SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Rand M. wrote:I made this proclamation earlier in the thread, but I'll make it again. If you are thinking about doing this program, you absolutely need to get off the fence. There is nothing you could do this summer that will be a more worthwhile use of your time. This is the single best thiing you can do for yourself now career-wise. Whatever else you may do likely pales in comparison to the experience, connections, and credentials you'll gain in those 10 weeks. I am an alum. I did the program in DC last year, and I can tell you it was one of the best experiences of my life. If you need to be talked off the fence, I am available by PM. But seriously, there shouldn't even be a question. There is no appreciable downside to going through this. I can 100% say I would not be where I am (in such a great position) if it weren't for SEO. If you want more details, PM me.
I worked with this person and must echo the sentiments...APPLY.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Rand M. wrote:I made this proclamation earlier in the thread, but I'll make it again. If you are thinking about doing this program, you absolutely need to get off the fence. There is nothing you could do this summer that will be a more worthwhile use of your time. This is the single best thiing you can do for yourself now career-wise. Whatever else you may do likely pales in comparison to the experience, connections, and credentials you'll gain in those 10 weeks. I am an alum. I did the program in DC last year, and I can tell you it was one of the best experiences of my life. If you need to be talked off the fence, I am available by PM. But seriously, there shouldn't even be a question. There is no appreciable downside to going through this. I can 100% say I would not be where I am (in such a great position) if it weren't for SEO. If you want more details, PM me.

Thanks for the info, Rand. I found out about this program relatively late, so applied in Late December. Really hopeful that they'll at least give me an interview.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:58 pm

Is it too late to apply and realistically have a shot?

Edit: AA male with acceptances to MVPB so far...don't know how much that matters though.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:02 am

yngblkgifted wrote:Is it too late to apply and realistically have a shot?
Not too late. I applied the end of January and received the interview email on Thursday. Go for it!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03 am

Word. I'm on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:09 am

Are you shooting yourself in the foot without a letter of recommendation? I could use the rec that my employer gave me for law school. What did others do about letters of recommendation?

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:11 am

yngblkgifted wrote:Are you shooting yourself in the foot without a letter of recommendation? I could use the rec that my employer gave me for law school. What did others do about letters of recommendation?
Letters of recommendation are only requested after being invited for an interview. I did not submit a recommendation until being invited for the interview.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:31 am

ksimon2007 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Are you shooting yourself in the foot without a letter of recommendation? I could use the rec that my employer gave me for law school. What did others do about letters of recommendation?
Letters of recommendation are only requested after being invited for an interview. I did not submit a recommendation until being invited for the interview.
TITCR. And definitely apply. There is still time to get it in, and they will definitely give you a look.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:31 am

When it was requested, that is basically what I used as well although just as an fyi there is also an evaluation that must be filled out by your recommender.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:31 am

Crap, I need to get on the LOR. Is it due by the time you have your interview?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:33 am

Knock wrote:Crap, I need to get on the LOR. Is it due by the time you have your interview?
No. It is due before they make a decision on selecting you for the program. (same with official transcripts and your enrollment letter)

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:13 am

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:24 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
Knock wrote:Crap, I need to get on the LOR. Is it due by the time you have your interview?
No. It is due before they make a decision on selecting you for the program. (same with official transcripts and your enrollment letter)
I will not make a deposit anywhere until April. Further, it is possible to make a deposit to more than one school. I am saying all of this to post the following question: Does the initial deposit to the school that you send SEO count as an enrollment letter or must I have paid the full $1000 before it counts?
That is a question that SEO would probably have to answer directly, but from what it seems like on their website, only after the initial deposit... (also because the second deposit for some schools falls later than SEO would like to have their selections made with CLI starting July 20-ish based on last years dates.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:49 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
I will not make a deposit anywhere until April. Further, it is possible to make a deposit to more than one school. I am saying all of this to post the following question: Does the initial deposit to the school that you send SEO count as an enrollment letter or must I have paid the full $1000 before it counts?
That is a question that SEO would probably have to answer directly, but from what it seems like on their website, only after the initial deposit... (also because the second deposit for some schools falls later than SEO would like to have their selections made with CLI starting July 20-ish based on last years dates.)
I'm confused. Why does it matter when CLI starts? That is the end of the program. I may be misreading what you're saying.

SEO will care about the first deposit, but don't plan on getting cute and changing schools unless it has to do with getting off a WL or something like that.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:56 pm

Rand M. wrote: I'm confused. Why does it matter when CLI starts? That is the end of the program. I may be misreading what you're saying.

