SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
J90

Bronze

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by J90 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:19 pm

subtle wrote:
GirlStop wrote:I could be wrong, but I thought the website stated that rec letters are not needed until further notice..?
They appear to change these rules every year. This year they said they'd contact us later if they needed anything further from us.
I heard this as well, after calling. Have not yet submitted anything as a result.

Has anyone who's already interviewed been asked for a rec letter, or heard back further for any means?

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:36 pm

J90 wrote:
subtle wrote:
GirlStop wrote:I could be wrong, but I thought the website stated that rec letters are not needed until further notice..?
They appear to change these rules every year. This year they said they'd contact us later if they needed anything further from us.
I heard this as well, after calling. Have not yet submitted anything as a result.

Has anyone who's already interviewed been asked for a rec letter, or heard back further for any means?
I already interviewed and the only thing they asked me for was an updated transcript and an update on my school decisions so far. Nothing else at all.

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
J90 wrote:
subtle wrote:

I already interviewed and the only thing they asked me for was an updated transcript and an update on my school decisions so far. Nothing else at all.
Got it, good to know - thank you. I'm in the exact same boat (interview was two weeks ago now), I told them I had been accepted via binding ED and brought a transcript along, heard nothing else since.

Let me know if you hear anything more!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 am

subtle wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
subtle wrote:
symphony07 wrote:has everyone who applied before the november deadline received an interview invite? hmmm :(
Nope. I applied well before the November deadline, but I haven't received an invite or anything. I hope this doesn't mean that I'm not getting one. :(
I'm confused. The above makes it sound like you're a current SEO applicant. Also, your LSN indicates attendance of CLS. Please clarify.
I'm nearing the end of a 2 year deferral. I will be attending Columbia this fall, but am a current SEO applicant. I left all of my information on LSN to help anyone with similar numbers.
Gotcha. I didn't even know 2 year deferrals existed. Thanks for clarifying!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:58 am

Those in the know:

Is there a general age range of SEO scholars? Are there exceptions to such ranges? For example, is it common to see an SEO scholar in their late 20s/early 30s here or there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 pm

Got request for rec. letter. did anyone else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got request for rec. letter. did anyone else?
Yep

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:07 pm

was it a form email?

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yep
Me too. Is this a good, or bad sign? They said they usually just ask for the same rec that was given for law school, but should I have my recommender tailor it? Academic, or personal rec?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 pm

txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yep
Me too. Is this a good, or bad sign? They said they usually just ask for the same rec that was given for law school, but should I have my recommender tailor it? Academic, or personal rec?
I don't think its a sign of anything. Before your app can be reviewed it needs to be complete - meaning they need to have a rec letter.

lawprospie

Bronze

Post by lawprospie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yep
I don't think its a sign of anything. Before your app can be reviewed it needs to be complete - meaning they need to have a rec letter.
Wait, for people with recommendation requests did you guys interview already? Mine is coming up really soon.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:19 pm

txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yep
Preferably from an SEO alum. If not, yes, have it tailored.

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:22 pm

lawprospie wrote: Wait, for people with recommendation requests did you guys interview already? Mine is coming up really soon.
I already interviewed and did not receive this request yet, although I spoke with somebody who did interview and then received the request

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawprospie

Bronze

Post by lawprospie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:25 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yep
Preferably from an SEO alum. If not, yes, have it tailored.

Sorry for the 50 million questions, but do they especially like recommendations from an SEO alum? I know some SEO alums and I knew it was an option, but I always thought it was weird.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:34 pm

lawprospie wrote:Sorry for the 50 million questions, but do they especially like recommendations from an SEO alum? I know some SEO alums and I knew it was an option, but I always thought it was weird.
Remember, you are attempting to enter a very close-knit community where everyone knows of/each other. Having an SEO alum advocate for you is considered the best type of recommendation because they have gone through the process and can better assess whether or not you are a good fit for the program. It's not weird, its just how corporate America works (having someone already through the door vouch for you). That was the advice provided to me by alums and that's what I intend to do when I apply.

If you have access to an SEO alum, then absolutely utilize them. If you don't, that's OK too. Not everyone knows an alum.

lawprospie

Bronze

Post by lawprospie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:39 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
lawprospie wrote:Sorry for the 50 million questions, but do they especially like recommendations from an SEO alum? I know some SEO alums and I knew it was an option, but I always thought it was weird.
Remember, you are attempting to enter a very close-knit community where everyone knows of/each other. Having an SEO alum advocate for you is considered the best type of recommendation because they have gone through the process and can better assess whether or not you are a good fit for the program. It's not weird, its just how corporate America works (having someone already through the door vouch for you). That was the advice provided to me by alums and that's what I intend to do when I apply.

If you have access to an SEO alum, then absolutely utilize them. If you don't, that's OK too. Not everyone knows an alum.

Thanks BlaqBella! I'll reach out to the alums I know and see what they say.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:41 pm

BlaqBella wrote:

This is completely new to me. I thought we were supposed to get employers or professors to recommend us. I haven't seen this advice anywhere else in the thread either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:44 pm

lawprospie wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Thanks BlaqBella! I'll reach out to the alums I know and see what they say.
Awesome. I wanted to add, its preferred the alum be an attorney...so not someone who was, for instance, an SEO alum that is currently a 1L or something. :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:47 pm

The reference should be from an employer or professor in your major or in a course relevant to your first choice internship. If you have not declared a major, or have not begun taking courses in your intended major, please request a reference from a professor in a quantitative or analytical course.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The reference should be from an employer or professor in your major or in a course relevant to your first choice internship. If you have not declared a major, or have not begun taking courses in your intended major, please request a reference from a professor in a quantitative or analytical course.
Then why do they have an Alum Reference Form available on the SEO website? Hmmm. Interesting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:56 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Then why do they have an Alum Reference Form available on the SEO website? Hmmm. Interesting.
Why don't you ask them instead of speculating? Have you actually ASKED SEO and confirmed we can just ask any alum to write us a reference?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Why don't you ask them instead of speculating? Have you actually ASKED SEO and confirmed we can just ask any alum to write us a reference?
No need to get an attitude. YES, I did ask and spoke to alums who advised me of same. I am just relaying such information. I am NOT speculating. :roll:

In fact, you haven't provided YOUR source of information. I know where my sources came from, website included. Where did yours? :roll:

Seriously, some folks can be so unappreciative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:10 pm

You do need one from a professor or employer of some kind. If you have an additional one from an Alum that is great, but make sure you read the requirements and include one from a professor/employer.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You do need one from a professor or employer of some kind. If you have an additional one from an Alum that is great, but make sure you read the requirements and include one from a professor/employer.
Does it have to be a current employer? What of those applicants who are several years removed from undergrad and/or who wishes to not use a current employer as a recommender (in an attempt to be discreet of law school plans)? Would a recommendation loaded onto LSAC do?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:20 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You do need one from a professor or employer of some kind. If you have an additional one from an Alum that is great, but make sure you read the requirements and include one from a professor/employer.
Does it have to be a current employer? What of those applicants who are several years removed from undergrad and/or who wishes to not use a current employer as a recommender (in an attempt to be discreet of law school plans)? Would a recommendation loaded onto LSAC do?
No, it's any employer, past or present, or any professor you took some relevant class in. It's pretty straight forward, they just want someone who will be able to speak to the quality of your work experience, or how you do in class etc. An Alum who has never worked with you or taught you can't really do that. You can include an Alum on as additional, they just want at least one recommendation from someone who knows you in a professional/academic capacity.

Don't look into it to much, just follow the directions. If you think you are some special case and don't know if you potential recommender is what they intended, just call them and ask.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”