SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hoopydoodie

New

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by hoopydoodie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Wait, what do you mean just heard back from SEO? Were you contacting them specifically about acceptances or did they contact you regarding your selection?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:39 pm

hoopydoodie wrote:Wait, what do you mean just heard back from SEO? Were you contacting them specifically about acceptances or did they contact you regarding your selection?
+ 1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:41 pm

hoopydoodie wrote:Wait, what do you mean just heard back from SEO? Were you contacting them specifically about acceptances or did they contact you regarding your selection?

Yea, sorry for being ambiguous. I sent them an e-mail letting them know I sent in all the documents, including the enrollment form. They sent me a confirmation with the expected timeline of decisions.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote::roll:

Anonymous User wrote:Am I the only one hoping for some 10+ hour days? A huge portion of TLS likes to hate on big law, talk about how soul sucking it is, how you'll want to leave, etc., but ideal like this because they really didnt grasp the concept of what an 70-80 hour work week looks like and then pictured having to do it consistently. I'm kind of looking forward to being able to experience the lifestyle I intend on leading three years from now, and i mean, if I wanted to relax this summer I just wouldn't have applied and went traveling. Seems kind of pointless to want a laid back resume fluffer (since its not really needed assuming you do well 1L), but just my opinion.
+1 on the :roll:

seriously dude?
Anon guy here. Again, I'm not saying they will be kick ass fun days, but if you don't know if you want to work 12 hour days like most of us, why would you not want to experience it BEFORE you commit to going 200k+ into debt? SEO kind of seems like the goal is to give you Big Law experience. A summer wasted and if you find you don't like it seems to be better than three years and $200k but :roll:

Edit: Also heard back from SEO today, not with a decision so it looks like they are probably answering people's questions for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:56 pm

hyakku wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User wrote:Am I the only one hoping for some 10+ hour days? A huge portion of TLS likes to hate on big law, talk about how soul sucking it is, how you'll want to leave, etc., but ideal like this because they really didnt grasp the concept of what an 70-80 hour work week looks like and then pictured having to do it consistently. I'm kind of looking forward to being able to experience the lifestyle I intend on leading three years from now, and i mean, if I wanted to relax this summer I just wouldn't have applied and went traveling. Seems kind of pointless to want a laid back resume fluffer (since its not really needed assuming you do well 1L), but just my opinion.
+1 on the :roll:

seriously dude?
Anon guy here. Again, I'm not saying they will be kick ass fun days, but if you don't know if you want to work 12 hour days like most of us, why would you not want to experience it BEFORE you commit to going 200k+ into debt? SEO kind of seems like the goal is to give you Big Law experience. A summer wasted and if you find you don't like it seems to be better than three years and $200k but :roll:

Edit: Also heard back from SEO today, not with a decision so it looks like they are probably answering people's questions for you.

Did you have an interview?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Yea, I had one a while ago. I'm not sure if they are still doing invites but from looking over the thread last year it seems like less people got interviewed this year and the class is supposed to be bigger, so maybe less people are just posting this year? Also with the Anon change you can't really track how many unique interviews have gone out since the switch so there's that.

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:13 pm

hyakku wrote:Yea, I had one a while ago. I'm not sure if they are still doing invites but from looking over the thread last year it seems like less people got interviewed this year and the class is supposed to be bigger, so maybe less people are just posting this year? Also with the Anon change you can't really track how many unique interviews have gone out since the switch so there's that.

There might also just be less total applicants, which could lead to less interview-worthy applicants. For sure law school applications are down across the board. The drop has actually been very steep this year. (I also heard LSAT takers are down somewhere b/w 13%-20%?!)

Like you said it's hard to compare to last year. They seemed to have been pretty active and organized, and for some reason a lot of people this year "anonymize" the most mundane comments.

law12type

New

Post by law12type » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:30 pm

salsahips wrote:
hyakku wrote:Yea, I had one a while ago. I'm not sure if they are still doing invites but from looking over the thread last year it seems like less people got interviewed this year and the class is supposed to be bigger, so maybe less people are just posting this year? Also with the Anon change you can't really track how many unique interviews have gone out since the switch so there's that.

