SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anmo

New

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by anmo » Mon May 03, 2010 8:49 pm

kinch wrote:Also got mine.
+1

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Any lucky bastard land Wachtell?

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Mon May 03, 2010 9:08 pm

x
Last edited by Laina on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Mon May 03, 2010 10:11 pm

I am jealous of you ALL. You guys are going to have such great summers.
And here's an extra congrats to whoever landed Watchell :)

meowmeow

Bronze

Post by meowmeow » Mon May 03, 2010 11:01 pm

whats so great about watchell? Not saying that sarcastic... genuine question?

Is anybody dissapointed with their firm placement?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon May 03, 2010 11:35 pm

wachtell pays first year associates over 300k and its partners over four million dollars

the next firm down pays maybe half as much at each level.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue May 04, 2010 12:08 am

300k for first years? NALP says 165k --LinkRemoved--

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Tue May 04, 2010 12:13 am

Doritos wrote:300k for first years? NALP says 165k --LinkRemoved--
Plus 100% bonus=330k

In this awful year, they still gave out 70% bonuses.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:14 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:wachtell pays first year associates over 300k and its partners over four million dollars
OMG :D I'll make sure to keep that name in mind when applying for jobs

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue May 04, 2010 12:18 am

Rand M. wrote:
Plus 100% bonus=330k

wow

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue May 04, 2010 12:25 am

Doritos wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
Plus 100% bonus=330k

wow
this, my friend, is the credited response.

thing is though, as i'm sure you guys figured, that money isn't exactly free. i think their expected billable hours work out to over 80 per week, so you end up basically working investment banker type hours. i have absolutely no problem with that, but my guess is most people would hate to hand their entire lives over in that sort of way.

UnitarySpace

Bronze

Post by UnitarySpace » Tue May 04, 2010 4:40 am

If you get wachtell you probably won't get asked back during 2L unless you have top notch grades.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Tue May 04, 2010 8:41 am

So let's discuss the fate of us (few?) still waiting...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Tue May 04, 2010 9:03 am

UnitarySpace wrote:If you get wachtell you probably won't get asked back during 2L unless you have top notch grades.
This is probably true, but it is certainly something like a leg up. It has got to be the best asset for you other than all the school stuff. Also, don't forget that Wachtell hires 1Ls, so there are some stepping stones there. It is certainly easier to walk along that gradual path, than to get Wachtell to just hire you straight out at OCI. Top grades, school and credentials are definitely a prerequisite, but plenty with all those things don't get Wachtell. It has to at least be a real advantage over those with similar credentials. If Wachtell is one's goal I think you would rather have it for the summer than not have it.

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Tue May 04, 2010 9:07 am

Core wrote:So let's discuss the fate of us (few?) still waiting...
How many others are there? I'm still waiting (which is kinda a downer seeing as I was probably the first of us to give a seat deposit). I mean, that they haven't rejected us has got to mean something, right? They've certainly rejected other people.

On a side note: I got a wrong number from a NY area code yesterday morning. >.< Horrible.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue May 04, 2010 1:36 pm

TheSharklord wrote:
Core wrote:So let's discuss the fate of us (few?) still waiting...
How many others are there? I'm still waiting (which is kinda a downer seeing as I was probably the first of us to give a seat deposit). I mean, that they haven't rejected us has got to mean something, right? They've certainly rejected other people.

On a side note: I got a wrong number from a NY area code yesterday morning. >.< Horrible.
I'm waiting also. I'm confused as to whether or not they received my deposit information/LOR. They called me on Friday for a phone interview and the first thing the lady asked is "have you deposited at a law school?" I submitted all that information a few weeks ago. I guess I should call.....

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:31 pm

I haven't heard jack since my interview. I sent in the deposit, but have no clue if they received it/lost it/whatever. I really wish they just had some kind of a status checker (even though the law school ones weren't all that helpful).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thanicestone

New

Post by thanicestone » Tue May 04, 2010 3:16 pm

I did confirm (by e-mailing Sari David) that SEO had received my proof of acceptance/enrollment deposit, but that was over two weeks ago (4/13 to be exact). Her response e-mail indicated that I should be hearing from them in two weeks or so. We're definitely in the "or so" phase at this point. I'm also one of those who received notice (dated 4/12) that SEO was holding off on making a decision about my application until receiving my law school enrollment information. Just as an aside, I only had one SEO interview with Sari (which seemed to go reasonably well), and I'm enrolling at HLS.

