SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NewToBoard

New

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by NewToBoard » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new here and I am also interviewing for the SEO Corporate Law Internship. I was wondering what the interview process is like, if any of you know anything about it. Summertimechi - did your friends mention whether or not it is a normal behavioral interview, if there are case questions, and if knowledge of law is required?

Also, is there a deadline to send in the transcript or letter of recommendation, or do they kind of just want it to arrive by the time of your interview?

Thanks in advance for the advice. Good luck to everyone!

Board Newbie
Last edited by NewToBoard on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:04 pm

THIS, is why I love posting on TLS. It was caught in my junkmail and I didn't catch it during my quick scan of junkmail for reasonable things. Fortunately, a second check revealed the interview invite. =).

Moonman

New

Post by Moonman » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:13 pm

I got an invite too. Is the housing left up to each person?

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:27 pm

Are these interview times for real? I've found all of 3 cities open -- Chicago, New York and [Arizona]... Question being where in Arizona??

NewToBoard

New

Post by NewToBoard » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:28 pm

In the confirmation e-mail I received, it said to check back onto the scheduling website for exact locations, updates. So I imagine you will find out later where in Arizona.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Moonman wrote:I got an invite too. Is the housing left up to each person?
sorry they want you to cover airfare and housing

NewToBoard

New

Post by NewToBoard » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:43 pm

As far as updating them on acceptances, how bad will it look if you are rejected from the schools on your list? Say, I get into Columbia and down, but got rejected from HYS. Would it be better to leave those off of the application altogether?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:49 pm

NewToBoard wrote:As far as updating them on acceptances, how bad will it look if you are rejected from the schools on your list? Say, I get into Columbia and down, but got rejected from HYS. Would it be better to leave those off of the application altogether?
probably. But if you're in Columbia you're golden

solidusardet

New

Post by solidusardet » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:35 pm

I got SEO info too. Obviously I'm not going to apply - I'm going to get rejected by the two T14 schools I applied to, so there is no point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NewToBoard

New

Post by NewToBoard » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:55 pm

Also, please refer to this FAQ - a lot of basic questions are answered here:

http://www.seo-usa.org/career/page.aspx?pageID=123

--LinkRemoved--

xynder

New

Post by xynder » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:41 pm

Questions:

1.)What's the deal with the "applications with partner firms" section? I haven't applied to any partner firms... I figured they'd just place you if you were accepted for an internship...

2.)Also, I was invited to apply via snail mail. I graduated in December 2007. Am I still considered a recent grad for purposes of the Summer 09 program?

3.)Does LSAT/SAT matter? They ask for it a few times. My LSAT was 164, and I never took SATs or ACTs. Undergrad GPA was 3.92

4.) Is Boalt = autoadmit to SEO?

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:45 pm

What are the advantages of doing this?

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:46 pm

Nevermind I should read the email:

a jump start on the law firm recruiting process, networking with other current and future lawyers, becoming familiar with the inner workings of the law firm environment, and the Corporate Law Institute, a two-week intensive pre-law prep program designed to maximize our students' performance during the critical first year of law school.

But does this really help you with finding employment afterwards?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:50 pm

xynder wrote:Questions:

1.)What's the deal with the "applications with partner firms" section? I haven't applied to any partner firms... I figured they'd just place you if you were accepted for an internship...

2.)Also, I was invited to apply via snail mail. I graduated in December 2007. Am I still considered a recent grad for purposes of the Summer 09 program?

3.)Does LSAT/SAT matter? They ask for it a few times. My LSAT was 164, and I never took SATs or ACTs. Undergrad GPA was 3.92

4.) Is Boalt = autoadmit to SEO?
hi xynder! i keep seein' you all over the place! :)
The "applications with partner firms" section for Corporate Law applicants is just where you put the law schools you apply to. I believe SEO was initially developed for finance/banking students and a lot of the terminology from those applications has been carried over into the Corporate Law apps, so it can be a little confusing. You are still considered a recent grad, so go right ahead and apply. They ask for your LSAT/SAT, but I don't think it matters very much. Again, the Corporate Law application is just a very poorly tweaked version of the application for Banking/Finance undergrads, hence leaving on information like this that's not really pertinent to the Corporate Law applicants. Basically, in the end, it will come down to a good interview and an acceptance to a t14 (some say t10) school. I don't think Boalt is necessarily "autoadmit" to the program, but being ranked as highly as it is, I definitely don't think it'll hurt.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:51 pm

You get to network and a top firm gets a sense of your character. There's also a clerkship program for 1Ls if you do this. So yeah...I think there are some advantages for future employment. Good luck everyone.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:53 pm

silver11 wrote:Nevermind I should read the email:

a jump start on the law firm recruiting process, networking with other current and future lawyers, becoming familiar with the inner workings of the law firm environment, and the Corporate Law Institute, a two-week intensive pre-law prep program designed to maximize our students' performance during the critical first year of law school.

