SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:58 am

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Sat May 08, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boss

New

Post by boss » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:47 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:look, its 4 am and i clearly have insomnia issues. moreover, i dont really care about the granular details of the argument you're having, so it looks like i screwed up pretty badly by wading into this thread.

but just to humor you, you said that being at a t14 was essentially sufficient for giving one a shot, and from there the interview matters most. to back up that argument, you pointed out that you think there isn't any particular pattern in the schools that interns come from. fair?

that actually isnt how the program works. in fact, the interview is really nothing more than a 20 min discussion that is used to screen for your interest in the program and corporate law. if your chances weren't good before the interview, there isn't much you can do to change them once you're in the room unfortunately.

for better or worse, the quality of one's school is something of a signaling device for a student's strength, and having lots of kids from cls makes seo look far better than maybe a more equal distribution. my example of using gulc and hls just took your logic a bit further. ok, good luck.
I wrote out this long and lengthy explanation on the problems of what you just said, but I decided it would be a waste of both our times. The interview is used to screen (your words), but how much does it matter? Quick and dirty factor analysis: can a weak interview be overcome by a highly ranked school? No. Can a strong interview overcome a lower ranked school? You know it. USC and UCLA proves it.

To humor your hypothetical -- if both the GULC and HLS students have weak interviews, neither get in. If they both have strong interviews, they both get in. If there's only one spot and they both have strong interviews the HLS will probably get in.

hth, you can PM me if you want to discuss a more in-depth factor analysis.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:58 am

To be fair, those who go to Cooley with a full ride have a legetimate shot...

johndh

New

Post by johndh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Rejected via email. Good luck to everyone left. I can't be too upset about missing out with the quality of people I was up against.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:02 pm

johndh wrote:Rejected via email. Good luck to everyone left. I can't be too upset about missing out with the quality of people I was up against.
Sorry :(
Where did you deposit?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johndh

New

Post by johndh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:13 pm

Duke, which I don't think hurt me but probably didn't give me much of a bump either. I thought both interviews went pretty well and my resume looks pretty good, there just wasn't anything to blow them away.

rotflawl

New

Post by rotflawl » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:19 pm

johndh wrote:Duke, which I don't think hurt me but probably didn't give me much of a bump either. I thought both interviews went pretty well and my resume looks pretty good, there just wasn't anything to blow them away.
Sorry to hear that. I am about to send them my Duke confirmation, too. I'm generally a good interviewer, but mine was well below my normal standard. Considerably unique full-time experience, but we shall see how those balance out.

johndh

New

Post by johndh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:31 pm

rotflawl wrote:
johndh wrote:Duke, which I don't think hurt me but probably didn't give me much of a bump either. I thought both interviews went pretty well and my resume looks pretty good, there just wasn't anything to blow them away.
Sorry to hear that. I am about to send them my Duke confirmation, too. I'm generally a good interviewer, but mine was well below my normal standard. Considerably unique full-time experience, but we shall see how those balance out.
Best of luck, I certainly hope Duke gets represented even if it isn't me.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:39 pm

johndh wrote:Rejected via email. Good luck to everyone left. I can't be too upset about missing out with the quality of people I was up against.
sorry to hear that. I was too but it was no schocker i deposited at a non-t14

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:18 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
sorry to hear that. I was too but it was no schocker i deposited at a non-t14
Same. Big congrats to those who did get it and those who will soon!

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:11 pm

So I sent them a confirmation that I had put down a seat deposit, but it was from an online billing company vs. the school itself. The school just sent an e-mail confirmation of the deposit. Should I fax them a copy of this e-mail too? (FYI billing company did mention the name of the school in their e-mail + the $ I gave, though not what it was for).

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:So I sent them a confirmation that I had put down a seat deposit, but it was from an online billing company vs. the school itself. The school just sent an e-mail confirmation of the deposit. Should I fax them a copy of this e-mail too? (FYI billing company did mention the name of the school in their e-mail + the $ I gave, though not what it was for).
Just forward Sari David your email that you just received from your law school. A couple of people have done this without a problem

CoutureChiq

Bronze

Post by CoutureChiq » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Have there been any acceptances as of late?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

T14forME

New

Post by T14forME » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:17 pm

sent copy of my deposit on friday and received request for a follow-up interview this afternoon. :)

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Rejected obviously. I laughed when I got the email because it wasn't as if I was expecting it to be anything but a rejection since I didn't interview. Good luck to everyone else.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:30 pm

groundkontrol wrote:Rejected obviously. I laughed when I got the email because it wasn't as if I was expecting it to be anything but a rejection since I didn't interview. Good luck to everyone else.
Sorry to hear that! What do you think you will be doing for the summer before you attend COLUMBIA! In case you couldn't tell I am excited for you. You will certainly have some great opportunities at Columbia even without this. Best of luck!

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:25 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
groundkontrol wrote:Rejected obviously. I laughed when I got the email because it wasn't as if I was expecting it to be anything but a rejection since I didn't interview. Good luck to everyone else.
Sorry to hear that! What do you think you will be doing for the summer before you attend COLUMBIA! In case you couldn't tell I am excited for you. You will certainly have some great opportunities at Columbia even without this. Best of luck!

Traveling and doing some boring job (probably government related).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Has anyone missed a call from SEO that wasn't an acceptance call? :( I'm in a bit of a panic.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:55 pm

Laina wrote:Has anyone missed a call from SEO that wasn't an acceptance call? :( I'm in a bit of a panic.
congrats.

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:00 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Laina wrote:Has anyone missed a call from SEO that wasn't an acceptance call? :( I'm in a bit of a panic.
congrats.
Thanks! I really hope you're right.

CoutureChiq

Bronze

Post by CoutureChiq » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:17 pm

For those that have heard back, does anyone know when the SEO internships start? When is the last possible day to hear back?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm in!!!! Looking forward to meeting all the rest of you!

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Congrats!

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Congrats Laina, where are you matriculating in the fall?

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:30 pm

I deposited at Penn last week. I think I had a strong interview, so I hope they take me :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”