There might also just be less total applicants, which could lead to less interview-worthy applicants. For sure law school applications are down across the board. The drop has actually been very steep this year. (I also heard LSAT takers are down somewhere b/w 13%-20%?!)

Like you said it's hard to compare to last year. They seemed to have been pretty active and organized, and for some reason a lot of people this year "anonymize" the most mundane comments.
Last year this thread was not in the employment forum so there couldn't be anonymous posts. That is why I had people PM me their stats and we organized on FB as well.

As far as organization, the program itself is somewhat disorganized. They are extremely professional but I don't know anyone who would consider the application process smooth or timely. I think that was my biggest complaint about the experience overall. Keep your heads up because some of the decisions didn't come till May last year.

Also, the program is an awesome but your experience will really vary by firm. Getting into SEO in no way guarantees you a job for 1L or 2L summers. It also has almost no effect on your performance as a 1L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:55 pm

law12type wrote:
salsahips wrote:

Last year this thread was not in the employment forum so there couldn't be anonymous posts. That is why I had people PM me their stats and we organized on FB as well.

As far as organization, the program itself is somewhat disorganized. They are extremely professional but I don't know anyone who would consider the application process smooth or timely. I think that was my biggest complaint about the experience overall. Keep your heads up because some of the decisions didn't come till May last year.

Also, the program is an awesome but your experience will really vary by firm. Getting into SEO in no way guarantees you a job for 1L or 2L summers. It also has almost no effect on your performance as a 1L.
I meant that last year's TLS thread was more organized. Can't speak to SEO. I think they (SEO) should be given some credit in that they are a non-profit, without the benefits of bloated law school budgets. Their staff doesn't look too big and I think Corporate Law is actually their smallest program (could be wrong).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:10 pm

salsahips wrote:

FWIW, I deposited at YHS, no interview invite. Guess I wasn't an interview-worthy applicant...?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
salsahips wrote:

FWIW, I deposited at YHS, no interview invite. Guess I wasn't an interview-worthy applicant...?

Non-URM?

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
salsahips wrote:

There might also just be less total applicants, which could lead to less interview-worthy interviewed applicants. For sure law school applications are down across the board. The drop has actually been very steep this year. (I also heard LSAT takers are down somewhere b/w 13%-20%?!)

Didn't mean to suggest anything negative. Maybe "interviewed applicants" would have been a better choice. I wouldnt give up on interview invites just yet though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:11 pm

I actually agree with this. It would be a good feel for what you are getting into and give you a much more realistic impression of what firm life world be like. If I'm going to be working over the summer I might as well do it right. Plus it's just more time to meet people and I think everyone would have a more favorable opinion of you if you if you were treated as an SA as opposed to a baby paralegal.

callmepuck

New

Post by callmepuck » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:42 am

do you guys think because there is an increase in the class size that will bode well for the lot of us waiting?

lndixon

New

Post by lndixon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:00 am

callmepuck wrote:do you guys think because there is an increase in the class size that will bode well for the lot of us waiting?

seems logical. but that might just be my hopefulness.... :?

AS33

Bronze

Post by AS33 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:43 am

callmepuck wrote:do you guys think because there is an increase in the class size that will bode well for the lot of us waiting?
Waiting for an interview or an offer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lndixon

New

Post by lndixon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:54 am

AS33 wrote:
Waiting for an interview or an offer?
oh... I assumed offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just heard back from SEO. I was told acceptances would be going out late April/early May.

So I guess it's hurry up and wait.

Can anyone else confirm this?

AS33

Bronze

Post by AS33 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:13 pm

I said this earlier, but my interviewer said the same thing to me - that they would start making offers later in April.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:40 pm

has anyone tried calling to check the status of your app (if they received your transcript, etc.)?

Ive emailed them but they havent responded

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone tried calling to check the status of your app (if they received your transcript, etc.)?

I called my interviewer in early March to check on the status of my app

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone tried calling to check the status of your app (if they received your transcript, etc.)?

I emailed them Tuesday asking if they'd received my supplemental info and they emailed back on Wednesday. :)

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:14 am

AS33 wrote:I said this earlier, but my interviewer said the same thing to me - that they would start making offers later in April.

+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:57 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”