SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jaen78

New

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by jaen78 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:16 pm

True statement. I pretty much feel like a baller now that I know how to casually throw "CAPEX" and "equity" into a sentence the proper way.

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:48 pm

Econ minor -- Turns out it was useful after all, 3 hours in total.

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Fri May 01, 2009 6:47 pm

Got my SEO rejection email today. I think they were more than generous in giving me time to give them something to work with--but alas, 4 waitlists and no acceptances= no SEO internship.

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Mon May 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Got firm placement

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:40 pm

treple wrote:Got firm placement
There's a firm placement thread going on in the facebook corporate law group if you want to join.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Thu May 07, 2009 3:36 am

For information for next year applicants. Breakdown of this years class.

Columbia 10
Harvard 9
Stanford 5
Upenn 5
Yale 4
NYU 4
UVA 4
Berkeley 2
Michigan 2
UCLA 1
USC 1
Chicago 1
Cornell 1
Duke 1
Georgetown 1

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:43 pm

Columbia 10
Harvard 9
Stanford 5
Upenn 5
Yale 4
NYU 4
UVA 4
Berkeley 2
Michigan 2
UCLA 1
USC 1
Chicago 1
Cornell 1
Duke 1
Georgetown 1
Thanks A LOT! I've been trying to find this info. I can't believe they only have 1 person from Chicago while they have 5 from Penn. This is making me think that all of this Chicago is declining thing has some truth to it. I mean don't they select law schools based on what the firms say they prefer? I would have though that they would have had 2 Chicago students over 1 UCLA and 1 USC student. Seems like Columbia and Harvard are slam dunks.

mp2012

New

Post by mp2012 » Thu May 07, 2009 5:06 pm

It might be that Chicago has a smaller pool of students of color. I know that I wasn't interested in attending Chicago because I felt that their student body wasn't as diverse as I would have liked.

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Thu May 07, 2009 6:08 pm

mp2012 wrote:It might be that Chicago has a smaller pool of students of color. I know that I wasn't interested in attending Chicago because I felt that their student body wasn't as diverse as I would have liked.
Does Chicago fund minorities well? It seems to me like they don't since they don't really consider need when giving out schollies (I learned this through a conversation I had with their financial aid director at an admitted student's event; apparently they make scholarship decisions even before they've read a student's NeedAccess application). I think this might contribute to the tendency of minorities shying away from UofC in favor of its peers.

As many URMs come from disadvantaged backgrounds, the schools that do consider need (or perhaps give it more weight) like Penn, NYU, Michigan, and Berkeley might seem more attractive since they're more likely to award need-based grants and scholarships (this despite all the glitz and glamour surrounding UofC). And when compared to the T4, schools that practically don't award any need-based money (please correct me if I'm wrong), a URM is likely to still choose them over UofC since they'd be getting "more bang for their buck" at a T4(the exception being CLS; in this case, the candidate's preferences regarding clerkships and big law placement might play a bigger role in their decision-making).

By the numbers (***DISCLAIMER: THIS IS ACCORDING TO LSN***):
* Chicago admitted 22 URMs this cycle.
* Of those 22, only 2 are currently listed as "Attending," 12 are listed as "Withdrawn," and the rest are in limbo.
* In terms of scholarship money: only 7 out of the 22 admitted got schollies, and out of those 7, 6 are listed as "withdrawn" and the only one listed otherwise as undecided got into harvard, got 100 grand from Penn and a full ride at Northwestern (which makes him a likely candidate to withdraw IMO). Furthermore, the average scholly for these 7 was $32k (min was $20k (me); max was $48k), which is pretty descent by Chicago standards but hardly anything to jump for joy about since it's only 17% of total COA over three years (I would calculate comparable stats for the other schools but I have to run). Finally, this can hardly be considered need money alone as the mean LSAT for the scholy-receiving URMs was 168, which is pretty high by URM standards (the GPA was 3.74).

I think Chicago is an amazing school, but if they really want to increase their ethnic and racial diversity, they should consider opening up the bank for that purpose. HYS can get away with not funding URMs (or anyone for that matter), but Chicago--although many of their alumni would disagree--is not in the same league, at least not in the eyes of URMs.

Any thoughts? I'm also curious as to what others' experiences have been like?

