SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:22 am

law12type wrote:
salsahips wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:What's that I hear? We need an anonymous spreadsheet? Ooooo look what I found :wink:
Only fill this out if you were given an offer, obviously.
Form:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... E6MQ#gid=0
Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... yQ1E#gid=0
This is great, any accepted people out there please fill it out!
I would be careful about filling out this information. I was the guy who tallied all the information here last year. SEO monitors this thread. I received several PMs from them asking me to take down the information I had posted here last year. I still don't know why it mattered but they seem really into controlling their image.

Obviously they did not figure out who I was in real life but I heard from several other posters that they used the posts on this board to "check up" on their applicants. One person said they brought up some of the posts he made in a different thread with his TLS account during his second interview. I can't verify that information but that is the reason I stopped posting the acceptances last year.
Just so you know, if you are really accepted into SEO and you fill this out, they will probably talk to you one-on-one about this and it's probably going to be very embarrassing for you.

Don't do it. It would be awful to start out on their bad side. You basically get a '2 strikes and your out' type of policy, and this would be awful to have as one of your strikes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:35 am

operagrl71 wrote:So wait do all you guys requesting PM's have follow up interviews? and if so did you already deposit/send in your enrollment forms??

+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:40 am

From the past posts, it seems like SEO does give people follow-up interviews even before receipt of seat deposit.

Does anyone know if most interviewees get follow-up interviews?

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 am

law12type wrote:
I would be careful about filling out this information. I was the guy who tallied all the information here last year. SEO monitors this thread. I received several PMs from them asking me to take down the information I had posted here last year. I still don't know why it mattered but they seem really into controlling their image.

Obviously they did not figure out who I was in real life but I heard from several other posters that they used the posts on this board to "check up" on their applicants. One person said they brought up some of the posts he made in a different thread with his TLS account during his second interview. I can't verify that information but that is the reason I stopped posting the acceptances last year.

Thanks for the heads up.
Last edited by salsahips on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:14 am

The influx of people posting randomly and other people that haven't been in the thread until now asking for PMs just confused the hell out of me. No follow up interview here yet, thought I did well but I guess we'll see soon enough :lol: . I'm over the TLS neuroticism right now (hopefully it won't return until 1l finals) so I'm going to try avoiding graphs, prediction threads and speculation before I end up going crazy again. Someone post up when offers have gone out / have stopped or shoot me a PM when they start please so I know whether to start making summer plans or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 am

I have not submitted a deposit yet but I am not too worried about it. Gonna try and get it in next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 am

Can you guys delete the quotes with the spreadsheet

AS33

Bronze

Post by AS33 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:19 am

hyakku wrote:The influx of people posting randomly and other people that haven't been in the thread until now asking for PMs just confused the hell out of me. No follow up interview here yet, thought I did well but I guess we'll see soon enough :lol: . I'm over the TLS neuroticism right now (hopefully it won't return until 1l finals) so I'm going to try avoiding graphs, prediction threads and speculation before I end up going crazy again. Someone post up when offers have gone out / have stopped or shoot me a PM when they start please so I know whether to start making summer plans or not.
I really like this attitude.

mcenteno

New

Post by mcenteno » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:17 pm

AS33 wrote:
hyakku wrote:The influx of people posting randomly and other people that haven't been in the thread until now asking for PMs just confused the hell out of me. No follow up interview here yet, thought I did well but I guess we'll see soon enough :lol: . I'm over the TLS neuroticism right now (hopefully it won't return until 1l finals) so I'm going to try avoiding graphs, prediction threads and speculation before I end up going crazy again. Someone post up when offers have gone out / have stopped or shoot me a PM when they start please so I know whether to start making summer plans or not.
I really like this attitude.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:12 pm

for those who have emailed them what email address did you use?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:26 pm

+1

JAJAcinco

New

Post by JAJAcinco » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Love the sharing spirit in some of these threads
PM me with that info please! TLS lives on cuz of people like you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:48 pm

JAJAcinco wrote:Love the sharing spirit in some of these threads
PM me with that info please! TLS lives on cuz of people like you!
Did you get a follow-up interview request?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:49 pm

law12type wrote:
salsahips wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:Edited

I have posted this here before and I'll echo it again. Do not put your ish out on the internet like this. Why are you doing it? To satisfy your curiosity? I am an SEO alum and they definitely look at this stuff so why risk this? It can only hurt you. Part of doing SEO is being smart, professional, and using common sense. It's nobody's business what your or SEO's stats are. Just apply, interview, and chill out while you wait to hear back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Were you just referring to posting stats if you were accepted by SEO?

How do you think they feel about having your info on LSN and your TLS profile? And sharing info about your cycle and what not?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Were you just referring to posting stats if you were accepted by SEO?

How do you think they feel about having your info on LSN and your TLS profile? And sharing info about your cycle and what not?
I meant everything. Keep in mind if you are interviewing you are in their system and they have your stats. So if you post something like "AA male, just interviewed today, I have a T6 acceptance" they can easily figure out who you are. Same goes with posting your GPA/LSAT and schools you are accepted into on LSN. It's a small world, especially for URMs, and especially for SEO applicants/interviewees.

