SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spiritniffler189

Bronze

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by spiritniffler189 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:so i interviewed a while ago and recently received an email that a decision has been made but all that it said was that they are still reviewing my candidacy and have not yet made a final decision...what does that mean? is it like a hold until i send in my deposits?

i mean, i know that they don't accept anyone without a deposit sent in, i'm just curious why they sent me a decision update that was more like a non-decision. any insight from you alums would be greatly appreciated :)

When was your interview? Just wondering in respect to mine, haven't heard anything from them since.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:03 pm

So, at what point do we assume we aren't getting an interview? I submitted my application in December and haven't heard anything back yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:32 pm

I don't believe I'm receiving one and I applied in December too. Based on this forum, it looks like their "diversity" only includes people going to top14 law schools, and since I didn't apply for any of those, I'm probably out. That and they said they would keep me updated on my status, and I haven't heard anything from them since I applied.
Anonymous User wrote:So, at what point do we assume we aren't getting an interview? I submitted my application in December and haven't heard anything back yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cookie2 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:can we get this moved back to the urm forum? wouldn't want it to get lost in the shuffle in here.
Some SEO alums (like myself) would feel better if we could have some anonymity (only available in legal employment forum).

So now that you are anonymous can we get the dirt on this program? I would love to hears stories about what SEO interns actually do and what the experience was like.

This. Would love to get some insight into what firms do a good job incorporating interns into their work flow and what not. Recently interviewed and some alumns have told me that some firms make their interns do paralegal work (and not even, only the basic paralegal work).
Not much you can do even if you knew the firms. The program assigns you. Yes, the work varies firm to firm but even if you do end up at a firm with the least substantive work you have (1) a fantastic resume line (2) amazing opportunities to network (3) the support of an org that has connections like no other and is working hard to make you successful and lastly (4) a summer in a baller city where you are gettin paid.

The dirt? Some say they are a bit paternalistic (they probably are) but there are stories of some interns actin' a fool (bright neon nails and booty skirts) so they have some blanket rules that are a bit overinclusive. But at the end of the day its not that big of a deal. Oh, and the dorm you stay at during CLI bans alcohol but since you are all resourceful smart law students I'm sure you can find a way around that pesky rule (I know we did).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Hate to rain on people's parade, but it is very likely that you will only get accepted if you go to a T14. SEO uses T14 status as a way to market the program to the firms who accept their interns; why would the firm settle for taking (and generally paying a lot of $$ to) a non-T14 student who hasn't even started 1L year (and therefore has no grades, so could end up being bottom of the class at non-T14)? The review process is holistic and takes into account whether or not you are interested in corporate work AND giving back to the community, but without a T14, you will probably not get in.

As for firms, the work varies. Some firms are great and give their interns substantive legal work or include them in the regular summer program: Weil and Dewey were a few of the ones I heard about. A lot of firms give their interns crappy work or have them shadow legal assistants: Skadden and Cadwalader were among these. You have no say in which firm you go to (even if you request one) because the firms basically just pick from a big book of intern resumes. However, they all pay lots of $$. Some firms give return offers for 1L summer, some firms do not. Again, it's totally random depending on the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hate to rain on people's parade, but it is very likely that you will only get accepted if you go to a T14. SEO uses T14 status as a way to market the program to the firms who accept their interns; why would the firm settle for taking (and generally paying a lot of $$ to) a non-T14 student who hasn't even started 1L year (and therefore has no grades, so could end up being bottom of the class at non-T14)? The review process is holistic and takes into account whether or not you are interested in corporate work AND giving back to the community, but without a T14, you will probably not get in.