Based on what I can tell from this thread, they're definitely running a tad behind in notifying those among us who are still eagerly awaiting their decision. How many of us are out there waiting? Please chime in, if you haven't already done so. Since the Facebook group is now locked down (and I didn't want to request to join until I heard that I was in), I'm curious as to how many people have actually been accepted. The last number that we knew had the number in the Facebook group around 20+. If SEO is still going to take 50-60 interns this summer, then there still should be a good number of us awaiting a response.

Does anyone else have any other solid intel to share?

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Tue May 04, 2010 3:23 pm

thanicestone wrote:I did confirm (by e-mailing Sari David) that SEO had received my proof of acceptance/enrollment deposit, but that was over two weeks ago (4/13 to be exact). Her response e-mail indicated that I should be hearing from them in two weeks or so. We're definitely in the "or so" phase at this point. I'm also one of those who received notice (dated 4/12) that SEO was holding off on making a decision about my application until receiving my law school enrollment information. Just as an aside, I only had one SEO interview with Sari (which seemed to go reasonably well), and I'm enrolling at HLS.

Based on what I can tell from this thread, they're definitely running a tad behind in notifying those among us who are still eagerly awaiting their decision. How many of us are out there waiting? Please chime in, if you haven't already done so. Since the Facebook group is now locked down (and I didn't want to request to join until I heard that I was in), I'm curious as to how many people have actually been accepted. The last number that we knew had the number in the Facebook group around 20+. If SEO is still going to take 50-60 interns this summer, then there still should be a good number of us awaiting a response.

Does anyone else have any other solid intel to share?
There are 30+ in the fb group now, and most of us got our placements yesterday or today. I'd say it's not looking good; perhaps they are holding a few apps in case one of the firms requests someone with very specific experience (tech, engineering major, experience in banking, whatever) and they can accept to fill that spot right away.

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Tue May 04, 2010 4:30 pm

*sigh* It'd still be nice if they told us that's where we stood. Some kind of "waitlist" email or something. Those of you who got in (and even us who didn't/still waiting) are amazing candidates, I'm not going to be crushed if it doesn't happen. There are just too many good people. But it'd be nice to have a realistic sense of where things were that wasn't purely conjecture from our end...

Is everyone who didn't get in up for forming our own law firm and farming out internships for ourselves for the summer? =P First 3 people who say yes get to be name partners!

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:49 pm

TheSharklord wrote:*sigh* It'd still be nice if they told us that's where we stood. Some kind of "waitlist" email or something. Those of you who got in (and even us who didn't/still waiting) are amazing candidates, I'm not going to be crushed if it doesn't happen. There are just too many good people. But it'd be nice to have a realistic sense of where things were that wasn't purely conjecture from our end...

Is everyone who didn't get in up for forming our own law firm and farming out internships for ourselves for the summer? =P First 3 people who say yes get to be name partners!
Yes! :D Something I can add to my resume, I'm sure to get off waitlists now! 8)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed May 05, 2010 1:18 am

TheSharklord wrote:*sigh* It'd still be nice if they told us that's where we stood. Some kind of "waitlist" email or something. Those of you who got in (and even us who didn't/still waiting) are amazing candidates, I'm not going to be crushed if it doesn't happen. There are just too many good people. But it'd be nice to have a realistic sense of where things were that wasn't purely conjecture from our end...

YES =)

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Wed May 05, 2010 8:44 am

Okay, so so far it's Sharky, Sakura, and Stanford LLP. I'm thinking the last person should have an S beginning name. I'm from near DC so I'm down for at least having one office there, and surely we'll need an NYC one. Anyone want to expand internationally? =P

UnitarySpace

Bronze

Post by UnitarySpace » Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Rejected today via status checker. Deposited at CLS. I guess I'll just be chillin' this summer. Congrats to all those who got it.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Wed May 05, 2010 5:43 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Wed May 05, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”