OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PennBull

Diamond

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by PennBull » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:26 pm

justicefishy wrote:So, I'm probably worrying about nothing but I'm wondering if before OCI I should run out to get more nice clothes. I recently got a suit from Indochino and it fits great and looks great (http://www.indochino.com/product/The-Es ... rcoal-Suit or so for reference) and already have another charcoal suit and a black suit with light white pinstripes (both off the rack with minor tailoring). I also recently got a pair of http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1 in dark brown and have an old beat up pair of Johnston and Murphy shoes (not very nice, I probably won't wear them again). I'm wondering if I need additional suits and shoes or if I'm just worrying for nothing? (I know I need belts and shirts, but that's less of an issue for now)

Thanks!
At a bare minimum, you're totally fine. Skip the black/pinstripe suit entirely. Don't worry about wearing the same suit every day--nobody is going to care about that. I'd personally worry about having a good backup suit if something happened to the charcoal suit, so I'd personally grab a navy suit.

Also, while the shoes you bought are a nice shoe, they aren't the best possible interview shoe. They'd also look a bit awkward with a charcoal suit (but not enitrely). So, I would absolutely get a pair of black captoe oxfords (Google the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue for an example).

But, at a bare minimum, if you were strapped for cash and wanted to spend more on some shirts, you could get away with it.

tl;dr: I'd buy a navy suit and some black oxford captoes.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:27 pm

justicefishy wrote:So, I'm probably worrying about nothing but I'm wondering if before OCI I should run out to get more nice clothes. I recently got a suit from Indochino and it fits great and looks great (http://www.indochino.com/product/The-Es ... rcoal-Suit or so for reference) and already have another charcoal suit and a black suit with light white pinstripes (both off the rack with minor tailoring). I also recently got a pair of http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1 in dark brown and have an old beat up pair of Johnston and Murphy shoes (not very nice, I probably won't wear them again). I'm wondering if I need additional suits and shoes or if I'm just worrying for nothing? (I know I need belts and shirts, but that's less of an issue for now)

Thanks!
It sounds like you should be ok. I would stick to your two charcoal suits in lieu of the black pinstripe. Also, maybe send the second one in for tailoring if it doesn't fit well (hard to tell exactly from your post). As for the shoes, those are not absolutely ideal for OCI but they should be fine. In addition to brown being vaguely less conservative, it is also not ideal with charcoal. The blucher, moc-toe style is also not ideal but not a deal breaker in my mind.

If you do get another pair, maybe black AE Park Avenues at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. A black captoe is ideal. If you do get another suit, I would recommend a solid navy.

How are you for shirt, tie, and belt? Those are important too.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Well at least you're not getting contradictory advice, lol. Wow.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Bronte wrote:Well at least you're not getting contradictory advice, lol. Wow.
I know we joke about the "hivemind" or "circle-jerk" that TLS creates, but that was pretty ridiculous guys.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:33 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
I know we joke about the "hivemind" or "circle-jerk" that TLS creates, but that was pretty ridiculous guys.
oh you're right we should just give bad advice to be different

if this was men's style or whatever it'd be different, but this is OCI we're talking about

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
I wish comparing my bar exam practice essays to the model answers were a similar experience.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:37 pm

PennBull wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
oh you're right we should just give bad advice to be different

if this was men's style or whatever it'd be different, but this is OCI we're talking about
Just crazy that you nailed the exact same points.

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:55 pm

Bronte wrote:

Thanks!
It sounds like you should be ok. I would stick to your two charcoal suits in lieu of the black pinstripe. Also, maybe send the second one in for tailoring if it doesn't fit well (hard to tell exactly from your post). As for the shoes, those are not absolutely ideal for OCI but they should be fine. In addition to brown being vaguely less conservative, it is also not ideal with charcoal. The blucher, moc-toe style is also not ideal but not a deal breaker in my mind.

If you do get another pair, maybe black AE Park Avenues at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. A black captoe is ideal. If you do get another suit, I would recommend a solid navy.

