SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
unc0mm0n1

Gold

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:23 pm

JoeMo wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:I went through some old posts, but not enough so hopefully sees this and can answer before I spend my Saturday reading this thread :)

How long is the turn around after sending your deposit, rec & official transcript? I'm worried that waiting until March to put a deposit somewhere might hurt my chances (will it fill up?) and who should your rec letter be from? Faculty? Employer? Someone who knows you won't be an embarrassment if forced to speak in front of everyone? Thanks!
REC: Faculty
Turnaround: 2-3 weeks after you submit all required paperwork
March won't be too late as most of us will likely wait to go to ASD/ASW at our different choices before making a deposit. So your chances likely won't be affected. However, if you gave a good interview and the rest of your application is attractive and you send an enrollment letter and all the other stuff now you'd probably have a much greater chance than waiting until March.

I'm currently struggling with this same decision as I'd like to just send them the enrollment deposit and find out but I also don't want to commit this early to anywhere because I'm waiting to hear from others and make my final decision then.
Just so you know they will work with you. I had committed to Berkeley when I got SEO. I then got into Harvard and Yale. They were very friendly and even offered me advice and it didn't affect my application at all when I decided to go to Harvard. The personnel there are extremely friendly and helpful.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:34 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote: Just so you know they will work with you. I had committed to Berkeley when I got SEO. I then got into Harvard and Yale. They were very friendly and even offered me advice and it didn't affect my application at all when I decided to go to Harvard. The personnel there are extremely friendly and helpful.
Of course not, I think it might work a little differently in reverse. Even if you have a massive scholarship elsewhere. It's only going to make you look stronger to Cravath or Jones Day if you are going to have a Yale or Harvard degree than a Berkeley degree.

BTW, congrats and totally secretly jealous. I didn't even throw apps at HYS because the ding would hurt too much.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:I went through some old posts, but not enough so hopefully sees this and can answer before I spend my Saturday reading this thread :)

How long is the turn around after sending your deposit, rec & official transcript? I'm worried that waiting until March to put a deposit somewhere might hurt my chances (will it fill up?) and who should your rec letter be from? Faculty? Employer? Someone who knows you won't be an embarrassment if forced to speak in front of everyone? Thanks!
REC: Faculty
Turnaround: 2-3 weeks after you submit all required paperwork
March won't be too late as most of us will likely wait to go to ASD/ASW at our different choices before making a deposit. So your chances likely won't be affected. However, if you gave a good interview and the rest of your application is attractive and you send an enrollment letter and all the other stuff now you'd probably have a much greater chance than waiting until March.

I'm currently struggling with this same decision as I'd like to just send them the enrollment deposit and find out but I also don't want to commit this early to anywhere because I'm waiting to hear from others and make my final decision then.
Just so you know they will work with you. I had committed to Berkeley when I got SEO. I then got into Harvard and Yale. They were very friendly and even offered me advice and it didn't affect my application at all when I decided to go to Harvard. The personnel there are extremely friendly and helpful.
This is definitely true if you are a smart person that applies earlier, which applies to most of you guys. SEO is always extremely helpful and generous. They're pretty tough on the outside, but they deeply care about you on the inside and will work with you to make sure you're in the best position they can put you in (hence the reason they're so picky about school/geographic placement/polish).

And just so you know, if uncommon had ended up going to Berkley, SEO probs would've put him somewhere in Cali. But it is just as important to note (for all the skeptics) that this did not affect his chances of getting accepted to the program itself. Polish is polish, and Berkeley is good enough to get you into SEOs firms on the west coast, and once SEO likes you, they'll take you and work with firms later to figure out logistics.

Fun Fact: There's only one person in the whole program I remember that went to a west coast school but worked in NYC (as in working somewhere that's not in your school's logical market).

I applied at the last minute and got accepted at the last minute, so the school I enrolled was the final call and making any other choice would've really put SEO in an awkward position, because my school can't put me in places that HY could for the purposes of SEO (i.e., anywhere outside of NYC).

