SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
maikins

New

SEO Corporate Law

Post by maikins » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:30 am

---
Last edited by maikins on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BananaHammock

New

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by BananaHammock » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:38 am

Minority + HYSCCN = SEO Internship.

Carnival1860

New

Post by Carnival1860 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:04 am

I dont know either...I have just received an invitation for an in-person interview.

solidusardet

New

Post by solidusardet » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:06 am

What does HYSCCN have to do with the internship? I got SEO materials too for Corporate Law, but I'm not sure what the deal is.

Carnival1860

New

Post by Carnival1860 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:08 am

I heard they are snobbish about the law school you will be attending next fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:08 am

I got the interview invite, too.

BananaHammock's equation is almost dead on, but I'd add:

Minority(AsianBlackHispanicNativeAmerican)+T14+Good Interview=SEO Internship.

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:10 am

summertimechi wrote:I got the interview invite, too.

Hmm...I think it's more like T10.

Carnival1860

New

Post by Carnival1860 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:10 am

Haha, I would be glad to agree.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:11 am

solidusardet wrote:What does HYSCCN have to do with the internship? I got SEO materials too for Corporate Law, but I'm not sure what the deal is.
The program is home to what TLSers would call a very "prestige whore" mentality: They seem to only accept minorities that will be attending T14 schools. So much so, in fact, that they require a copy of the receipt for your seat deposit before you're notified about whether or not you've been accepted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:13 am

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:

Hmm...I think it's more like T10.
i had thought so too but i just met someone who got in last yr who goes to gtown...(plus i only have one acceptance to the t14, and it happens to be GULC, so i'm really hoping this is true :oops: :)
Last edited by summertimechi on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:14 am

When is the deadline for this? The 15th? Is it only for 0Ls?

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:16 am

summertimechi wrote:
solidusardet wrote:What does HYSCCN have to do with the internship? I got SEO materials too for Corporate Law, but I'm not sure what the deal is.
The program is home to what TLSers would call a very "prestige whore" mentality: They seem to only accept minorities that will be attending T14 schools. So much so, in fact, that they require a copy of the receipt for your seat deposit before you're notified about whether or not you've been accepted.
Def. And it sort of makes sense considering that no one actually interviews with the firm/bank they end up working at. Literally, interns are sent to employers "sight unseen". They use the prestige of your school/interview/application as a measure of how and/or if you will do okay working at these firms/banks. This strategy is questionable in my mind, but it's the way they do things.
summertimechi wrote: i had thought so too but i just met someone who got in last yr who goes to gtown...
I sort of thought that G'town was a possibility, but I definitely think that NU is not. NU-->NYC (after law school) is less common than GULC--->NYC. U of C would obviously give anyone a much better chance, if we are looking at things in terms of prestige.
KP429 wrote:When is the deadline for this? The 15th? Is it only for 0Ls?
The final deadline is the 15th of Feb. Yes, 0Ls.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:20 am

Yep, only for students accepted and planning to matriculate during the fall. Deadline is feb. 15. There's an earlier deadline of Dec. 15 but i don't think it makes all that big of a difference since that hasn't even rolled around and I've already gotten my invite to interview. Basically, complete your application; if they invite you to interview, don't spazz; then, get into & attend a t14, and you've got a good chance at getting one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:22 am

Where do students typically get placed (geographically)? I already got into a T14 (yay..) how intensive is the application process? What's the pay like (if any)?

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:24 am

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote: I definitely think that NU is not. NU-->NYC (after law school) is less common than GULC--->NYC. U of C would obviously give anyone a much better chance, if we are looking at things in terms of prestige.
Actually a friend of mine got it as an NU matriculant as well. He's an old TLSer and doesn't post anymore but you can read about it in his posts (StanfordHopeful). So I dunno, it's kinda murky, but I'd still say all T14ers would have a good chance once they applied.