SEO will care about the first deposit, but don't plan on getting cute and changing schools unless it has to do with getting off a WL or something like that.
When CLI starts doesn't really matter, but I wasn't sure of the start and end dates for the internship/program itself, so I used the CLI date instead. Based on second deposit deadlines (for example NYU last year was, I believe, July 1st), then SEO obviously wouldn't want an enrollment letter after the first and second deposit dates...

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:00 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
Rand M. wrote: I'm confused. Why does it matter when CLI starts? That is the end of the program. I may be misreading what you're saying.

When CLI starts doesn't really matter, but I wasn't sure of the start and end dates for the internship/program itself, so I used the CLI date instead. Based on second deposit deadlines (for example NYU last year was, I believe, July 1st), then SEO obviously wouldn't want an enrollment letter after the first and second deposit dates...
Yeah, that's true. Just clarifying.

Last year's orientation was on or about June 5. Whatever that Saturday was. As far as I know, it is about the same every year. Some people started their internships the week before orientation, and some carried on one or two weeks after CLI ended. So YMMV--everyone's start and end dates will be different and they are completely determined by the firm.

DorianGray89

Bronze

Post by DorianGray89 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:11 pm

So Rand, what kind of work did you do at the firm? What was the bulk of your assignments?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:23 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:So Rand, what kind of work did you do at the firm? What was the bulk of your assignments?
PMs are better. I'll just say that the work varies depending on the firm.

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:18 pm

So, I just filled out an application (and I'm hoping its not too late!), but I was hoping somebody could just confirm my understanding of the process:
1. Filled out app
2. If I make it past a screening, I will be invited for an interview. I need to get official transcripts and LOR sent in ASAP. If no invite, then rejected, correct? This request for an interview comes relatively quickly, within 2 weeks?
3. How long after the interview does the decision come? Is the decision the next part? If you have not yet enrolled at a T14 school but they like you, they basically send you an email saying your app is on hold until enrollment which basically means you're in?
4. Send in proof of enrollment.

Is that about right? Are the timeframes accurate?

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:08 pm

For supporting documents, they said they needed a transcript from all the schools I've gone to. I know that normally this means we have to have it sent directly to them, but in the email, it said we can have it scanned and emailed to them. I have official copies at home (since they are not sealed, can they count as official at this point?). Can I just scan and send?

Thanks

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:11 pm

trudat15 wrote:For supporting documents, they said they needed a transcript from all the schools I've gone to. I know that normally this means we have to have it sent directly to them, but in the email, it said we can have it scanned and emailed to them. I have official copies at home (since they are not sealed, can they count as official at this point?). Can I just scan and send?

Thanks
I'm pretty sure I sent them a scanned (really I think I saved it as a .doc) unofficial copy of my transcript and followed up with an official one much later in the process (I think after my interview). You should be fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:12 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:
trudat15 wrote:For supporting documents, they said they needed a transcript from all the schools I've gone to. I know that normally this means we have to have it sent directly to them, but in the email, it said we can have it scanned and emailed to them. I have official copies at home (since they are not sealed, can they count as official at this point?). Can I just scan and send?

Thanks
I'm pretty sure I sent them a scanned (really I think I saved it as a .doc) unofficial copy of my transcript and followed up with an official one much later in the process (I think after my interview). You should be fine.
Oh, I meant for after the interview. DId you have them sent from your schools directly?

Thanks

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:28 pm

trudat15 wrote:Oh, I meant for after the interview. DId you have them sent from your schools directly?

Thanks
Yes.
DorianGray89 wrote:So Rand, what kind of work did you do at the firm? What was the bulk of your assignments?
The work varies by firm and by city. Some were little more than paralegals and some got to do some pretty substantive work.

Vaguely, from memory, I worked on a litigation matter (background research on a witness, outlining the deposition, sitting in and assisting with the deposition), I did a fair amount of background research for a congressional investigation, and worked on a few corporate matters - creating a database and drafting minutes of a board meeting. They treated me as a regular summer but they had to limit the work to things that you could do without having a law degree/legal training. Overall it was a good experience. And I got to do all the fun stuff summers did.

ALSO: SEO has been sending e-mails saying that because they've expanded the program in just about every region, they have more slots than ever before but have fewer applications than ever before. They've encouraged alums to reach out to 0L's applying to top schools and encourage them to apply to SEO as well. Consider yourselves so encouraged.

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:52 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:
ALSO: SEO has been sending e-mails saying that because they've expanded the program in just about every region, they have more slots than ever before but have fewer applications than ever before. They've encouraged alums to reach out to 0L's applying to top schools and encourage them to apply to SEO as well. Consider yourselves so encouraged.
:shock: :D
makes me feel a little better about my chances despite applying so late!

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Got a letter recently. Never heard of this program before but am really interested... However, more likely than not I will not be attending a t14 school. I am Hispanic with some good w/e and other softs, does anyone think I should apply?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”