SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lndixon

New

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by lndixon » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Really really dumb question but...What is SEO?
Hahahaha what a funny joke! Such a jokester! *rolls eyes*

Really hoping you're joking but here's the site.... http://www.seo-usa.org/career/internshi ... porate-law

I think its too late to apply now but you can get on the train next year (if you do some research)!!

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Are.they still.contacting people for interviews or have they stopped

mcenteno

New

Post by mcenteno » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Applied for corporate law, had my interview over Skype a few weeks ago and have yet to hear back! Got an email response a few days ago confirming that they received all my documents (LOR/transcripts). Anyone hear back yet or know when to expect a decision??

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Hey could you please send me the rest as well? Or anyone else who I has them? Tyia!!!
JustE wrote:Here are the basics...
--LinkRemoved-- Check your inbox for the rest...

How to Prepare

-Know your resume! Anything that is listed on your resume may be asked. Don't list anything that isn't accurate. Review and think about what parts of it might be most relevant to SEO. This includes details about academic work, leadership experience, work history and community involvement.
-Do your SEO homework! Be ready to present an understanding of the SEO mission and talk about how having an internship at SEO is different for working directly for a firm, company or nonprofit.
-View the webinars for all the SEO program areas to learn more about these industries and the SEO internship. Click on Internship Areas, choose your first program choice, than click on the view webinar link.
-Participate in mock interview sessions with SEO alumni or through your campus career services if possible. Practice interviewing with people you know and trust. This should not be the first time that you are sitting in front of people presenting yourself. Even if you just practice with friends or family, it will help to make you less nervous when you are going through the real thing. :P
-Reach out to SEO alumni on your campus (click here for a list of alumni contacts). Learn where they worked as an intern and what technical or industry skills they used on the job. Learn something from them about their experience not only as part of SEO, but as an employee of a partner organization.
-Have a clear understanding of the industry you are applying for and why it is a good fit for you. Industry information is available on our website, career sites such as http://www.vault.com, and in guides that should be available through your career services office.
-Review industry media: the Wall Street Journal, Business Week, the New York Times, other newspapers, websites, television shows, and magazines that address current events tied to your industry area of interest.
-Visit the websites of some of our partner corporations, law firms and foundations. You can get a sense for their missions, histories, new initiatives, organizational structure, divisions, key management and recent changes or announcements.
-Prepare at least two questions to ask the interviews that can help you build on what was covered in the interview or increase your knowledge of the internship experience.

mcenteno

New

Post by mcenteno » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:36 pm

solidusardet wrote:Before you all get deeper into what is invariably going to be an affirmative action debate (read: flamewar), let us be clear about something.

Whatever disparity exists in the achievement gap is the result of the disparity in educational attainment between race subgroups. The basic premise is this - the better educated one's parents, the more likely the child is to be well educated, thus having better academic and income-earning opportunities. Obviously, this sort of causal relationship is skewed to the detriment of blacks, hispanics, and native americans: they tend to have less educational attainment, more single parent households, and lower income than their white peers, which, in turn, affects future academic and income outcomes.

Whatever social stratification we experience in America is not defined by genetics or one's skin color. The social infirmity caused by socioeconomic stratification along race lines has nothing to do with culture or skin color, but rather the education of one's parents and the ability for a student to pursue his or her goals. Constraints, like low income, language barriers, domestic issues, and -some- (not all) sociological influences can have an effect, and the fact is they simply tend to be more pronounced and prevalent for minority subgroups than whites.

Until we figure out, as a country, how to improve educational opportunities for all citizens - not just the wealthy or the privileged - we will continue to face obstacles across all lines - white, black, yellow, and brown.

Finally, whatever benefits are conferred upon underrepresented minorities who aspire for the best schools and better opportunities are really not that big of a deal; there are so very few black, hispanic, and native american prospective applicants that whatever benefit they do get - particularly at the elite schools or in programs like SEO - has comparatively little to do with non-minorities' ability to succeed. You only have to look at the statistics - 4% representation for blacks, hispanics, and native americans (combined?) with even less representation in those coveted, high paying "biglaw" jobs. Trust me - the minority kid getting an internship through SEO is not going to keep you from getting the six figure job.
Years later but still WELL SAID!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten an offer yet?
I also heard a batch of offers went out on Friday (March 9th)...

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Didn't hear that. I imagine someone would have posted if that were the case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 pm

A couple of questions.

1) For those do ended up doing a Skype interview, how did the case study portion play out? Did they just read the case to you, or did they send it to you right before or during the interview. Additionally, A silly question. I expect the interviewer will have your resume already, but are you expected to mail them a printed copy. I'm not very used to a virtual interview.

2) Those those candidates who interviewed around late Feb/early March last year, anyone know the turn around time?

lndixon

New

Post by lndixon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:51 pm

JustE wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The March 9th date was an estimate based on past years. I don't think any offers have gone out yet....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Fujin11

New

Post by Fujin11 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:27 am

Does SEO offer without giving interviews?