How are you for shirt, tie, and belt? Those are important too.
Thanks all of you! As for belts, ties, and shirts, I'm in different places. I need a new belt, at least two at a minimum. I'll settle on probably a black for new shoes and a brown to go with the ones I currently have. Ties I'm in better shape on, a dark brown tie, a black tie, violet with pink stripes (conservative enough actually, it's pretty muted), and a few strong red ties. Shirt wise I've got about 4 Brooks Brothers no irons (light blue, salmon, white with navy pinstripe, light blue square pattern on white) and a fitted shirt, again from Indochino, in light blue. That said, I might hit up the BB sale going on and see what I can get, for belts at the very least (though as a Suit Supply just opened up, I might go there).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Just picked up some Park Avenues (used, but good condition) on ebay for $100. I recommend keeping your eyes peeled if you're in need!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:34 am

justicefishy wrote: Thanks all of you! As for belts, ties, and shirts, I'm in different places. I need a new belt, at least two at a minimum. I'll settle on probably a black for new shoes and a brown to go with the ones I currently have. Ties I'm in better shape on, a dark brown tie, a black tie, violet with pink stripes (conservative enough actually, it's pretty muted), and a few strong red ties. Shirt wise I've got about 4 Brooks Brothers no irons (light blue, salmon, white with navy pinstripe, light blue square pattern on white) and a fitted shirt, again from Indochino, in light blue. That said, I might hit up the BB sale going on and see what I can get, for belts at the very least (though as a Suit Supply just opened up, I might go there).
Not to be a dick, but don't wear any of these for OCI (except MAYBE the red ties).

Check out http://www.thetiebar.com for cheap ties. Get a dark blue pin dot and a yellow pindot IMO.

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... t%2Ey%3D14

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... rchType%3D

ETA: Also, plain white shirt is better, and you'll need them eventually anyway. I get the Stafford Fitted shirts from J.C. Penney when I need a cheap shirt (usually two for $35). They won't last forever, but they are a great under-the-suit shirt for the money IMO.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:49 am

chrisbru wrote:
justicefishy wrote: Thanks all of you! As for belts, ties, and shirts, I'm in different places. I need a new belt, at least two at a minimum. I'll settle on probably a black for new shoes and a brown to go with the ones I currently have. Ties I'm in better shape on, a dark brown tie, a black tie, violet with pink stripes (conservative enough actually, it's pretty muted), and a few strong red ties. Shirt wise I've got about 4 Brooks Brothers no irons (light blue, salmon, white with navy pinstripe, light blue square pattern on white) and a fitted shirt, again from Indochino, in light blue. That said, I might hit up the BB sale going on and see what I can get, for belts at the very least (though as a Suit Supply just opened up, I might go there).
Not to be a dick, but don't wear any of these for OCI (except MAYBE the red ties).

Check out http://www.thetiebar.com for cheap ties. Get a dark blue pin dot and a yellow pindot IMO.

ETA: Also, plain white shirt is better, and you'll need them eventually anyway. I get the Stafford Fitted shirts from J.C. Penney when I need a cheap shirt (usually two for $35). They won't last forever, but they are a great under-the-suit shirt for the money IMO.
Burgundy pindot is probs best for OCI.

/hivemind

vinnnyvincenzo

Bronze

Post by vinnnyvincenzo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:29 am

The only suit I have is a herringbone navy from BB (linked below). Is this acceptable or do I need to get a plain grey/navy one?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Madison-S ... &cgid=0216

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:33 am

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:The only suit I have is a herringbone navy from BB (linked below). Is this acceptable or do I need to get a plain grey/navy one?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Madison-S ... &cgid=0216
Solids are always better for interviews, but that pattern is subtle enough that it should be fine. If you have spare cash, pick up a solid charcoal suit and then you'll be set.

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:11 am

Got a really nice suit from --LinkRemoved-- at very reasonable prices (around BB range) fully custom and it fits much better than anything I've gotten off the rack then retailored.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:42 am

Looking to get my law school shoes and figured might as well get some Park Aves now instead of later, but, and this is a super-prole question...

