Page 162 of 185

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:42 pm
by txdude45
I didn't get my interview until after I had a T14 acceptance, but that's obviously just anecdotal. I don't think anyone other than those in charge can know the true how/when/why, but it seems as if l, short of killer numbers, you do need a couple acceptances to schools SEO pulls from in order to interview.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:47 pm
by Anonymous User
femmefatale wrote:Does SEO typically wait until you've received LS acceptances before they extend an interview?
Submitted my app last week shortly after submitting all of my LS apps.
No, they do not. Invites were sent to some applicants this cycle who have yet to be accepted anywhere.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:22 pm
by Anonymous User
I'm applying next round, but I planned to take a vacation with my family this summer. How long do the internships last, and is there a precedent for interns taking a week off?

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:29 pm
by Anonymous User
Anonymous User wrote:Can any past participants that got Houston speak generally on their experience? Also, do most who get Houston matriculate to Texas?
Bump

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:37 pm
by lawhopeful2017
Can anyone who has already had their interview share about their experience?

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:28 am
by Anonymous User
Anonymous User wrote:I'm applying next round, but I planned to take a vacation with my family this summer. How long do the internships last, and is there a precedent for interns taking a week off?
Sorry, no vacation. Basically lasts the entire summer (the internship & institute). Try to vacation the week before Memorial Day weekend.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:50 pm
by Anonymous User
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can any past participants that got Houston speak generally on their experience? Also, do most who get Houston matriculate to Texas?
I wasn't in Houston but everyone who did the Houston program went to law school in Texas (though not necessarily UT). In fact, I know of someone who was planning to attend HYS and tried to get placed in Houston but was put in another city instead.
I wasn't in Houston, but my year at least 3 of the 5/6 or so people in Houston were going to law school at HYSCCN. I am HYS and wanted Houston but was placed in a different city. The Houston class was really small so I think your ties to the city/desire to work there are very important. It's worth ranking first as it would not preclude you from placement in NY.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:53 pm
by femmefatale
Received an e-mail earlier today from SEO saying that they are adding a new location....Atlanta.

Interesting!

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:56 am
by Anonymous User
Anyone know how SEO treats double depositers?

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:13 pm
by Anonymous User
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how SEO treats double depositers?
I would assume as any law school would: a nail in the coffin. Such action will make others question your character. Besides which, it can result in a rescinded offer of admissions from both law schools.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:18 pm
by Anonymous User
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how SEO treats double depositers?
I would assume as any law school would: a nail in the coffin. Such action will make others question your character. Besides which, it can result in a rescinded offer of admissions from both law schools.
Um, don't people double deposit all the time? And then pick one/take a waitlist offer before the second deadline?

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:36 pm
by Anonymous User
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how SEO treats double depositers?
I would assume as any law school would: a nail in the coffin. Such action will make others question your character. Besides which, it can result in a rescinded offer of admissions from both law schools.
I really don't think they care as long as you sit on your offer for too long.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:41 pm
by txdude45
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how SEO treats double depositers?
They will look on it VERY negatively. They really don't like people hanging out on more than one WL, so it is highly unlikely they'll be at all supportive of double depositing which 1) could get both offers revoked 2) in combination with WLs, gives them no idea where you're actually going 3) makes you look unprofessional and incredibly shady (a word that came up a lot in SEO). Don't do it.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:12 am
by Anonymous User
txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how SEO t6eats double depositers?
They will look on it VERY negatively. They really don't like people hanging out on more than one WL, so it is highly unlikely they'll be at all supportive of double depositing which 1) could get both offers revoked 2) in combination with WLs, gives them no idea where you're actually going 3) makes you look unprofessional and incredibly shady (a word that came up a lot in SEO). Don't do it.
Frankly, that's stupid. By 1) do you mean that one could get their school offer(s) revoked? Depositing at more than one school seems like a common practice. Isn't that the point of the initial deposit? 2) Some may not know where we're going. If I get into a lower T14 but am waitlisted at two T6s that I'd consider a WL offer from, I sure as hell am going to stay on those WLs.

How does that make one shady or unprofessional? Isn't that the point of a WL? And schools are aware that people double deposit, am I right?

I get that SEO is an amazing resource BUT I'm not going to bend over backwards and limit my choices because they want to know ONE school and write it down or whatever they wanna do.

If what you say is the case, that is. Jeez, people make SEO out to be this dranconian organization. Do they really want that much input into your school choices?

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:21 am
by NYstate
Isn't there an ABA rule that allows double deposits and frownson schools forcing students to make a choice when scholarship negotiation is happening? I knowi read that somewhere.

Maybe people are getting confused with violating ED agreements?

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:18 am
by Anonymous User
accidental anon

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:20 am
by txdude45
Anonymous User wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how SEO t6eats double depositers?
They will look on it VERY negatively. They really don't like people hanging out on more than one WL, so it is highly unlikely they'll be at all supportive of double depositing which 1) could get both offers revoked 2) in combination with WLs, gives them no idea where you're actually going 3) makes you look unprofessional and incredibly shady (a word that came up a lot in SEO). Don't do it.
Frankly, that's stupid. By 1) do you mean that one could get their school offer(s) revoked? Depositing at more than one school seems like a common practice. Isn't that the point of the initial deposit? 2) Some may not know where we're going. If I get into a lower T14 but am waitlisted at two T6s that I'd consider a WL offer from, I sure as hell am going to stay on those WLs.

