OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Duralex wrote:I think it's a matter of taste at that point--cordovan can look very refined where black just looks standard-issue. Black shoes are "more formal" in theory and I'll defer to others on this but I don't think even interviewing reaches quite that height of formality/reserve: it's not a black tie dinner or a funeral. However, inexpensive cordovan shoes can be hard to find, you need a matching belt, and if you're only going to buy one pair they're going to be black.

On the tailor: I can't give tips on how to pre-select, except word of mouth (which is how the people I know found the ones they use--maybe Yelp?) but I can emphasize that you should go through a trial period. Get a pair of trousers finished. Then get a decent but not super expensive sport coat or similar altered. Then try the tailor on a suit. (You may not have time for this kind of courtship, but I'm afraid of getting suits I'm planning on holding onto for a while altered by someone unproven.)
Good suggestion on the Yelp. Found a tailor with a bunch of great reviews for altering suits.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:15 pm

So I think TCR is: no one cares.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:16 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:
blowhard wrote:Also, any suggestion on picking a good tailor for suits? I need to get my pants hemmed and maybe my jacket adjusted a little.
Go to Ojen's on State Street. My aunt and uncle own a boutique and offer to tailor everything for free for me but I'd rather pay money for Ojen to do it. She's amazing. She's pricey but you won't be disappointed.
How pricey is pricey? She has no reviews on Yelp. Ever heard of Vahan's on Liberty? He got good reviews from people who said he did 8-10+ suits for them.

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:17 pm

seespotrun wrote: Brown + navy is committing murder? Traditionally, blue+black was frowned upon. At least that's what I had been told.
I've always heard the opposite. Like I said I don't find anything wrong with but some of the older crowd still does. Like I love dark brown and navy but I wouldn't do it for an interview.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:20 pm

BTW, for the basic questions and an into to markers of quality etc. it's well worth it to pick up the now out of print The Things Your Father Never Taught You by Robert Masello an Amazon for the few cents to four dollars it's currently going for. He gives you the conservative rules being mentioned ITT as well as some commentary on where/when to depart from them (the very specific bits in that part are bit dated--keep the fashion cycle in mind.) He also discusses professional interviewing generally (not just dress.) You may not agree with everything the guy has to say, especially outside of dress etc., but I still think it's a good book (especially at those prices.)

Meanwhile, for fantasizing, there's Peter Mayle's Acquired Tastes (also available very cheaply--buy a used older printing, it doesn't change) which among other pleasures of the rich chronicles the experience of bespoke suit and shoe making in London. I got a surprising amount of useful information from reading this, as even if you can't afford the "real" versions of the things he writes about you learn quite a bit about what to look for.

And, yes, some people will trot out the old saw that black+blue "looks like a bruise" but it seems to have become more conventional than black+brown by force of adoption.
Last edited by Duralex on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:21 pm

blowhard wrote:
zettsscores40 wrote:
blowhard wrote:Also, any suggestion on picking a good tailor for suits? I need to get my pants hemmed and maybe my jacket adjusted a little.
Go to Ojen's on State Street. My aunt and uncle own a boutique and offer to tailor everything for free for me but I'd rather pay money for Ojen to do it. She's amazing. She's pricey but you won't be disappointed.
How pricey is pricey? She has no reviews on Yelp. Ever heard of Vahan's on Liberty? He got good reviews from people who said he did 8-10+ suits for them.
Honestly can't remember. I took a few pieces in at once so I can't recall the price of what individual service costs. I've heard of Vahan's but that wasn't til after I started using Ojen. It's kinda like a barber, you're not gonna wanna switch once you find someone you're comfortable with. He's good though from what I hear.

She has reviews on google:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=2 ... mNIwo8jpKA

One on Yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ojens-state-str ... -ann-arbor

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:23 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
zettsscores40 wrote:
Honestly can't remember. I took a few pieces in at once so I can't recall the price of what individual service costs. I've heard of Vahan's but that wasn't til after I started using Ojen. It's kinda like a barber, you're not gonna wanna switch once you find someone you're comfortable with. He's good though from what I hear.