As for firms, the work varies. Some firms are great and give their interns substantive legal work or include them in the regular summer program: Weil and Dewey were a few of the ones I heard about. A lot of firms give their interns crappy work or have them shadow legal assistants: Skadden and Cadwalader were among these. You have no say in which firm you go to (even if you request one) because the firms basically just pick from a big book of intern resumes. However, they all pay lots of $$. Some firms give return offers for 1L summer, some firms do not. Again, it's totally random depending on the firm.
Also, with respect to offers, that depends on many things. Some firms will give you an auto-offer as long as you don't completely suck as an intern/human being and others won't. Even if you dont get an auto-offer you have like 8 weeks to network and make the firm like you. Do good work, make them like you, and get grades that put you in the running and you have a gigantic leg up on your competition come OCI time. So regardless of what firm you are at you have in a MUCH better position than similarly situated 0Ls about to enter law school. Plus you get PAID! You can tell girls at parties/bars you work at that fancy firm down the street too. I would have worked for free just for the pick up line guys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hate to rain on people's parade, but it is very likely that you will only get accepted if you go to a T14. SEO uses T14 status as a way to market the program to the firms who accept their interns; why would the firm settle for taking (and generally paying a lot of $$ to) a non-T14 student who hasn't even started 1L year (and therefore has no grades, so could end up being bottom of the class at non-T14)? The review process is holistic and takes into account whether or not you are interested in corporate work AND giving back to the community, but without a T14, you will probably not get in.

Your last sentence is awesome. In terms of hearing back from SEO regarding their offer we should not expect anything before April, right? Also, when did you guys find out about what firm assignments each of you got?

Also, with respect to offers, that depends on many things. Some firms will give you an auto-offer as long as you don't completely suck as an intern/human being and others won't. Even if you dont get an auto-offer you have like 8 weeks to network and make the firm like you. Do good work, make them like you, and get grades that put you in the running and you have a gigantic leg up on your competition come OCI time. So regardless of what firm you are at you have in a MUCH better position than similarly situated 0Ls about to enter law school. Plus you get PAID! You can tell girls at parties/bars you work at that fancy firm down the street too. I would have worked for free just for the pick up line guys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so i interviewed a while ago and recently received an email that a decision has been made but all that it said was that they are still reviewing my candidacy and have not yet made a final decision...what does that mean? is it like a hold until i send in my deposits?

i mean, i know that they don't accept anyone without a deposit sent in, i'm just curious why they sent me a decision update that was more like a non-decision. any insight from you alums would be greatly appreciated :)

When was your interview? Just wondering in respect to mine, haven't heard anything from them since.
i don't have the exact date on me, but it was around the first week in january.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Based on this forum, it looks like their "diversity" only includes people going to top14 law schools,
I think it is kind of ridiculous that the internship is promoting diversity, but is only looking for diverse northerners...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:

I also got the non-decision decision message about a week after my interview - had a baby heart attack when I saw the initial subject line, thought it might mean a ding...trying not to read too much into it, but secretly hoping it means something positive (fingers crossed!).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:01 am

cutecarmel wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Based on this forum, it looks like their "diversity" only includes people going to top14 law schools,
I think it is kind of ridiculous that the internship is promoting diversity, but is only looking for diverse northerners...
Where are you getting this from? They never said you have to be a northerner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:30 am

1) Do most people, who've applied and gotten into a T6 or Top 10 school, get interviews?

2) If I haven't heard back re interview invite within 2 months of applying, am I pretty much out of the running?

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:57 pm

The top schools are in the north. I would just think that a program that pushes for diversity wouldn't limit their selections to schools in a particular region.
Anonymous User wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:
Where are you getting this from? They never said you have to be a northerner.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:05 pm

cutecarmel wrote:The top schools are in the north. I would just think that a program that pushes for diversity wouldn't limit their selections to schools in a particular region.
You're kidding right? UVA, UTX, Berk, Duke (also I'm sure they'd take you if you got into WUSTL)
Also, the midwest is not the north (Mich, Chi) so that's 6 out of 14 that are not in the North. They have a program in TX which is not the north and a program in Cali which is not the north.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:18 pm

I just think its weird that they want diversity, but only diversity from certain schools. I understand that they may be selecting potential future employees for those firms, but most of the diversity groups that I have heard about have a further reach. Maybe they still have expanding to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:29 pm

cutecarmel wrote:I just think its weird that they want diversity, but only diversity from certain schools. I understand that they may be selecting potential future employees for those firms, but most of the diversity groups that I have heard about have a further reach. Maybe they still have expanding to do.
Ok, I get what you're saying. Keep in mind that this forum is not the be all and end all and in this thread there has been discussion of a few students going to lower ranked schools that have gotten into SEO. I think what it probably means is your application has to be that much tighter if you're not attending the T14.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Yeah I know. I was just hoping that they would be more open and look at more subjective factors. It may not even be the type of law that I want to practice, but I thought it would be a good opportunity for experience and networking. Oh well. That's the way the world turns. :(
Anonymous User wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:I just think its weird that they want diversity, but only diversity from certain schools. I understand that they may be selecting potential future employees for those firms, but most of the diversity groups that I have heard about have a further reach. Maybe they still have expanding to do.
Ok, I get what you're saying. Keep in mind that this forum is not the be all and end all and in this thread there has been discussion of a few students going to lower ranked schools that have gotten into SEO. I think what it probably means is your application has to be that much tighter if you're not attending the T14.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spiritniffler189

