OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:51 am

Bedsole wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For the actual interview, just take a leather folio thing.
Thoughts on a leather folio thing? Where do I get a decent one of these bad boys?
Your school bookstore should have a good one with their name on it.
I'm a rebel. I use one that a school I don't attend gave me with their acceptance letter.
Might run down to New Haven and snag one at the bookstore there. Just to be a boss.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Bedsole wrote: I'm a rebel. I use one that a school I don't attend gave me with their acceptance letter.
Might run down to New Haven and snag one at the bookstore there. Just to be a boss.
We're talking about the same school, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:55 am

Bedsole wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bedsole wrote: I'm a rebel. I use one that a school I don't attend gave me with their acceptance letter.
Quinnipiac? Think so.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Quinnipiac? Think so.
Quinnipiac is in Hamden, breh.

But it was clearly a joke. Neither the schools in that area provide folios on acceptance. It came from a NC regional TTTT

WODKilla123

New

Post by WODKilla123 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:30 am

Would it be a major/noticeable mistake to wear black park avenues with grey/charcoal wool pants and Brooks Brooks button collar slim shirt + navy blazer in a business casual environment?

I've heard, "Never wear balmorals during business casual!" And "Suits only for Park Aves!" Is this a hard and fast rule, or could I get away with wearing this outfit provided everything else is fitted and crisp. I just like the cleaner, conservative look of the PAs and don't want to invest in a new pair of shoes right away if I absolutely don't have to. Than again, I don't want to negatively draw attention to myself. Na'meen?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:13 am

WODKilla123 wrote:Would it be a major/noticeable mistake to wear black park avenues with grey/charcoal wool pants and Brooks Brooks button collar slim shirt + navy blazer in a business casual environment?

I've heard, "Never wear balmorals during business casual!" And "Suits only for Park Aves!" Is this a hard and fast rule, or could I get away with wearing this outfit provided everything else is fitted and crisp. I just like the cleaner, conservative look of the PAs and don't want to invest in a new pair of shoes right away if I absolutely don't have to. Than again, I don't want to negatively draw attention to myself. Na'meen?
One person might notice. Nobody else will.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:58 am

wuduhel wrote:
WODKilla123 wrote:Would it be a major/noticeable mistake to wear black park avenues with grey/charcoal wool pants and Brooks Brooks button collar slim shirt + navy blazer in a business casual environment?

One person might notice. Nobody else will.
If a pic helps, this is what they look like:

http://tinypic.com/r/6suq2q/6

Would be wearing with a conservative blue/white striped button collar shirt and navy Brooks Brothers blazer on top. Is this OK for business casual firm receptions and business casual callbacks in NYC? I know it may be OCD, but I just wanted to check with knowledgeable TLS style doods and then I'll forever shut up.

TY!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:37 pm

WODKilla123 wrote:If a pic helps, this is what they look like:

http://tinypic.com/r/6suq2q/6

Would be wearing with a conservative blue/white striped button collar shirt and navy Brooks Brothers blazer on top. Is this OK for business casual firm receptions and business casual callbacks in NYC? I know it may be OCD, but I just wanted to check with TLS style doods and then I'll forever shut up.

TY!
Totally fine. In fact, you just described my outfit today, sans the jacket.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:49 pm

TLS style guru approved. Coming from a guy with no sense of fashion whatsoever, feelsgoodman.jpg And feet up with the Allen Edmonds is ALWAYS TCR. awww yeaaa

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TLS style guru approved. Coming from a guy with no sense of fashion whatsoever, feelsgoodman.jpg And feet up with the Allen Edmonds is ALWAYS TCR. awww yeaaa
Hell yeah, gotta show 'em off.

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:02 pm

I so far have collected the following

1. Valentino charcoal suit bought online. If it is fake it is a damn good fake. $256. I went to Brooks Brothers and Nordstrom & didn't find anything I liked.
2. AE New Havens, black. They are actually very comfortable and look pretty sharp. Also they have rubber soles which I like. I paid $156 on Ebay for them.
3. Three conservative white french cuff shirts from Paul Fredrick. I paid $20 a piece with monogramming. PM me if you want to know how to do this.
4. Joseph Abboud cufflinks at $20 from Nordstrom Rack
5. Conservative dress socks, also from Nordstrom Rack, $4 a pair times three, total $12

I need a tie. I have no idea what is appropriate. I'd really appreciate some help here. I need extra long because I inherited my dad's bull size neck. I also am pretty tall.

