SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KP429

Bronze

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by KP429 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Stardust: I'm in the exact same boat as you. Honestly, your biggest concern should be getting into a T-14 (well, a T6 to be confident) school rather than worrying about your physical appearance. I highly doubt you'll be turned away because you don't look the part. And if you do, would you really want to still work for SEO anyway?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Stardust wrote:I won't be attending law school for a another year or so, but I've looked into the SEO Corporate Law program and I'm very interested in applying eventually.

My concern is with the application is that they require a picture. I am half white, half Puerto Rican, and have self-identified as Hispanic for as long as I can remember (high school/SAT/undergrad apps/LSDAS all have Hispanic/Puerto Rican marked down as ethnicity). Because of my mixed heritage, however, I don't necessarily "look Hispanic" (and it's also a misconception that everyone of Latino heritage is of darker skin).

From what I've gathered, SEO is very concerned with their image. Does it seem likely that they would reject me/not give me an interview because I don't "look enough like a minority" to them? I think it's ridiculous that if I look a picture in dark lighting or went to a tanning salon or something that I would be "more of a minority" and be better fit for their program.

(Please don't yell at me for this post, this isn't a flame, it's a genuine concern of mine -- and I sure hope that SEO isn't going to discriminate based on skin color! How ironic would that be....)
Shouldn't be a problem. No one is going to say you're not Hispanic enough. Furthermore, if I remember correctly, alex (the first post on this page) also felt he had the same issue as you but he got the internship.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:33 pm

Stardust wrote:I won't be attending law school for a another year or so, but I've looked into the SEO Corporate Law program and I'm very interested in applying eventually.

My concern is with the application is that they require a picture. I am half white, half Puerto Rican, and have self-identified as Hispanic for as long as I can remember (high school/SAT/undergrad apps/LSDAS all have Hispanic/Puerto Rican marked down as ethnicity). Because of my mixed heritage, however, I don't necessarily "look Hispanic" (and it's also a misconception that everyone of Latino heritage is of darker skin).

From what I've gathered, SEO is very concerned with their image. Does it seem likely that they would reject me/not give me an interview because I don't "look enough like a minority" to them? I think it's ridiculous that if I look a picture in dark lighting or went to a tanning salon or something that I would be "more of a minority" and be better fit for their program.

(Please don't yell at me for this post, this isn't a flame, it's a genuine concern of mine -- and I sure hope that SEO isn't going to discriminate based on skin color! How ironic would that be....)
I wouldn't worry too much. I'd assume that anyone who makes a business of interacting with minorities frequently would be fully aware that people of Latino heritage have varied skin tones.

meesawoosa

New

Post by meesawoosa » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:53 pm

Kohinoor wrote:So how do people think they did on their interviews? I got wrecked.
elaborate?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:43 pm

meesawoosa wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:So how do people think they did on their interviews? I got wrecked.
elaborate?
lol. Can't say much at all without risking outing myself. Suffice it to say that I left unhappy. The bad times began when the bus to my interview city was delayed by two hours. I switched into crisis management mode and ended up visiting an old job in the area (imagine walking into a lobby full of suits and doormen while you're in jeans and a sweatshirt with a duffel bag). I talked my way past the guards, then headed up to my floor and changed into my suit in a bathroom stall.

:edit: For clarification suit was in duffel bag. Looked so different walking out that the doormen didn't bat an eyelid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazy_zoologist

New

Post by crazy_zoologist » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:43 am

i guess i could offer a little advice regarding the interview.

seo employs the stress interview techniques so it is normal if interviewers come across as constantly underwhelmed by your responses. it also means that they will actively attack your weakness, either based on your resume or your responses to their questions. the key here is to remain calm, slow down and deliver what you have in mind with a confident tone.

the interview consists of two "modes". it starts with regular questions like "why seo" and "what makes you a fit" etc. resume questions will also come up, so be prepared. The second part is a case study in which you will be given a news paper article. take your time!! make sure you have completely digested the article before signaling that you are ready!!

like someone else has mentioned, your mission here is not to sabotage the interview. that's it. what gets you into the program is a T10 offer. Good luck. :D

ambiguous applicant

New

Post by ambiguous applicant » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:10 pm

Did you guys dress up for the picture?

meesawoosa

New

Post by meesawoosa » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:11 am

dress up?? i just cropped a random photo i had where i didn't look too shiny/atrocious...

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:17 am

I'm extremely curious to know why they need a picture in the first place. The SEO program sounds like a great opportunity, but I'm dubious of the application process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:38 pm

alexb240 wrote:So I didn't bother to read this thread, as it seems to have digressed for quite some time and is now rounding back on to topic. But, I've written a bit about SEO (I was a corporate law intern this past summer) in the past, so I'm happy to offer any advice/information that I can. I wrote about my experience most recently in the "YLS 1L taking some questions" thread (you should be able to search for it), but have also previously written on my interview experience (and I may have one or two other posts discussing my general experience as well).