You can share your info about your cycle but again, keep in mind that its very easy for people to figure out who you are and look through your post history. I would say don't put together an SEO stat sheet (sounds like they have already requested that you not do that) and be very careful how much of your info you put out on the web. I just don't see the point of it and can only see you potentially outing yourself. I doubt they care if you post info about your cycle but I just don't see the point. Post anonymously (thats what I do) when you share sensitive stuff because it is SO easy to figure out who people are on this forum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:43 am

SEO is almost paranoid in its dealings and goes way overboard. Also, it's easy to justify their infatuation with T10 etc., that's understandable, but how does one explain the fact that they make the ladies "straighten" their hair?

Their misplaced infatuation with stamping out all forms of "ghettoness" is amusing. You'd think they were dealing with kindergartners.

The whole irony is the fact that they interview you on random campuses and once announced rejections on a public forum. Yeah, that's professional. If they're reading this they should realize there is a growing contingent of disillusioned alums out there. I mean it pays but we're not talking SA money here. In fact, one is almost better off finding a position on one's own without the albatross. In time, they'll start instructing candidates on how and when to breathe in a corporate environment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:46 am

Anyone else had their follow-up interview yet? Mind giving a brief general blurb on the format?

How long was it? Was it less informal then the first one? Case Study? Behavioral questions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:SEO is almost paranoid in its dealings and goes way overboard. Also, it's easy to justify their infatuation with T10 etc., that's understandable, but how does one explain the fact that they make the ladies "straighten" their hair?

Their misplaced infatuation with stamping out all forms of "ghettoness" is amusing. You'd think they were dealing with kindergartners.

The whole irony is the fact that they interview you on random campuses and once announced rejections on a public forum. Yeah, that's professional. If they're reading this they should realize there is a growing contingent of disillusioned alums out there. I mean it pays but we're not talking SA money here. In fact, one is almost better off finding a position on one's own without the albatross. In time, they'll start instructing candidates on how and when to breathe in a corporate environment.
Also an SEO alum. Yes, there are things that can be improved in the program but it's still an AMAZING opportunity and benefits everyone involved immensely. I get the sense that there are some alums out there (not you of course) who enjoy the benefits of the program and then proceed to shit on the program. I find that short-sighted and immature.

"In fact, one is almost better off finding a position on one's own without the albatross." That is just plain BS. Good luck being inserted in the summer program of some of the biggest and best law firms in the world the summer before law school using nothing but your own charm and gumption. There is literally nothing someone can do the summer before law school that will better prepare one for getting a big firm job. Nothing.

Like I said, there are deficiencies in the program just like any other program but come on, recognize what a great opportunity SEO was for you and be thankful for the experience. Also, I don't see this growing contingent of disillusioned alums. Everyone, you should do this program because it's clearly the best thing you can do the summer before law school and for those of you that get in and do it please try to not sound like a spoiled, entitled, ungrateful internet troll when you're an alum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:SEO is almost paranoid in its dealings and goes way overboard. Also, it's easy to justify their infatuation with T10 etc., that's understandable, but how does one explain the fact that they make the ladies "straighten" their hair?

Also an SEO alum. Yes, there are things that can be improved in the program but it's still an AMAZING opportunity and benefits everyone involved immensely. I get the sense that there are some alums out there (not you of course) who enjoy the benefits of the program and then proceed to shit on the program. I find that short-sighted and immature.

"In fact, one is almost better off finding a position on one's own without the albatross." That is just plain BS. Good luck being inserted in the summer program of some of the biggest and best law firms in the world the summer before law school using nothing but your own charm and gumption. There is literally nothing someone can do the summer before law school that will better prepare one for getting a big firm job. Nothing.

Like I said, there are deficiencies in the program just like any other program but come on, recognize what a great opportunity SEO was for you and be thankful for the experience. Also, I don't see this growing contingent of disillusioned alums. Everyone, you should do this program because it's clearly the best thing you can do the summer before law school and for those of you that get in and do it please try to not sound like a spoiled, entitled, ungrateful internet troll when you're an alum.

It's amazing how "troll" has come to mean, "anyone who does not agree with me." lol And I tend to actually agree with your view here, but still, I can't stand the knee-jerk pejorative every time someone divulges some opinion that isn't one's own. It's very "This is Amrrrrrrrca, and if you don't like it you can geeeeeeeaaaaaauuuuuuuttttt."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:18 am

SEO alum here and while I certainly got frustrated at time during the program, you have to realize what they're doing is for your own good.
This is a blatant exaggeration. The SEO team never once asked anyone to straighten their hair. One consultant came in and recommended girls change their hair to fit more into the corporate model, but SEO never once even advocated this advice, much less enforced it. There was a HUGE uproar about this and SEO was very embarrassed by the consultant, they won't have her back again. If anyone chose to straighten, perm, or get a weave/wig, it was completely their own choice. One of my best friends in the program has the most beautiful natural hair ever. Constantly well kept. Partners would compliment her on it all the time. SEO isn't going to tell her shit about it.