But does this really help you with finding employment afterwards?
It can help you land a 1L summer associate position before you even start law school. I don't know if this will happen in today's crappy economy, but lots of SEO interns have been asked to return for their 1L summer at the end of their internship.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:09 pm

They begin interviewing second week of January. And there are ALOT of slots, so there is definitely a ton of competition.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NewToBoard

New

Post by NewToBoard » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but the publications on the website and brochures that I received in the mail sold it for me! Now it's just about getting in. I don't think the program only looks for T14 or T10...although I'm sure your chances get better the better schools you get into (they ask for admissions letters). Anyway, I checked out their alumni contacts list (of course I can't find it now to post), but there were people from across the board, including (like summertimechi said) Georgetown and even Texas.

Anyone know anyone that can provide first-hand tips regarding the interview. I did some case interviews in college and they didn't all go so well, so if that is a part of it, I'm going to have to practice!

on_ne_sait_jamais

New

Post by on_ne_sait_jamais » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:11 pm

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:
summertimechi wrote:
solidusardet wrote:What does HYSCCN have to do with the internship? I got SEO materials too for Corporate Law, but I'm not sure what the deal is.
The program is home to what TLSers would call a very "prestige whore" mentality: They seem to only accept minorities that will be attending T14 schools. So much so, in fact, that they require a copy of the receipt for your seat deposit before you're notified about whether or not you've been accepted.
Def. And it sort of makes sense considering that no one actually interviews with the firm/bank they end up working at. Literally, interns are sent to employers "sight unseen". They use the prestige of your school/interview/application as a measure of how and/or if you will do okay working at these firms/banks. This strategy is questionable in my mind, but it's the way they do things.
summertimechi wrote: i had thought so too but i just met someone who got in last yr who goes to gtown...
I sort of thought that G'town was a possibility, but I definitely think that NU is not. NU-->NYC (after law school) is less common than GULC--->NYC. U of C would obviously give anyone a much better chance, if we are looking at things in terms of prestige.
KP429 wrote:When is the deadline for this? The 15th? Is it only for 0Ls?
The final deadline is the 15th of Feb. Yes, 0Ls.
You have aboslutely no idea what you're talking... none whatsoever. Can I be any more clear??? You have blatently lied when it comes to your knowledge of NU, and GULC and their respective placement rates in NYC, and NU's ability to place students in SEO. You should not be allowed to post. Do a little bit of research and then come back.

on_ne_sait_jamais

New

Post by on_ne_sait_jamais » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:21 pm

NewToBoard wrote:Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but the publications on the website and brochures that I received in the mail sold it for me! Now it's just about getting in. I don't think the program only looks for T14 or T10...although I'm sure your chances get better the better schools you get into (they ask for admissions letters). Anyway, I checked out their alumni contacts list (of course I can't find it now to post), but there were people from across the board, including (like summertimechi said) Georgetown and even Texas.

Anyone know anyone that can provide first-hand tips regarding the interview. I did some case interviews in college and they didn't all go so well, so if that is a part of it, I'm going to have to practice!
SEO= T14+Howard, Don't know when the Texas person graduated, or could just be an outlier. The only prerequisite is T14, and basic competence in your interview. If you're not 100% sure that you will get into, and attend a T14 you may not want to waste your time and money going to the interview.

NewToBoard

New

Post by NewToBoard » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:24 pm

God forbid the admissions office appreciates that the applicant has gotten into a top school, and actually takes a look at what they have to say in their essays, recs, and interview before making some random choice based on which T14 places better in NYC.

Also, on_ne_sait_jamais, if you are talking specifically to me, I have already gotten into 5 T14s. But thanks for your concern. I'm just trying to give others on this board some hope. :-)
Last edited by NewToBoard on Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:25 pm

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
You have aboslutely no idea what you're talking... none whatsoever. Can I be any more clear??? You have blatently lied when it comes to your knowledge of NU, and GULC and their respective placement rates in NYC, and NU's ability to place students in SEO. You should not be allowed to post. Do a little bit of research and then come back.
Uh...who is this commented directed to?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:27 pm

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
NewToBoard wrote:Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but the publications on the website and brochures that I received in the mail sold it for me! Now it's just about getting in. I don't think the program only looks for T14 or T10...although I'm sure your chances get better the better schools you get into (they ask for admissions letters). Anyway, I checked out their alumni contacts list (of course I can't find it now to post), but there were people from across the board, including (like summertimechi said) Georgetown and even Texas.

SEO= T14+Howard, Don't know when the Texas person graduated, or could just be an outlier. The only prerequisite is T14, and basic competence in your interview. If you're not 100% sure that you will get into, and attend a T14 you may not want to waste your time and money going to the interview.
I'm sure they don't take every T14 applicant. But it does seem (at least on TLS consensus) like that is the prerequisite to have a legitimate chance.

NewToBoard

New

Post by NewToBoard » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:34 pm

I found it!

http://www.seo-usa.org/pdf/CL_Campus_Re ... ntacts.pdf

Obviously these people can be outliers, but I'm generally a positive person and believe that if you aren't in the T14 but have an otherwise strong candidacy, to go ahead and apply anyway. An expensive trip to NYC might not make it worth it, but if you live in or around a major city where interviews are granted, why not take a shot? And when I said UT, I mean USC, which is even lower-ranked.

Cheers!

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:56 pm

any idea what the case study is like: I'm imagining something like the LSAT writing section?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”