EDIT I bought this tie:

--ImageRemoved--

Is it appropriate? It is a Robert Talbott.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:29 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
jarak01 wrote:This is too light for OCI, right?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... 1?$altview$
I would assume so.
Definitely too light for interviews. I think a good rule of thumb with this kinda stuff is that if you have to ask, you should probably go darker.
While I wouldn't worry about wearing that color too much (for a summer interview), I'd question the taste of wearing a 3 roll 2 sack suit to OCI.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:09 pm

And since I apparently forgot in my last post why I re-entered this thread to begin with:

Anyone know anything about the fit on the trim fit John Nordstrom shirts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:27 pm

roaringeagle wrote: I need a tie. I have no idea what is appropriate. I'd really appreciate some help here. I need extra long because I inherited my dad's bull size neck. I also am pretty tall.
For OCI? I ordered this and think it looks great.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:29 pm

mrloblaw wrote:And since I apparently forgot in my last post why I re-entered this thread to begin with:

Anyone know anything about the fit on the trim fit John Nordstrom shirts?
That question came up within the last 3-4 pages on the OT men's fashion thread if you want to check it out. I think the opinion was that it was a moderate fit, somewhere between a JAB and a JCrew.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:50 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
roaringeagle wrote: I need a tie. I have no idea what is appropriate. I'd really appreciate some help here. I need extra long because I inherited my dad's bull size neck. I also am pretty tall.
Same. It's gonna be easy to spot the TLSers come OCI.

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:40 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
ty. is my tie appropriate?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:45 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Jesus. I also own that tie, and planned on using it. Now I'm halfway to going with a bold striped shirt and solid tie.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:52 pm

nordstrom annual sale going on now. just picked up new AE Park Aves for $220. Also selling McTavish and Strands for $200. Also some nice Bruno Magli Oxfords for $285

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:18 am

roaringeagle wrote:ty. is my tie appropriate?
It's definitely work appropriate, but is more borderline for interview purposes. That said, it's much better than what a lot of guys will be wearing.

I'd be more concerned with someone noticing that you're inexplicably wearing a monogrammed shirt (with french cuffs, no less).

-Pufer

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:35 am

Pufer wrote:
It's definitely work appropriate, but is more borderline for interview purposes. That said, it's much better than what a lot of guys will be wearing.

I'd be more concerned with someone noticing that you're inexplicably wearing a monogrammed shirt (with french cuffs, no less).

-Pufer
But having to poke holes in a regular shirt with a letter opener to show off cufflink bling is just tacky.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:18 am

mrloblaw wrote:
Pufer wrote:

-Pufer
But having to poke holes in a regular shirt with a letter opener to show off cufflink bling is just tacky.
Haha that made me laugh ty. I want to look sharp as fuck because my market/s will appreciate it. Also I paid good money to shorten the sleeves. I also want to get a Tissot watch if I can find a conservative one that is relatively cheap.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:02 am

Pufer wrote:

-Pufer
PUFER!!!!!!!

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:21 pm

i know zilch about dress clothes and need to call upon TLS' collective wisdom. my problem: i have oddly shaped feet--i usually end up buying a 1/2 or full size bigger than the appropriate length because regular shoes tend to be too narrow. i obviously don't want to do that w/the shoes i'll be wearing to interviews/2L SA. any of y'all know of decently priced (<$150) shoes that are generally wider than normal?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:28 pm

DreamShake wrote:i know zilch about dress clothes and need to call upon TLS' collective wisdom. my problem: i have oddly shaped feet--i usually end up buying a 1/2 or full size bigger than the appropriate length because regular shoes tend to be too narrow. i obviously don't want to do that w/the shoes i'll be wearing to interviews/2L SA. any of y'all know of decently priced (<$150) shoes that are generally wider than normal?
Quality shoes come in wide (E) and very wide (EE). For under 150 you can probably get a new pair of Johnston Murphy oxford captoes. Perhaps some Cole Haans at Nordstrom Rack as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”