She has reviews on google:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=2 ... mNIwo8jpKA

One on Yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ojens-state-str ... -ann-arbor
Thanks. She has some bad reviews on Yahoo from LS alumni...

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:24 pm

mother fucker. My suit maker just jacked up his prices!

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:28 pm

blowhard wrote:
Thanks. She has some bad reviews on Yahoo from LS alumni...
Hmmm they never came up until I searched for Yahoo reviews (I don't think I've used Yahoo for anything besides fantasy sports in a while). Just giving you my 2 cents.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Blowhard--maybe this Vahan's joint mentioned above? 2 positive yelp reviews, comments noting that tailoring suits is the family business (at least 2 generations) and that suits are altered "properly." The description makes it sound like an old school haberdashery, and that's always nice--it couldn't hurt to have a relationship w/someone like that.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/vahans-clothing ... -ann-arbor, although sounds like you found it already.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Blowhard would you mind telling us a little bit about your Brooks Bros Outlet experience? What's the selection like? Is it last year's stuff? Returned stuff? Damaged stuff? Do you get quality salesperson assistance or are you on your own?

Also, which one did you go to? I see there's three in the area. (I'll be joining you in Ann Arbor this fall.)

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:56 pm

Do you guys have tailors that come to your law schools too? Raja Fashions comes to Duke once a semester or so and offers a pretty steep discount for bespoke suits for law students (depending on the fabric, they range from $350-550 or so, and they are normaly $1k and up I think). From what I understand, the idea is to get us to buy one or two suits while we are students, get us addicted, and then charge the big bucks once we have graduated.

Gotta say, so far it is working in my case. I really like the suit I got made in the spring. I have really broad sholders, so it is almost impossible to find a suit that is wide enough which doesn't make me look like I am wearing a burlap sack, even after it has been altered. This suit fit great.

I am looking to get another one. The first was a dark charcoal herringbone, two button, notch lapels, flat front, and side vents. I am trying to decide what I should get next. I guess I was thinking a plain navy, but it feels a bit boring and I think I look better in grays. I only have one other suit (a three button, pleated, black pinstripe I got on sale at Kohls a few years ago. Looks ok, but it is relegated to back-up suit duty for the forseeable future), so I am pretty wide open in my options. What would y'all suggest I get?

Also, I guess I should ask: anyone else have experience with Raja? I am going to talk to some of the other students who bought one, but I want to make sure this suit was not a fluke before I drop another wad of cash on another one.

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Bronte wrote:Blowhard would you mind telling us a little bit about your Brooks Bros Outlet experience? What's the selection like? Is it last year's stuff? Returned stuff? Damaged stuff? Do you get quality salesperson assistance or are you on your own?

Also, which one did you go to? I see there's three in the area. (I'll be joining you in Ann Arbor this fall.)
I went to the Brooks Brothers outlet in Potomac Mills recently. Their standard non-iron dress shirts were 3 for $160. Their ties were 3 for $99. I don't buy stuff at regular BB so I don't know how great of a discount that is, but it definitely didn't strike me as enough of a deal to spend that kind of money. But at the same time, it seemed that this was the same stock as their regular stores, not last year's stuff or returned stuff. They had some random shirts on sale at 40-60% off, but none of their good stuff. I bought a slim-fit dress shirt, not non-iron, for $23. There were also some ties for ~$20. Their suit selection was very limited, they didn't have the Fitzgerald or the other slim cut suit. Sales people were either uninformed or total idiots. One guy, who was wearing an atrocious pinstriped suit with a loud tie and a huge pocket square, gave fashion advice in such a robotic manner that I thought he was kidding at first. Almost as if he had memorized a chart of shirt/tie combinations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Bronte wrote:Blowhard would you mind telling us a little bit about your Brooks Bros Outlet experience? What's the selection like? Is it last year's stuff? Returned stuff? Damaged stuff? Do you get quality salesperson assistance or are you on your own?

