SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Malcolm8X

Bronze

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by Malcolm8X » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Had my interview earlier today. Pretty intense. Here's my only advice: Keep your answers short and sweet.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:Had my interview earlier today. Pretty intense. Here's my only advice: Keep your answers short and sweet.
Thanks for the advice! Also, I'm scared now. :shock:

miracle2011

Bronze

Post by miracle2011 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:34 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:Had my interview earlier today. Pretty intense. Here's my only advice: Keep your answers short and sweet.
Don't be, I had my interview yesterday and she literally only cared about my T14 acceptances and did not ask a single question about my resume!

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:34 am

law_monkey wrote:
mez06 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:http://www.policydiary.com/2010/02/prep ... ol-as.html
10% get it according this out of 3,000 applicants. No mention of how many are selected for interviews though. I imagine they don't screen all that hard pre-interview; they prob just knock off the folks who don't have T14 acceptances. After the interview is when they start making all the tough calls.
Ehh I hate when people speak so presumptuously incorrect and off the mark. Your knowledge in this area is obviously lacking. Lacking to the point where you seem to have the inability to even read a page or two back into the topic.

How could said interview process be so when there was in fact non-14 students selected for the program in past years? They had to interview correct? Meaning your logic failed there buddy. Not to mention maybe 3-4 posts up, I mentioned that I received an interview. And that I myself have only been accepted into a 20-25 range school.

Erks me when people try to give "sound" advice about something and they quite actually no little to NOTHING. Your "insight" sees not. Giving bad advice is not good. Actually, it’s extremely uncool. :roll:
In previous years it looked like several non T14 applicants received interviews, and there were a few cases where people with not only T14 acceptances but T6 acceptances ones did not (very few). However, after those interviews the number of non-T14 candidates who actually ended up with an offer was very small. So while TLSNYC would be wrong in saying all the non T14s get knocked out, the statistics show their chances of getting in are much lower. So it wasn't necessarily bad advice, just a little exaggerated. Good luck on your interview.
Point well taken -- I probably overstated what's reasonable to infer. It could also be that the people with non-T14 acceptances but interviews are being interviewed b/c their numbers make them likely or potential T14 admits. Again, conjecture.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:04 am

TLSNYC wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
mez06 wrote:
10% get it according this out of 3,000 applicants. No mention of how many are selected for interviews though. I imagine they don't screen all that hard pre-interview; they prob just knock off the folks who don't have T14 acceptances. After the interview is when they start making all the tough calls.
Ehh I hate when people speak so presumptuously incorrect and off the mark. Your knowledge in this area is obviously lacking. Lacking to the point where you seem to have the inability to even read a page or two back into the topic.

How could said interview process be so when there was in fact non-14 students selected for the program in past years? They had to interview correct? Meaning your logic failed there buddy. Not to mention maybe 3-4 posts up, I mentioned that I received an interview. And that I myself have only been accepted into a 20-25 range school.

Erks me when people try to give "sound" advice about something and they quite actually no little to NOTHING. Your "insight" sees not. Giving bad advice is not good. Actually, it’s extremely uncool. :roll:
In previous years it looked like several non T14 applicants received interviews, and there were a few cases where people with not only T14 acceptances but T6 acceptances ones did not (very few). However, after those interviews the number of non-T14 candidates who actually ended up with an offer was very small. So while TLSNYC would be wrong in saying all the non T14s get knocked out, the statistics show their chances of getting in are much lower. So it wasn't necessarily bad advice, just a little exaggerated. Good luck on your interview.
Point well taken -- I probably overstated what's reasonable to infer. It could also be that the people with non-T14 acceptances but interviews are being interviewed b/c their numbers make them likely or potential T14 admits. Again, conjecture.
Yeah I'm a little more confused by the people who had multiple T14 acceptances and didn't get interviews than the non T14s who did. I wonder what was off about their app since it sounds like a lot of people don't take it that seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:13 pm

miracle2011 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Don't be, I had my interview yesterday and she literally only cared about my T14 acceptances and did not ask a single question about my resume!
I guess it really depends on the location/interviewers. Possibly also on the strength of your #'s also. One thing that seems to consistent across the boards is that they'll text during your interview and cut your answers short.

