can find a decent, leather sole Oxford from a reputable brand for around that price. If a shoe is well made, a good cleaning and shining will make it look as good as it did new.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:38 am

Chupavida wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Chupavida wrote:There are very few things you can control in your OCI/Callback interviews. Given the stakes, I fail to understand why anyone would insist on tempting fate by wearing anything other than ideal interview clothes.

You have nothing to gain by deviating from what has been suggested in this thread. You have a great deal to lose. If you think interviewers aren't going to make hiring decisions on something so superficial or stupid, you are quite wrong. It's a buyer's market. They will gleefully take somebody else with your same GPA who didn't wear clown shoes to the interview.
I can't tell if clown shoes is referring to the tassel loafers or non-cap toe shoes.
Clown shoes is a bit of hyperbole. I think rubber-soled, square-toed, corrected-grain crap is ugly, but unless I were in a particularly bad mood I wouldn't lump them in with tassel loafers or whatever those leather crocs linked a couple posts back are called. If your shoes are the ones you linked on the last page, then you wasted $100, but you aren't likely to offend anyone.
Lol. I linked the wrong ones, but even if I did buy those, the idea that I wasted $100 on shoes I really like because they have the wrong toe is the stuff of American Psycho.

briviere

New

Post by briviere » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:24 am

Think of it as a uniform. You're expected to adhere to it as best you can. Also, the further you deviate from the 'norm,' the less seriously people will take you. People ITT seem to love to say, "who cares what I wear! that's conformist nazi bs bro!" What you fail to realize is that nobody gives a shit what you think, you're an interviewee/summer associate/junior associate at best. You should be thrilled that there are a set of pre-determined rules to help you avoid looking like a jackass before you've even opened your mouth. You're in a competition, should someone else with equivalent stats and interview performance be competing with for you for an OCI spot, but you're the one who wore the $40 dollar clown-shoes rather than buying a pair of acceptable used-AE Oxfords from ebay for $35, well I guess they'll be getting that spot.

Stop parroting your SHITBOOMER parent's nonsense. It's not, "what's inside that counts," everything counts - even the shoes you wear. Deal with it bruh.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”