I don't know what size I am. My normal size is 11, but this D, C, E, and shit like that at the end of the size confuses me and I don't want to get something that doesn't fit well. Also, are the shoes normally sized normal, or are 11s kind of small or kind of big, etc.? Is getting them on ebay a smart move?

Basically, what can you tell me about getting these bad boys.

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:46 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Looking to get my law school shoes and figured might as well get some Park Aves now instead of later, but, and this is a super-prole question...

I don't know what size I am. My normal size is 11, but this D, C, E, and shit like that at the end of the size confuses me and I don't want to get something that doesn't fit well. Also, are the shoes normally sized normal, or are 11s kind of small or kind of big, etc.? Is getting them on ebay a smart move?

As far as length goes, AEs are around a full size bigger than normal, in my experience. I have 9s and could really probably do 8.5 and usually wear a 9.5-10. Letters are for width; D is the standard "medium" shoe width, and the shoe gets more narrow as you approach A and wider as you go deeper into the alphabet.

tl;dr go try them on somewhere

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:50 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Looking to get my law school shoes and figured might as well get some Park Aves now instead of later, but, and this is a super-prole question...

I wear a half-size smaller than I normally do.

I'm a D, and I think that's "normal" so I can't comment for people with wide/narrow feet. You should definitely stop by nordstroms just to check your size before you buy if you plan to do it online. I'd recommend getting a pair from their semi-annual sale for OCI(~$210 in July), but when it comes to developing a rotation ebay is TCR (~$120) if you know what you're doing (look back in this thread for advice)

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 pm

D is 'normal'. E is a bit wider. I wear a 9.5 in Chucks and a 10.5 in Park Aves fit me fine. Chucks tend to run small, Park Aves idk. I think on a Brannock I'm between a 10 and a 10.5

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:25 pm

allen edmonds is tricky because there are several different lasts that throw the sizing off. the website will tell you which last each shoe is built around, so once you get one shoe that fits appropriately on that last [e.g. the park avenue is the 5 last] then as a general [not infallible] rule, other shoes on that same last will fit the same way. the exceptions are usually unlined or rough leather, so the general rule should be a good guide for dress shoes. but you definitely need to try the first one on and determine your size in each individual last. [fortunately, the 5 last has many of the classic looks, including the strand+mcallister. see here: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/ca ... ubcategory ]

the salesperson will probably tell you that a park avenue is supposed to feel tighter than the shoe you're used to because it's a balmoral. this is true, but doesn't change the fact that the shoe still needs to be comfortable. stand in them for a while and walk around on the carpet.

+1 on getting this done early. read up on shoe care, get the appropriate products, give them a little love before you wear them in the wild with ae's product or renovateur if you're feeling french and break them in on carpet. if the first time you wear these is in an interview, it's gonna feel weird. wahoowa

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:28 pm

wvuchip wrote: tl;dr go try them on somewhere

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Burgundy pindot is probs best for OCI.

/hivemind
Don't worry about the "dick" part, thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to go out and get some new ties and the like before OCI begins.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:31 am

Brooks Brothers

Wonk

New

Post by Wonk » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:40 pm

Is it worth thinking about whether to get two J. Crew Ludlow suits vs. one BB 1818? With the J. Crew card discount, I think two Ludlows would be ~$1000.

Pennywise, pound foolish? Or is the J. Crew suit quality enough to make it worth it? Is there a better third option like ordering SuitSupply online?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Wonk wrote:Is it worth thinking about whether to get two J. Crew Ludlow suits vs. one BB 1818? With the J. Crew card discount, I think two Ludlows would be ~$1000.

Pennywise, pound foolish? Or is the J. Crew suit quality enough to make it worth it? Is there a better third option like ordering SuitSupply online?
Ludlows are awesome, and I think reallllly close to BB in terms of quality. I'd get Ludlows personally.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”