Plus, my interviewers were not even corporate law alumni which was a bit odd in my opinion, but it was definitely better than flying to NY for a corporate law alumni interview so props to SEO regardless.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:32 pm

mez06 wrote:

FYI...there was ONE person outside T-14 last year. Just one.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:17 am

Done with less than 24 hours to spare.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:42 am

BananaHammock wrote:Minority + HYSCCN = SEO Internship.
What? Asians? Jews? Middle easterners? We get SEO internships if we get to HYSCCN? Since when?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:50 am

FiveSermon wrote:
BananaHammock wrote:Minority + HYSCCN = SEO Internship.
What? Asians? Jews? Middle easterners? We get SEO internships if we get to HYSCCN? Since when?
That was two years ago. Relax.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:27 pm

How much does attending MVP over a T6 affect your chances? If anyone can answer this, you get a $$$$$prize$$$$$.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Fresh wrote:How much does attending MVP over a T6 affect your chances? If anyone can answer this, you get a $$$$$prize$$$$$.
I'm very interested to know this as well. I would hate to think that I miss out on this great opportunity because I pick Penn, but I'm also not going to pick my school based on a program that I might not get anyway.

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:22 pm

I sent in my application today! =)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:58 pm

Fresh wrote:How much does attending MVP over a T6 affect your chances? If anyone can answer this, you get a $$$$$prize$$$$$.
I would recommend you not worry about SEO when selecting within the T14. You passed the "good school" threshold and are a viable candidate (at least before your interview). I wouldn't turn down big $$$ at Penn to attend NYU at full price just so you can get SEO. If you want to make a move like that based on your goals/preferences go right ahead...but for SEO I do not think it's that big of a deal.

where my prize at?

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:18 pm

Doritos wrote:
I would recommend you not worry about SEO when selecting within the T14. You passed the "good school" threshold and are a viable candidate (at least before your interview). I wouldn't turn down big $$$ at Penn to attend NYU at full price just so you can get SEO. If you want to make a move like that based on your goals/preferences go right ahead...but for SEO I do not think it's that big of a deal.

where my prize at?
Co-sign. Pick the school you wish to attend. It's not likely to change the outcome of your SEO decision.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Rand M. wrote:
Doritos wrote:

where my prize at?
Co-sign. Pick the school you wish to attend. It's not likely to change the outcome of your SEO decision.
Thanks for the advice.

Link to Prize

For the record, I didn't intend on making my likelihood of getting SEO impact my choice of schools, and I hope others don't!

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:32 pm

x
Last edited by Sinra on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Sinra wrote:
Where are you leaning ?
Dunno. Won't lean anywhere until ASW's, a decision from Yale, and hearing back regarding financial aid

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Do they require an UG transcript sent to their NY offices? It was mentioned in the interview (I think) but I don't see anything about it on the website.

Just got my rec letter sent out and will be faxing my acceptances shortly.

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:20 pm

x
Last edited by Sinra on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Just got an invitation for the in-person interview. I am officially nervous as hell!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Just got an invitation for the in-person interview. I am officially nervous as hell!
me too. Does anyone know how scheduling a late interview (early/late march) affects your chances with the program? Do earlier interviews fare better like with law school applications or what?

pennyloafer17

New

Post by pennyloafer17 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 pm

HowdyYall wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Just got an invitation for the in-person interview. I am officially nervous as hell!
me too. Does anyone know how scheduling a late interview (early/late march) affects your chances with the program? Do earlier interviews fare better like with law school applications or what?

I just got an invite for an interview, but what do I do if I can't make any of the interview slots? Will they put up more?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:33 pm

pennyloafer17 wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:

I just got an invite for an interview, but what do I do if I can't make any of the interview slots? Will they put up more?
Yeah it says you can sign up for the next group of slots, but it's best to do it as soon as possible. Considering that you have HYS though I'm sure they'll love you whenever you interview. :D

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:30 am

I'm actually pretty upset that I have to shave. I look weird without a mustache :roll: But, cash rules everything around me and you gotta do what you gotta do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”