SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MissMaroon

Bronze

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by MissMaroon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:42 am

Wtf. I know about the March 22nd deadline thing, but I thought that they're a bunch of T-14 whores. This deadline's too early for people to know if they got a T-14!!

I certainly won't know. They didn't even invite me to have an interview. Ok, so basically, I'm not getting it. But FML for being on the waitlist anyway.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:52 am

MissMaroon wrote:Wtf. I know about the March 22nd deadline thing, but I thought that they're a bunch of T-14 whores. This deadline's too early for people to know if they got a T-14!!

I certainly won't know. They didn't even invite me to have an interview. Ok, so basically, I'm not getting it. But FML for being on the waitlist anyway.
i got this from them after requesting clarification:

"The March 22, 2009 deadline is our notification date. You will hear a final decision by that time."

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:00 pm

I feel bad for everyone who is involved in their application process, so I'm really glad we're all going to be put out of our misery.

Good luck to you!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:04 pm

Hmmmm that is odd they have a March 22nd deadline and I have a March 26th interview.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:07 pm

hombredulce wrote:Hmmmm that is odd they have a March 22nd deadline and I have a March 26th interview.
I strongly suspect that the right hand, left hand and middle hand are all wholly unaware of the actions of their counterparts. I have at least three contradictory messages from them and will drop dead from surprise if I receive a decision this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NightVision

New

Post by NightVision » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:24 pm

Kohinoor and Lex,

Thanks for replying about being unable to update your application. I was afraid i was the only one. And there's a round of interviews in NYC from April 3-4 so I don't think final decisions are coming in until at least mid-April. They're prolly aware that many ppl are still waiting on T-14 acceptances.

sammyb

New

Post by sammyb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:28 pm

when I was called to set up an interview they said they had interview spots left for the next two weeks, so they're still anticipating meeting and interviewing with students (past 3/22). I have my interview on Friday, I'll ask about the decision timeline.

They seemed to be calling all the people that were invited to an interview but didn't sign up (like me) so maybe they're finishing up everything? I've read conflicting reports as to how many people they select to interview (anywhere from 200-300) and that there are 50-80 spots, so who knows.

I completely forgot all about them and just wrote them off, im sure my interview will also pan out to nothing but oh well!

daisyduck

New

Post by daisyduck » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:00 pm

March 22nd deadline? Huh? I'm so confused!
This is what my letter says-
Dear Daisyduck,

Thank you for applying and interviewing for the Sponsors for Educational Opportunity Corporate Law Program.

The Admissions Committee has reserved making a decision on your application pending your law school acceptance. Please know that you continue to be a competitive candidate for our Corporate Law Program, and we ask that you keep our office informed of your law school Admissions status. Once you have been accepted to the law school of your choice, please confirm your attendance as soon as possible by faxing a copy of your acceptance letter and enrollment deposit to the attention of xxx. The Admissions Committee will render a decision within two to three weeks from your law school confirmation.

Once again thank you for your interest in our internship opportunities. We wish you well in the remainder of the application process.

Sincerely,
Someone at SEO.
So, provided my reading comprehension skillz haven't completely denigrated since I graduated, I don't think they're making an offer until after I tell them I'm going to School X for sure. So..... what is this March 22nd deadline you speak of? Have you already sent them your enrollment form or something?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:13 pm

daisyduck wrote:March 22nd deadline? Huh? I'm so confused!
This is what my letter says-
Dear Daisyduck,

Thank you for applying and interviewing for the Sponsors for Educational Opportunity Corporate Law Program.

The Admissions Committee has reserved making a decision on your application pending your law school acceptance. Please know that you continue to be a competitive candidate for our Corporate Law Program, and we ask that you keep our office informed of your law school Admissions status. Once you have been accepted to the law school of your choice, please confirm your attendance as soon as possible by faxing a copy of your acceptance letter and enrollment deposit to the attention of xxx. The Admissions Committee will render a decision within two to three weeks from your law school confirmation.

Once again thank you for your interest in our internship opportunities. We wish you well in the remainder of the application process.

Sincerely,
Someone at SEO.
So, provided my reading comprehension skillz haven't completely denigrated since I graduated, I don't think they're making an offer until after I tell them I'm going to School X for sure. So..... what is this March 22nd deadline you speak of? Have you already sent them your enrollment form or something?
I think I figured it out. I applied to the Corp Law Program but got a response from the Career program. I'm guessing that the career program has the March 22nd deadline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:24 pm

Oh crap, I got the one from the career program too. Great.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:27 pm

So.... did they make a mass mailing error or is there some distinction between those that got the Corp Law email and those that got the Career email?

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:03 pm

jaen78 wrote:Anyone know how many people were invited to interview? I know they only have about 50 internship spots....
200, maybe 200-300

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:07 pm

lex talionis wrote:
jaen78 wrote:Anyone know how many people were invited to interview? I know they only have about 50 internship spots....
200, maybe 200-300
Ouch. I thought it was way more than that. This will make the rejection all the more crushing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:27 pm

Funny SEO Story:

So recently, my brother-in-law was talking to a Tulsa University Law School grad when my Brother-in-law happened to mention I was flying up to NYC for an SEO interview. After my brother-in-law explained the SEO corporate law program to the TU Grad, he was incredulous. He could not believe that a 0L would not only get a Corporate Law internship, but that it was with a top New York firm. He kept asking my brother-in-law if he was SURE it was in NYC, and if he was SURE it was for an internship. After my brother-in-law made it pretty clear that that was indeed what it was for, he tried to downplay it all and say--"well I hope he [referring to me] knows that he isn't going to be working with the lawyers, he will probably just be making copies and sending faxes". And that was AFTER he had tried to get my LSAT score from my brother-in-law.