ETA: Oh snap, I almost forgot! SEO will stop you from making stupid decisions. I actually was adamant about working in another market other than NYC (which my school doesn't necessarily naturally place at), and SEO pretty much said I could do what I'd like, but I was really screwing up by not taking their advice. Looking back on it now, they were completely right, and had I followed my own hard-head, I would've really regretted it.

shbe0701

New

Post by shbe0701 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:49 am

kcirdor01

New

Post by kcirdor01 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:06 pm

What do you think my chances will be if I go to GW? I've been accepted to several T10s (including NYU), BUT I got a full-tuition Presidential Scholarship at GWU (can't leave that on the table ITE). I'll be depositing in the next few days...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 pm

kcirdor01 wrote:What do you think my chances will be if I go to GW? I've been accepted to several T10s (including NYU), BUT I got a full-tuition Presidential Scholarship at GWU (can't leave that on the table ITE). I'll be depositing in the next few days...
I don't know but there is a lady from GW in one of the videos on their front page.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 pm

kcirdor01 wrote:What do you think my chances will be if I go to GW? I've been accepted to several T10s (including NYU), BUT I got a full-tuition Presidential Scholarship at GWU (can't leave that on the table ITE). I'll be depositing in the next few days...
Ummm... I'm pretty sure that your reasoning is more than sound. Have you had your interview yet? They ask at your interview where you're leaning and if you say something along the lines of "well, I've been accepted at Michigan and UVA but I also got a full ride at GW and after much analysis GW seems to be the better option ITE" I can't think of too many people that would go "dumb".

Full Disclosure: Edited in case SEO trolls even though I'm pretty "out"

So, with all that said, best of luck and congrats on the full ride to GW!

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:37 pm

Shit i cant believe i just saw this thread. Should i bother this late in the game
Last edited by Mr. Somebody on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:46 pm

[quote="Mr. Somebody"][/quote]

Yes do it! They're still interviewing. Internship doesn't start until May (orientation) and then 8-10 week internship in June/July.

But hurry, I think dead set deadline is fast approaching.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:58 am

JoeMo wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
Yes do it! They're still interviewing. Internship doesn't start until May (orientation) and then 8-10 week internship in June/July.

But hurry, I think dead set deadline is fast approaching.
thanks! Applying tomorrow.

One thing I'm concerned about is that my statement was pi focussed because I was rushing and I thought it'd be easier to write.... I guess I have to make some edits

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:28 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
I don't know but there is a lady from GW in one of the videos on their front page.
Like I said earlier, it's not so much where you get into as your polish and attractiveness as a solid potential biglaw lawyer. Show them other acceptances if you're scared and super neurotic about not getting into the program.

Call SEO and talk to them about it. They're going to tell you to go where you want, as it won't have a significant impact on you chances of getting SEO, which is the correct response.

But note, there was 1 person out of the program (I believe), that went to GW. HYSCCN made up 80% + of the program. I doubt any one of us would've gotten rejected had we picked to go to GW instead, so don't stress about it.

Your school determines placement, not so much acceptance. There was a girl my year who went to University of Houston. WUT? (you're probably asking, how did she get in). Well, it's because U of H does super well in top Texas firms and she was a fantastic candidate, and hence SEO can work with you. Picking U of H over Harvard prob didn't hurt her chances too much. Trust me, SEO can work with GW.

daydreamer

Bronze

Post by daydreamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:20 am

I applied 12-29-11 and still haven't received an interview invitation...should I be worried? The highest ranked school I've been accepted to is Michigan so far, so maybe thats it?

spiritniffler189

Bronze

Post by spiritniffler189 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:34 am

daydreamer wrote:I applied 12-29-11 and still haven't received an interview invitation...should I be worried? The highest ranked school I've been accepted to is Michigan so far, so maybe thats it?
Michigan is the highest ranked school I got into also, and I interviewed a little while ago. It took me almost a month to hear back regarding an interview from applying so I wouldn't worry yet!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:48 am

daydreamer wrote:I applied 12-29-11 and still haven't received an interview invitation...should I be worried? The highest ranked school I've been accepted to is Michigan so far, so maybe thats it?
I applied early Jan and also Mich is my highest acceptance. I've already interviewed. I don't know if I'd say you should worry but just putting your question in context.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:50 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:redacted
I don't know that you have to do that. Mine was a similar situation. However, my resume has a strong corporate presence. In the app there is a spot where you can write a blurb about your interest in Corporate Law, I wrote that. Hope this helps.