This ends my rant for the day. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:12 pm

mp2012 wrote:It might be that Chicago has a smaller pool of students of color. I know that I wasn't interested in attending Chicago because I felt that their student body wasn't as diverse as I would have liked.
TITCR. Chicago's entering class this year is about 170-180, making it smaller than many of the other T-14s.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:25 pm

lll
Last edited by kurama20 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:59 pm

kurama20 wrote: Oh well, I have to say if when I apply I get into CC and Columbia gives me substantially more money I'm picking Columbia. I don't even totally buy the small class thing. They have 5 Stanford grads alone, and 4 Yale grads.
You had that whole argument with mallard in the Duke employment thread and you didn't even apply to law school yet? By how vehement you were, it seemed like you were going to Duke :?:

ohemgee

New

Post by ohemgee » Thu May 07, 2009 11:20 pm

I totally agree. Chicago gave me no money and wouldn't budge, even after I sent other competitive offers from schools ranked higher.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:26 am

I totally agree. Chicago gave me no money and wouldn't budge, even after I sent other competitive offers from schools ranked higher.
Yeah, at the end of the day I might like a school but it still comes down to money.
1. Are you following me? Not even trying to be funny but that is kind creeping me out.
2. To be honest if you all weren't so fixated at proving that Boalt is the hottest thing under the sun and Duke sucks you would have noticed that I hadn't applied yet. Mallard is a know it all who can't stand to be wrong. I could not give a damn whether or not Boalt or Duke is better. I don't go to either one. The bottom line is that when you look at the stats what people say on TLS often doesn't match up with the reality. I said multiple times that I was looking at Duke. I mean even in the post that I used to start the thread I hinted towards that. I never said Boalt sucked. I just said that for people not interested in working in Cali it really isn't any stronger ( really it's probably weaker) than schools like Duke and MVP. I was bringing it up because a lot of posters worship Boalt and they think Duke is crap. Which makes absolutely no sense when you look at the stats. Honestly I can't believe that mallard guy even got pissed off about me saying Duke places better overall than Boalt. I mean seriously who gives a damn? He acted as if I had insulted his mother or something. :D I think some posters get to wrapped up in all this stuff.

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Fri May 08, 2009 10:31 am

Another TLS slugfest in the works.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:58 am

kurama20 wrote:
1. Are you following me? Not even trying to be funny but that is kind creeping me out.
get over yourself. I've been posting in the SEO thread since well before you came along...cause I actually APPLIED for it.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Fri May 08, 2009 1:23 pm

pp
Last edited by kurama20 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jm19

New

Post by jm19 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:13 pm

So it has been a while, but I'm going to try resurrecting this thread because I can see all of you lurking. :D

I'm planning on having my application in for the November 1 deadline. Does anyone know when they begin interviewing? From what I've seen reading through this and related threads, the interviews seem to happen (or at least begin) in late-ish January. Has anyone had an earlier interview date?

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:15 pm

jm19 wrote:So it has been a while, but I'm going to try resurrecting this thread because I can see all of you lurking. :D

I'm planning on having my application in for the November 1 deadline. Does anyone know when they begin interviewing? From what I've seen reading through this and related threads, the interviews seem to happen (or at least begin) in late-ish January. Has anyone had an earlier interview date?

Honestly based off of how they do acceptances and how they evaluate whether or not to accept you ( ie based off of the school you are attending) I'm not even going to apply until January. I honestly don't think it makes a difference if you have the school that they are looking for and the background they are looking for. I'm applying ED to my top choice and then if I get in I will just apply afterwards to SEO.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:16 pm

interview is actually very important in 2 ways:

1. they want to make sure that you seem intelligent. they'll make you read an article and then they'll quiz you about it and force you to make arguments to defend some position. Everyone is nervous but you can't let them see you're nervous. It's grueling but that's how the real world is and it's a good experience.

2. they want to make sure you're corporate minded. If your resume is filled with public interest work, you better have a very good reason why you want to sell your soul to the devil now. (just kidding). the firms they work with expect to fill their SA classes with people like you. this is like an early draft for them to nab the top minorities.

but if you bomb either of those two points getting into yale won't get you a spot in SEO. this program is incredibly competitive, and they have more than enough HYS people to fill the slots (though they don't take them all because they either fail at one of the two above...or in my case both of the two above).

If i were to guess, assuming you're in at a T16ish school, it's 50% the school you get into and 30% interview and 20% if you're the kind of URM they want (not Asian in other words).

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:31 pm

I totally forgot about SEO
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
That is all

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 am

Last edited by Sinra on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jm19

New

Post by jm19 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:40 am

Sinra wrote:Isn't the deadline for the law in February? I hope so! Do you need a letter from a professor or from an employer if you work?
The program has rolling admissions. There are three deadlines: November 1, December 15, and February 15. (I'm not absolutely positive on the last two, so correct me if I'm off.) I'm not certain there is much of an advantage to applying in the first round, especially if interviews don't even begin until January. I'm going to a recruiting event next week, so I'll ask and report back!

One LoR is required.

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:54 am

Last edited by Sinra on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unbeknownst

New

Post by unbeknownst » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:39 pm

jm19 wrote:So it has been a while, but I'm going to try resurrecting this thread because I can see all of you lurking. :D

Wow, I had no idea this was such a huge thing. I got an email sometime last week that encouraged me to apply. It sounded interesting so I applied. Another waiting game for me to play.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”