I have to say, living in Tulsa these past 3 months has taught me 2 things, 1: TU law graduates are convinced that TU is one of the best law schools in the country, and 2: TU Law graduates have convinced everyone who knows nothing about law school rankings that TU Law IS one of the best schools in the country (as demonstrated by my wife's relatives who cannot believe that I didn't apply to TU (and one went so far as to ask if it was because I couldn't get in!).

Anyway, my point is--I think to a certain extent those of us who even got an interview invite, should feel like we are ahead of the curve. So don't worry Kohinoor, something tells me things will work out for you and the rest of us(even if its in the long run).

jubileeez

New

Post by jubileeez » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:02 pm

Kohinoor wrote:The consensus seems to be that they conduct stress interviews? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
i interviewed in NYC, and my interviewer was actually really nice. she smiled and nodded after each of my answers (even after i fumbled on one of them), and chatted casually with me when she walked me out after the interview.

im really concerned about the March 22nd deadline. will deciding too late preclude me from getting a spot? i am currently deciding between HLS and YLS, and YLS's ASW doesn't take place until April 23rd. ...nor have i received my financial aid packet for either school yet. i don't want to rush the decision for SEO, but at the same time, i'd love to have an SEO internship. agh! i emailed them but haven't received a response yet. will update you all if/when i do get a reply.

daisyduck

New

Post by daisyduck » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:08 pm

jubileeez wrote: i interviewed in NYC, and my interviewer was actually really nice. she smiled and nodded after each of my answers (even after i fumbled on one of them), and chatted casually with me when she walked me out after the interview.
Call me cynical, hehe, but maybe it was cos she knew you're HLS/YLS-bound.. ;)

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:11 pm

jubileeez wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:The consensus seems to be that they conduct stress interviews? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
i interviewed in NYC, and my interviewer was actually really nice. she smiled and nodded after each of my answers (even after i fumbled on one of them), and chatted casually with me when she walked me out after the interview.

im really concerned about the March 22nd deadline. will deciding too late preclude me from getting a spot? i am currently deciding between HLS and YLS, and YLS's ASW doesn't take place until April 23rd. ...nor have i received my financial aid packet for either school yet. i don't want to rush the decision for SEO, but at the same time, i'd love to have an SEO internship. agh! i emailed them but haven't received a response yet. will update you all if/when i do get a reply.
I got an email from them telling me to take my time and not worry about the deadline. I just don't know which email to listen to since after that email I got ANOTHER email about the March deadline.

Actually, nevermind. The email I got specifically says to disregard the deadline.

"We understand that most students do not select their law school until mid April and are not rushing you to make that decision. If it becomes an issue on our end we will contact you. Please disregard the previous email"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smack4ud

New

Post by smack4ud » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:36 am

I have an interview tomorrow and I'm scared out of my mind. It's funny because I may not even scratch the surface of the 1st tier let alone T14. I got waitlisted by Notre Dame but probably will end up at somewhere like ASU. Are they going to laugh in my face?

meesawoosa

New

Post by meesawoosa » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:32 pm

just an FYI, the orientation wkend for this yr is the wkend of june 6th, and interns aren't required to be in NYC before then.

dramaqueen_87

New

Post by dramaqueen_87 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:38 pm

hombredulce wrote:Hmmmm that is odd they have a March 22nd deadline and I have a March 26th interview.
+1 mine is on the 27th....

ddp

New

Post by ddp » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:40 pm

daisyduck wrote:
jubileeez wrote: i interviewed in NYC, and my interviewer was actually really nice. she smiled and nodded after each of my answers (even after i fumbled on one of them), and chatted casually with me when she walked me out after the interview.
Call me cynical, hehe, but maybe it was cos she knew you're HLS/YLS-bound.. ;)

+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dramaqueen_87

New

Post by dramaqueen_87 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:43 pm

meesawoosa wrote:just an FYI, the orientation wkend for this yr is the wkend of june 6th, and interns aren't required to be in NYC before then.
that's really helpful info...im trying to coordinate my travel plans incase I get lucky and get accepted...

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:19 pm

smack4ud wrote:I have an interview tomorrow and I'm scared out of my mind. It's funny because I may not even scratch the surface of the 1st tier let alone T14. I got waitlisted by Notre Dame but probably will end up at somewhere like ASU. Are they going to laugh in my face?
You know how people give each other a look when they're so over a guy and his back is turned? My interviewers did that while I was still in the room. True story.

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:30 pm

hopefully I'll get a call soon...

smack4ud

New

Post by smack4ud » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:59 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
smack4ud wrote:I have an interview tomorrow and I'm scared out of my mind. It's funny because I may not even scratch the surface of the 1st tier let alone T14. I got waitlisted by Notre Dame but probably will end up at somewhere like ASU. Are they going to laugh in my face?
You know how people give each other a look when they're so over a guy and his back is turned? My interviewers did that while I was still in the room. True story.
Aw snap. I was scared out of my mind during the interview. Wow it was bad. I had to say to no when asked if I consulted previous SEO alums :[
But they did advise me to get transcripts in as soon as possible... so thats a good sign. But no.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”