I'm asking because I recently received an email saying that they are still reviewing my application and asking for updates but I applied back in December and never received an invitation for an interview so up until now I figured I was out of the running. I'm just wondering if I consider myself still a viable or start looking for something else to do this summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:15 am

Fujin11 wrote:Does SEO offer without giving interviews?

I'm asking because I recently received an email saying that they are still reviewing my application and asking for updates but I applied back in December and never received an invitation for an interview so up until now I figured I was out of the running. I'm just wondering if I consider myself still a viable or start looking for something else to do this summer.
hate to be the bearer or bad news but probably not. it's strange they haven't rejected you yet. you might want to check to make sure they are still reviewing your application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Does anyone know if they're still granting interviews? Just got into Columbia last week and would love to have just a chance!

lsdream

Bronze

Post by lsdream » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if they're still granting interviews? Just got into Columbia last week and would love to have just a chance!
I received an email interview request today!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:20 pm

lndixon wrote:
JustE wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The March 9th date was an estimate based on past years. I don't think any offers have gone out yet....
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lndixon

New

Post by lndixon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I actually received an offer for the D.C. program last week. I'll be at a non-T14 law school in the fall.
How did you receive the offer? Was it via email or phone or what? Also, did the status of your application change on the site?

And congrats!!!! :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:28 pm

lndixon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I actually received an offer for the D.C. program last week. I'll be at a non-T14 law school in the fall.
How did you receive the offer? Was it via email or phone or what? Also, did the status of your application change on the site?

+1 to all of these questions and CONGRATULATIONS!

damn...I better hurry up and deposit asap!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:05 pm

No one freak out about acceptances to the program. I was just told only 2 people have been admitted so far and both had special circumstances for why they received them this early.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:15 pm

lndixon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lndixon

New

Post by lndixon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:No one freak out about acceptances to the program. I was just told only 2 people have been admitted so far and both had special circumstances for why they received them this early.
Oh my goodness thank you for posting this!! This makes me feel so much better! :)

Also, how did you find this out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A couple of questions.

1) For those do ended up doing a Skype interview, how did the case study portion play out? Did they just read the case to you, or did they send it to you right before or during the interview. Additionally, A silly question. I expect the interviewer will have your resume already, but are you expected to mail them a printed copy. I'm not very used to a virtual interview.

2) Those those candidates who interviewed around late Feb/early March last year, anyone know the turn around time?

+ 1. Did people have to send in anything before hand for their Skype interview? Anyone have to do a second interview yet?

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:01 pm

I submitted my app in early December and did not hear a word from them. At this point, I do not expect anything from them. However, an email with the status of my app would be appreciated :cry: When do they usually send rejection notifications?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A couple of questions.

+ 1. Did people have to send in anything before hand for their Skype interview? Anyone have to do a second interview yet?
They just explain the case to you via Skype.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:21 pm

lndixon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No one freak out about acceptances to the program. I was just told only 2 people have been admitted so far and both had special circumstances for why they received them this early.
Oh my goodness thank you for posting this!! This makes me feel so much better! :)
+1

JAJAcinco

New

Post by JAJAcinco » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:17 pm

same here...please share the love!
Mr. Somebody wrote:Hey could you please send me the rest as well? Or anyone else who I has them? Tyia!!!

How to Prepare

-Know your resume! Anything that is listed on your resume may be asked. Don't list anything that isn't accurate. Review and think about what parts of it might be most relevant to SEO. This includes details about academic work, leadership experience, work history and community involvement.
-Do your SEO homework! Be ready to present an understanding of the SEO mission and talk about how having an internship at SEO is different for working directly for a firm, company or nonprofit.
-View the webinars for all the SEO program areas to learn more about these industries and the SEO internship. Click on Internship Areas, choose your first program choice, than click on the view webinar link.
-Participate in mock interview sessions with SEO alumni or through your campus career services if possible. Practice interviewing with people you know and trust. This should not be the first time that you are sitting in front of people presenting yourself. Even if you just practice with friends or family, it will help to make you less nervous when you are going through the real thing. :P
-Reach out to SEO alumni on your campus (click here for a list of alumni contacts). Learn where they worked as an intern and what technical or industry skills they used on the job. Learn something from them about their experience not only as part of SEO, but as an employee of a partner organization.
-Have a clear understanding of the industry you are applying for and why it is a good fit for you. Industry information is available on our website, career sites such as http://www.vault.com, and in guides that should be available through your career services office.
-Review industry media: the Wall Street Journal, Business Week, the New York Times, other newspapers, websites, television shows, and magazines that address current events tied to your industry area of interest.
-Visit the websites of some of our partner corporations, law firms and foundations. You can get a sense for their missions, histories, new initiatives, organizational structure, divisions, key management and recent changes or announcements.
-Prepare at least two questions to ask the interviews that can help you build on what was covered in the interview or increase your knowledge of the internship experience.

ajudk8

New

Post by ajudk8 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:25 pm

Ditto :) Would someone please pm me the questions and case study?
JAJAcinco wrote:same here...please share the love!
Mr. Somebody wrote:Hey could you please send me the rest as well? Or anyone else who I has them? Tyia!!!

How to Prepare

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”