They are very strict about things that ol' biglaw partners bitch about. Most of their rules came about when partners would call the director and complain about unshaven guys, messy hair, blue shirts, black suits, etc. After going through the 1L firm process and SEO, I can tell you that some partners are EXTREMEEEELY conservative. SEOs policies are structured so that you'll be dressed appropriately for even the most strict partners--therefore never making a sartorial faux pas.
they have to be strict because otherwise people would do whatever the fuck they want to do. they gave us ONE free day during CLI (and just asked that we came presentable and business casual) and people came in spagetti straps and flipflops (dafuq?!!?!). people of color are notoriously late. what do you think would happen if people weren't held accountable for being on time? also, i certainly wouldn't want to be part of a program where its members were known for dressing sloppily, lazily, and completely out of sync with expectations. It sucks while you're doing it, but it's completely necessary for those older conservative partners that will snatch a job out of your hands because you look messy (not shaven or wearing something crazy).
Good luck finding a 0L summer associate position. Also, they'll tell you how and when to breathe in a corporate environment if it's going to cost you a job because you're doing it wrong.

get over your entitled and privileged self and understand that these people are doing what's best for you. it's not a torture camp--it's to solve the problem why there's so little people of color in biglaw. just based off your complaints, and some behavior of SEOs when they loosened up the reigns--i can see why they have to be this way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote: That is just plain BS. Good luck being inserted in the summer program of some of the biggest and best law firms in the world the summer before law school using nothing but your own charm and gumption. There is literally nothing someone can do the summer before law school that will better prepare one for getting a big firm job. Nothing
The chief benefit (as you're aware) is that it gives you some sort of advantage in getting 1L or 2L positions both of which are definitely not outside one's grasp for a minority candidate at the schools they recruit from. Is it a good opportunity? Yes but there are numerous other great(er) opportunities that don't resort to these unnecessary tactics. Goldman Sachs doesn't do this shit. Most of us have the intelligence to function appropriately in a corporate environment and have held professional/quasi-professional/corporate positions before. I understand there are K-JD's in our midst who may need direction but SEO's modus operandi is downright gestapo-esque and counter-productive. Not mad at all, I'm simply offering what in my estimation, is a valid criticism. Whatever image they are trying to project can be achieved with tactful subtlety. I'm surprised they haven't yet resorted to giving the ladies lessons in equestrianism before sending them off to their firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: That is just plain BS. Good luck being inserted in the summer program of some of the biggest and best law firms in the world the summer before law school using nothing but your own charm and gumption. There is literally nothing someone can do the summer before law school that will better prepare one for getting a big firm job. Nothing
The chief benefit (as you're aware) is that it gives you some sort of advantage in getting 1L or 2L positions both of which are definitely not outside one's grasp for a minority candidate at the schools they recruit from. Is it a good opportunity? Yes but there are numerous other great(er) opportunities that don't resort to these unnecessary tactics. Goldman Sachs doesn't do this shit. Most of us have the intelligence to function appropriately in a corporate environment and have held professional/quasi-professional/corporate positions before. I understand there are K-JD's in our midst who may need direction but SEO's modus operandi is downright gestapo-esque and counter-productive. Not mad at all, I'm simply offering what in my estimation, is a valid criticism. Whatever image they are trying to project can be achieved with tactful subtlety. I'm surprised they haven't yet resorted to giving the ladies lessons in equestrianism before sending them off to their firms.
If you're a person of color, you certainly don't need SEO to get a 1L/2L SA. But, it's great for the money and connections though, and it gives you a summer to get ahead of the game and figure out the law school/law firm things WAY AHEAD of everyone else. I made a shitload of contacts through SEO. I didn't even apply to 1L SAs through the regular process--it was all done through recruitment directors/associates/partners I met this summer! Same with our OCI> I have zero intention going through it by my school. I'm tapping on my SEO contacts for callbacks.

Also, in general, what a whiner. If you're dressed the way you should be for the most conservative of partners and you "have the intelligence to function appropriately in a corporate environment", SEO will not be down your back or give a fuck about what you do. they're only gestapo about crap when you're screwing up. so if they were down your back, you are mistaken about your ability to act/dress appropriately for the occassion.

I had work experience and I knew how to act. they never once bothered me about anything. do you know how hard it would be though (and awkward) to single out the k-jd kids?or how much of a hassle it would be to corral certain groups of kids versus others. my impressions was that they speak to us that way as a group for efficiency purposes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:44 am

So I'm assuming that the dress code for most, if not all, of the firms for SEO require you to suit up for work every day?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote: people of color are notoriously late. what do you think would happen if people weren't held accountable for being on time?
I don't even know where to start. Try not to make generalizations on the basis of skin color.
get over your entitled and privileged self and understand that these people are doing what's best for you.
I don't understand why you keep harping on privilege and entitlement unless you consider anyone you disagree with privileged and entitled. In any case, it is not my intention to derail this thread, carry on.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”