I also don't know that I'd recommend rewriting your PS only because I don't know if they do any kind of fact checking and you wouldn't want them to know that you altered the PS that got you accepted. But that's something SEO alumni might be better able to address.

rdnicholson10

New

Post by rdnicholson10 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:00 am

Guchster wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Like I said earlier, it's not so much where you get into as your polish and attractiveness as a solid potential biglaw lawyer. Show them other acceptances if you're scared and super neurotic about not getting into the program.

Call SEO and talk to them about it. They're going to tell you to go where you want, as it won't have a significant impact on you chances of getting SEO, which is the correct response.

But note, there was 1 person out of the program (I believe), that went to GW. HYSCCN made up 80% + of the program. I doubt any one of us would've gotten rejected had we picked to go to GW instead, so don't stress about it.

Your school determines placement, not so much acceptance. There was a girl my year who went to University of Houston. WUT? (you're probably asking, how did she get in). Well, it's because U of H does super well in top Texas firms and she was a fantastic candidate, and hence SEO can work with you. Picking U of H over Harvard prob didn't hurt her chances too much. Trust me, SEO can work with GW.
Happy to hear this considering I will probably be attending U of H and was wondering what my chances are...I intern at Vinson & Elkins (Houston) and they recommended the program to me. Haven't had an interview yet; however, I haven't been rejected either...fingers crossed!!!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:01 pm

rdnicholson10 wrote:
Guchster wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

Happy to hear this considering I will probably be attending U of H and was wondering what my chances are...I intern at Vinson & Elkins (Houston) and they recommended the program to me. Haven't had an interview yet; however, I haven't been rejected either...fingers crossed!!!

I don't remember her name, but she definitely goes to U of H. Maybe you can track her down? The corporate law SEOs all over the US only convene twice during the summer (once for orientation at the beginning and then again at the end for CLI (pretend law school)), so as a NYC intern, I didn't get to know the Texas ones that well.

Work on your polish, and the rest will come naturally.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sn20

Bronze

Post by sn20 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:16 pm

I applied back in November. Should I follow-up somehow if I haven't heard anything yet? I know the process can appear to be largely random and unique to each person but I'm still worried.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:06 pm

sn20 wrote:I applied back in November. Should I follow-up somehow if I haven't heard anything yet? I know the process can appear to be largely random and unique to each person but I'm still worried.
From what I heard staff is really helpful just call.

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:20 am

Last edited by icedflames on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:35 pm

icedflames wrote:I've got my interview on Thursday, any advice?
Is it just full of the normal interview questions?
NO. From what I recall they use the 'stress interview' technique, which means one or more people ask you a bunch of questions rapidly in a way as to make you nervous and under pressure.

And what does everyone men by polish? just dressing well and speaking well?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:05 pm

good to see this topic back up. can't believe it's been a year already

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Neatrends wrote:
NO. From what I recall they use the 'stress interview' technique, which means one or more people ask you a bunch of questions rapidly in a way as to make you nervous and under pressure.

Look is this thread for more details about the interview. I wouldn't say they ask questions in a rapid way--it's more they ask regular questions in a tough manner (phrasing the question someone brashly or sometimes seeming disinterested or unimpressed). It's meant to mimic a tough, big law interview.

I've had ~8-9 1L summer associate interviews and I'd say about 1/3 (maybe a little less) were as tough as my SEO interview (note, associates are all really nice usually, it's the hiring partners that can be the mean ones). One interview was even more hardcore. The partner had his feet on the desk, was checking his phone, and constantly shut down my questions and answers by saying they were irrelevant and meaningless and required more thought--I still got the job! LOL!