Bronze

Post by spiritniffler189 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:

I also got the non-decision decision message about a week after my interview - had a baby heart attack when I saw the initial subject line, thought it might mean a ding...trying not to read too much into it, but secretly hoping it means something positive (fingers crossed!).
A week? I'm close to a month now and haven't heard anything =/ was this after you submitted your transcript and rec letter? My rec letter hasn't been sent out so I'm hoping that's why I haven't heard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:50 am

A week? I'm close to a month now and haven't heard anything =/ was this after you submitted your transcript and rec letter? My rec letter hasn't been sent out so I'm hoping that's why I haven't heard.
Well I brought my transcripts with me to the interview, and I am fairly certain that my recommender hasn't sent in the letter yet due to a death in the family (planning to follow up with them this week)...for clarification, I never received an e-mail but rather had a message waiting in my inbox when I logged back into my SEO account to update my acceptance list.

For what its worth, despite my previous attempt to sound cheery, I'm far from convinced that such a quick "decision" is indicative of anything good...like maybe I've already been dinged but they just hold on to all the early applicants in the unlikely event that they don't get enough T-14 commitments to fill their class (sigh).

I don't know how OP felt about their interview (IMO mine was just okay, but I also tend to be super critical of myself) but if he/she feels like they rocked it then that might make me feel a little more optimistic about having received such a quick "decision."

spiritniffler189

Bronze

Post by spiritniffler189 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Well I brought my transcripts with me to the interview, and I am fairly certain that my recommender hasn't sent in the letter yet due to a death in the family (planning to follow up with them this week)...for clarification, I never received an e-mail but rather had a message waiting in my inbox when I logged back into my SEO account to update my acceptance list.

For what its worth, despite my previous attempt to sound cheery, I'm far from convinced that such a quick "decision" is indicative of anything good...like maybe I've already been dinged but they just hold on to all the early applicants in the unlikely event that they don't get enough T-14 commitments to fill their class (sigh).

I don't know how OP felt about their interview (IMO mine was just okay, but I also tend to be super critical of myself) but if he/she feels like they rocked it then that might make me feel a little more optimistic about having received such a quick "decision."
Okay, thanks! I actually forgot to check back and update my acceptances until I read this...no messages but I'll keep hope alive.

parebare23

Bronze

Post by parebare23 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:17 pm

What do you need to bring to the interview? Is a LOR required for the interview??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lndixon

New

Post by lndixon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:47 pm

parebare23 wrote:What do you need to bring to the interview? Is a LOR required for the interview??
Are you serious? They say it everywhere. Even when you first apply. You only need a LOR if you're selected for an interview. So, yes, you need one by the time you're interviewing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:26 pm

lndixon wrote:
parebare23 wrote:What do you need to bring to the interview? Is a LOR required for the interview??
Are you serious? They say it everywhere. Even when you first apply. You only need a LOR if you're selected for an interview. So, yes, you need one by the time you're interviewing.
Not sure that you need it by the time that you are interviewing. My understanding is that you will need it in order for your file to go complete. Also, make sure to update your transcripts

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:11 am

Does SEO notify you if you don't make the initial cut (re interview invite)?

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:18 am

lndixon wrote:

No. You don't need it before the interview, just as soon as possible after you are granted the interview. You won't receive a position without your interview on file.

"If you are selected for an in-person interview we will request one recommendation from a faculty member or employer. You are not required to submit a recommendation as part of your application unless you are invited to interview. Recommendations should be submitted electronically through our online application system. The recommendation is due as soon as possible after you are invited to interview. We must have your recommendation form on file in order to make a final decision on your candidacy."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”