The next couple of weeks are extremely busy for me (we're beginning our finals period tomorrow), but I'll try and get to questions when I can. Good luck to all those who applied!
Lol couldn't stay away.

meesawoosa

New

Post by meesawoosa » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:40 am

i just had my interview in sf, and i'd be happy to answer any questions by pm

Carnival1860

New

Post by Carnival1860 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:37 pm

Also just had my interview. I found Alex's summary about the SEO process pretty helpful (see above posts). You can also PM me if you want more details and good luck to all!

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:51 pm

Hey guys, just posted it in another SEO thread and thought it might be informative. Here is the break down of the SEO Facebook groups as far as the law schools they attended:

Summer 08 (28 out of 50+ participants)

Harvard - 6
George Washington - 1
Northwestern - 3
Duke - 2
Columbia - 6
Goergetown - 2
NYU - 2
Penn - 1
Berkeley - 1
UVA - 1
Stanford - 1
Yale - 1
Michigan - 1

Summer 07 (33 of 50+ participants)

Columbia - 5
Northwestern - 1
Georgetown - 2
NYU - 5
Harvard - 5
USC - 1
Berkeley - 1
Yale - 3
Duke - 3
Chicago - 3
UVA - 1
Michigan - 2
Vanderbilt - 1

Probably not a truly representative sample, but informative nonetheless. Best of luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:52 pm

meesawoosa wrote:i just had my interview in sf, and i'd be happy to answer any questions by pm
Do they place people in SF? I'd love to work there if that's an option.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:54 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
meesawoosa wrote:i just had my interview in sf, and i'd be happy to answer any questions by pm
No, placements are in NY and DC only, with only a precious few being in DC.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:04 pm

summertimechi wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Bunch of teases. They'll interview you in SF then ship you off to NY :?

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:08 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
summertimechi wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Bunch of teases. They'll interview you in SF then ship you off to NY :?
Ha, well I'm sure it'd be even more frustrating if they only interviewed people in NY. It's a NEW YORK corporate law program, that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:13 pm

summertimechi wrote: Ha, well I'm sure it'd be even more frustrating if they only interviewed people in NY. It's a NEW YORK corporate law program, that's just the way the cookie crumbles.
Yeah, I know. I just had a spark of hope when I saw SF mentioned.

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:23 am

I would love to participate but am worried that the 10k summer is going to slaughter any potential need-based financial aid package I might receive at HYS. Can anyone speak to this problem?

n8sun1

New

Post by n8sun1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:07 pm

What did you guys write for the application essay? I am having trouble figuring out what to say...

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:16 pm

Jibberish. I wrote about jibberish. I don't think they actually even evaluate that. But who knows, I probably won't get it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

0L09

New

Post by 0L09 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:05 pm

Hi Everyone,

For those of you that have already had your SEO interviews, do you know what the next steps are? Will SEO be reaching out to us for another round of interviews (if we passed the first one), or are we just waiting on their answers now?

Basically, is there only one round of interviews or 2 rounds for each candidate?

Thanks!! ^_~

0L09

New

Post by 0L09 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:07 pm

Question 2...

Would anyone know how the firm placement decisions made? Are they made at the SEO level, or do firms pick their interns from the SEO accepted pool? Wonder how they match interests, since SEO never really asked me who my top preferences are.

meesawoosa

New

Post by meesawoosa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:14 pm

i believe that there is only the one round of interviews, and the next step would be to wait to hear back from SEO re: your decision. they don't give out decisions, however, until after they've received your transcript, letter of rec, and proof of enrollment at the school you choose, so for many it ends up being a rather long wait.

as for firm placement, one of my friends asked about this at her interview, and they told her that they try to match up interns with firms based on intern's preference (if they have any) as well as their academic backgrounds/interests and the firm's criteria for who they're willing/able to take on. it sounds like it's mainly at the SEO level, though the firms do get input as to what type of intern they may be looking for.

masterpinky0509

New

Post by masterpinky0509 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:16 pm

0L09 wrote:Hi Everyone,

For those of you that have already had your SEO interviews, do you know what the next steps are? Will SEO be reaching out to us for another round of interviews (if we passed the first one), or are we just waiting on their answers now?

Basically, is there only one round of interviews or 2 rounds for each candidate?

Thanks!! ^_~
There isn't another round of interviews. Basically, you have to keep updating their page to let them know what schools you get into--getting a T14 place is pretty much a prereq for getting an offer. You must also send in an official transcript and a letter of recommendation. Once they have all the info in place, including seeing that you have a T14 acceptance (higher the better), then they take 2-3 weeks to let you know.

At least, that's how they described it to me when I asked about their timetable during the interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”