I went to Great Lakes Crossing. (Make sure you stop by the customer service desk, you get 10% off for driving 50+ miles there. This place is huge too...lots of stores.) Suits don't really go out of style. They have a decent but not huge selection of suits that are lower quality than what they sell in the regular BB. By lower quality I mean they are not full-canvased (at least I don't think so) but they don't feel fused either. They look great and should last at least a few years until I can buy more. The staff was knowledgeable and helped me pick out shirts/ties that went well with the suits I picked.

Are you in AA now? Some of us are doing dinner tonight...

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Bosque wrote:The first was a dark charcoal herringbone, two button, notch lapels, flat front, and side vents.
That sounds very nice. I'd say go with your gut, it's serving you well.

All you Michigan people--there's a Polo outlet in Howell halfway between Michigan and MSU. Sign up for their mailing list, the seasonal sale coupons are awesome.
Last edited by Duralex on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Duralex wrote:
Bosque wrote:The first was a dark charcoal herringbone, two button, notch lapels, flat front, and side vents.
That sounds very nice. I'd say go with your gut, it's serving you well.
I will eventually. Trouble is, my gut doesn't know yet. So I need to come up with some options for my gut to look at and give me his opinion of.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Just tossing this in here for people browsing the thread:

Polo Online Men's Dress Clothing and Furnishings Sale page

Mostly of interest for shirts @ outlet pricing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:09 pm

What do guys think of more flat-fronted shoes? http://m.sears.com/mt/www.sears.com/shc ... 0P?prdNo=2

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:09 pm

fuck no.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:13 pm

betasteve wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:fuck no.
This.
Also, Sears? Really?
Not those specifically. I just parked at sears because it was raining.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Bosque wrote: I will eventually. Trouble is, my gut doesn't know yet. So I need to come up with some options for my gut to look at and give me his opinion of.
Well, you can go with a more interesting navy fabric than your standard issue--maybe a subtle nailhead? That will keep you from looking too identical to everyone else without being overtly noticeable. I think my navy BB suit is nailhead.

If you like how you look in greys, maybe a Glen (Prince of Wales) Plaid? I've seen them with the accent color red, blue, pink, green...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:28 pm

blowhard wrote:What do guys think of more flat-fronted shoes? http://m.sears.com/mt/www.sears.com/shc ... 0P?prdNo=2
Not a fan either. But then, I am generally just not a fan of that style for formal shoes. On a casual shoes like a loafer? Ok. But not with a suit.

But that is just my taste.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:34 pm

Duralex wrote:
Bosque wrote: I will eventually. Trouble is, my gut doesn't know yet. So I need to come up with some options for my gut to look at and give me his opinion of.
Well, you can go with a more interesting navy fabric than your standard issue--maybe a subtle nailhead? That will keep you from looking too identical to everyone else without being overtly noticeable. I think my navy BB suit is nailhead.

If you like how you look in greys, maybe a Glen (Prince of Wales) Plaid? I've seen them with the accent color red, blue, pink, green...
Hmm... I like the Navy nailhead idea. I will see if I can find a fabric that I like in that. And I really do need at least one Navy suit. Not sure about the plaid, I would have to see the fabric in person. I have seen some I really liked, and some I really hated. Also, in general I think I look better in paterns that are a little more vertical than the plaids typically are.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Macys has a 25% off dress clothes, suits, and shoes with $100 total sale starting tomorrow. Sales guy gave me a coupon. The $79.99 shoes mentioned earlier are eligible for this if you buy something else to break $100.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:25 pm

What do you think about these but in a burgundy (lighter) for a dark navy suit? The sales guy at Macys said they sell a lot of these in burgundy for that reason. I think I'm going to buy these in black but I need to go over $100 so I can get 25% off tomorrow.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”