How does that make one shady or unprofessional? Isn't that the point of a WL? And schools are aware that people double deposit, am I right?

I get that SEO is an amazing resource BUT I'm not going to bend over backwards and limit my choices because they want to know ONE school and write it down or whatever they wanna do.

If what you say is the case, that is. Jeez, people make SEO out to be this dranconian organization. Do they really want that much input into your school choices?
Whether you like it or not, I was told that they don't like you being on multiple WLs. I was considering staying on 2 and didn't because it was clear they viewed that unfavorably.

As far as the rest, a reasonably close reading would make it very clear that my numbered comments were about double depositing, which is NOT a common practice. The deposit is saying to the school, "Yes, I've decided to come to your school." It's how they know how many people to pull of the WL and start to figure out other crap. If the practice was common, deposit deadlines would lose all meaning and adcoms wouldn't be able to accurately project their matriculation numbers.

Furthermore, schools do know when you've double deposited and all warn that doing so can result in them revoking your offer (and you losing the deposit) because you're screwing up their process. If you need a few more days to make a choice, ask and you might get it. Double depositing makes you look shady as hell and it will not be well received by anyone.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:26 am
by Anonymous User
Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools.
.

From the LSAC website.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:32 am
by Anonymous User
txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how SEO t6eats double depositers?
They will look on it VERY negatively. They really don't like people hanging out on more than one WL, so it is highly unlikely they'll be at all supportive of double depositing which 1) could get both offers revoked 2) in combination with WLs, gives them no idea where you're actually going 3) makes you look unprofessional and incredibly shady (a word that came up a lot in SEO). Don't do it.
Frankly, that's stupid. By 1) do you mean that one could get their school offer(s) revoked? Depositing at more than one school seems like a common practice. Isn't that the point of the initial deposit? 2) Some may not know where we're going. If I get into a lower T14 but am waitlisted at two T6s that I'd consider a WL offer from, I sure as hell am going to stay on those WLs.

How does that make one shady or unprofessional? Isn't that the point of a WL? And schools are aware that people double deposit, am I right?

I get that SEO is an amazing resource BUT I'm not going to bend over backwards and limit my choices because they want to know ONE school and write it down or whatever they wanna do.

If what you say is the case, that is. Jeez, people make SEO out to be this dranconian organization. Do they really want that much input into your school choices?
Whether you like it or not, I was told that they don't like you being on multiple WLs. I was considering staying on 2 and didn't because it was clear they viewed that unfavorably.

As far as the rest, a reasonably close reading would make it very clear that my numbered comments were about double depositing, which is NOT a common practice. The deposit is saying to the school, "Yes, I've decided to come to your school." It's how they know how many people to pull of the WL and start to figure out other crap. If the practice was common, deposit deadlines would lose all meaning and adcoms wouldn't be able to accurately project their matriculation numbers.

Furthermore, schools do know when you've double deposited and all warn that doing so can result in them revoking your offer (and you losing the deposit) because you're screwing up their process. If you need a few more days to make a choice, ask and you might get it. Double depositing makes you look shady as hell and it will not be well received by anyone.
From the way describe them, SEO must not like puppies and sunshine either. The WL policy is stupid. I'm not sure why they would care as long as the schools in question are sufficiently prestigious.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:57 am
by Anonymous User
Don't know about double deposits but in my year, multiple people end up changing schools during SEO and after submitting deposits. SEO did not care at all, nor do they know how many WLs you are even on. Most schools in the top 50 or so don't require a deposit until after acceptance from WL. You just deposit at one school and stay on the wait list at others.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:27 pm
by Anonymous User
Does anyone know what the chances are of getting an SEO? How many apply, how many are interviewed, how many get placed? Just wondering what the chances are. Thanks a bunch!

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:24 pm
by Anonymous User
Anyone else received another email request to interview? I have already interviewed. Not sure why another invite was sent out.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:49 am
by Anonymous User
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else received another email request to interview? I have already interviewed. Not sure why another invite was sent out.
Follow-up

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:04 am
by Anonymous User
Anonymous User wrote:Don't know about double deposits but in my year, multiple people end up changing schools during SEO and after submitting deposits. SEO did not care at all, nor do they know how many WLs you are even on. Most schools in the top 50 or so don't require a deposit until after acceptance from WL. You just deposit at one school and stay on the wait list at others.
This is true. A friend of mine even spoke with them about being on a waitlist and they gave her helpful advice. They were not upset.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:36 am
by txdude45
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't know about double deposits but in my year, multiple people end up changing schools during SEO and after submitting deposits. SEO did not care at all, nor do they know how many WLs you are even on. Most schools in the top 50 or so don't require a deposit until after acceptance from WL. You just deposit at one school and stay on the wait list at others.
This is true. A friend of mine even spoke with them about being on a waitlist and they gave her helpful advice. They were not upset.
I wasn't saying they don't support being on a WL. I was on one last summer and it was no problem. However, I was explicitly told by the former director of the program that, while changing schools once you get off a WL was fine, if you're changing schools 2+ times, that upsets them.

Just to be clear: Double depositing is bad, being on multiple WLs isn't, in itself, a problem, but changing schools more than once will upset them.