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:25 am

summertimechi wrote:Yep, only for students accepted and planning to matriculate during the fall. Deadline is feb. 15. There's an earlier deadline of Dec. 15 but i don't think it makes all that big of a difference since that hasn't even rolled around and I've already gotten my invite to interview. Basically, complete your application; if they invite you to interview, don't spazz; then, get into & attend a t14, and you've got a good chance at getting one.
Summertime:
Does the prestige whore-ness of SEO turn you off? I will probably submit my application within the coming months, but I feel very torn about the whole thing. I have work enough experience to the point where even an internship at a big firm would not do a ton for my resume. Even with all the benefits that you receive, at the end of the day as an intern I can't imagine that you get to do anything substantive.
KP429 wrote:Where do students typically get placed (geographically)? I already got into a T14 (yay..) how intensive is the application process? What's the pay like (if any)?
Most people get placed in NYC, although they do advertise that there are positions in DC. Never heard of anyone doing DC, but I just think that it is a very small program. Process can be long and somewhat frustrating because sometimes you don't hear from them during any sort of reasonable time frame (from what I hear). Pay is $750-$1300/wk.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:32 am

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:Summertime:
Does the prestige whore-ness of SEO turn you off? I will probably submit my application within the coming months, but I feel very torn about the whole thing. I have work enough experience to the point where even an internship at a big firm would not do a ton for my resume. Even with all the benefits that you receive, at the end of the day as an intern I can't imagine that you get to do anything substantive.
Yea, it is a little bit of a turn-off just because it feels like such a closed-minded take on the admissions process. I still applied, though, just to keep options open, and I really want a chance to speak to the interviewer about the program. I can't say whether or not I'd really actually do it because I too have a pretty great job & resume, and also becasue I agree with your point that there doesn't seem to really be as much substantive work that can be done as an 0L in those ten weeks. But I plan to grill my friends some more on their experiences and try to get some stuff out of my interviewer, too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:35 am

summertimechi wrote:
Yea, it is a little bit of a turn-off just because it feels like such a closed-minded take on the admissions process. I still applied, though, just to keep options open, and I really want a chance to speak to the interviewer about the program. I can't say whether or not I'd really actually do it because I too have a pretty great job & resume, and also becasue I agree with your point that there doesn't seem to really be as much substantive work that can be done as an 0L in those ten weeks. But I plan to grill my friends some more on their experiences and try to get some stuff out of my interviewer, too.
Definitely. I definitely plan on approaching it as something that is a possibility, but nothing that absolutely I have to do. I would be happy staying at my current job for those months, and not dealing with living in a box in NYC. Are you in Chicago?

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:37 am

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:
summertimechi wrote:
Definitely. I definitely plan on approaching it as something that is a possibility, but nothing that absolutely I have to do. I would be happy staying at my current job for those months, and not dealing with living in a box in NYC. Are you in Chicago?
Yeah, I live in Chicago, so the moving thing is yet another hurdle for me, too.

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:39 am

summertimechi wrote:
gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:
summertimechi wrote:
Yeah, I live in Chicago, so the moving thing is yet another hurdle for me, too.
I have minor panic attacks when I think about the possibility of moving to NYC for law school, and having to do a mad dash to sell all of my worldly possessions and move myself to New York with two suitcases and one cardboard box.
Last edited by gahhhhhhhhhh on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

missteeno

New

Post by missteeno » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:50 am

Definitely scratch Asian from that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:27 am

missteeno wrote:Definitely scratch Asian from that.
Am Asian, got the interview invite, hope you're wrong.

missteeno

New

Post by missteeno » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:29 am

Sorry, my mistake. Misunderstood the topic. You're right, Asian is included.
legends159 wrote:
missteeno wrote:Definitely scratch Asian from that.
Am Asian, got the interview invite, hope you're wrong.

meesawoosa

New

Post by meesawoosa » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:54 am

i also got the interview invite today.

did any of you manage to figure out the scheduler??? when i tried to select a time slot, every time for every week was gray (not available) in all the cities...

meesawoosa

New

Post by meesawoosa » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:04 am

never mind. figured it out. :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”