By polish, people mean acting as professional as possible. Speaking/dressing appropriately are necessary but not sufficient (i.e., wearing a WHITE SHIRT!!! (if you're a guy) to the interview w/ navy blue or charcoal suit (any other color, including tacky pin stripes is inappropriate for SEO) , belt matching shoes, shoes are shined, MUST be clean-shaven speaking in a professional, normal paced tone. Polish can mean answering questions tactfully, giving well-thought out responses, presence with good, positive, and controlled energy, the ability to act interested and intrigued when maybe you do not really feel that way, having the social skills that would make you a good networker, being able to make great eye contact, ability to act calm, positive, and turn around uncomfortable/negative questions and situations. Most of all, charisma and self-control. When I think of polish, i think of something that has been finely finished with thought and effort who would stick out to you in a room of 78 people as someone you'd want to work for you.

ETA: For those that watched the SEO videos on the website, while most answers are an example of good polish, they were definitely not dressed in SEO attire. I remember this was filmed on the last few days of SEO's CLI, and people were burned out/tired and they rewarded us by letting us dress business casual (as it was the end of summer and during one of NYC's heat waves we had).

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:46 pm

Guchster wrote:
Neatrends wrote:

Look is this thread for more details about the interview. I wouldn't say they ask questions in a rapid way--it's more they ask regular questions in a tough manner (phrasing the question someone brashly or sometimes seeming disinterested or unimpressed). It's meant to mimic a tough, big law interview.

I've had ~8-9 1L summer associate interviews and I'd say about 1/3 (maybe a little less) were as tough as my SEO interview (note, associates are all really nice usually, it's the hiring partners that can be the mean ones). One interview was even more hardcore. The partner had his feet on the desk, was checking his phone, and constantly shut down my questions and answers by saying they were irrelevant and meaningless and required more thought--I still got the job! LOL!

By polish, people mean acting as professional as possible. Speaking/dressing appropriately are necessary but not sufficient (i.e., wearing a WHITE SHIRT!!! (if you're a guy) to the interview w/ navy blue or charcoal suit (any other color, including tacky pin stripes is inappropriate for SEO) , belt matching shoes, shoes are shined, MUST be clean-shaven speaking in a professional, normal paced tone. Polish can mean answering questions tactfully, giving well-thought out responses, presence with good, positive, and controlled energy, the ability to act interested and intrigued when maybe you do not really feel that way, having the social skills that would make you a good networker, being able to make great eye contact, ability to act calm, positive, and turn around uncomfortable/negative questions and situations. Most of all, charisma and self-control. When I think of polish, i think of something that has been finely finished with thought and effort who would stick out to you in a room of 78 people as someone you'd want to work for you.

ETA: For those that watched the SEO videos on the website, while most answers are an example of good polish, they were definitely not dressed in SEO attire. I remember this was filmed on the last few days of SEO's CLI, and people were burned out/tired and they rewarded us by letting us dress business casual (as it was the end of summer and during one of NYC's heat waves we had).

This helps a great deal in defining polish. Wouldn't most or all the things you listed apply in ANY formal interview, though?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Neatrends wrote:
Guchster wrote:
Neatrends wrote:

This helps a great deal in defining polish. Wouldn't most or all the things you listed apply in ANY formal interview, though?
That's exactly the point of SEO's criterion of assessing your value as a candidate. Those are valuable professional skills that are important to most types of jobs, and will be particularly important as a big law lawyer (hence the reason SEO will take/reject based on your ability to embody these things).

I think your point also highlights the fact that there isn't some magical formula or special trick that is SEO-specific.The program recognizes it's a conduit for a professional career and never tries to be anything else (everything it does, it does because those skills/ethics/performances are required of the places they'll put you at). Those places (i.e., V30) just look for the most refined candidates--both in the way your present yourself as well as your background (when you don't have things like grades yet to serve as a more objective standard).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”