What is life like as an of counsel lateral to a big law firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is life like as an of counsel lateral to a big law firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:01 am

DOJ litigator thinking of taking an of-counsel position at a mid-size to big law firm.

What should I expect in terms of day-to-day work and what should I expect more broadly?

Anonymous User

Re: What is life like as an of counsel lateral to a big law firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:52 pm

What is your compensation package?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:59 am

Without revealing specifics it’s basically the top level associate pay and bonus structure with a small increase on both. There’s an eat-what-you kill provision in there too which is a lesser version of what the partners get where I get a percentage cut of all the hours billed to a matter that I bring in. That will probably be zero though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:59 am
Without revealing specifics it’s basically the top level associate pay and bonus structure with a small increase on both. There’s an eat-what-you kill provision in there too which is a lesser version of what the partners get where I get a percentage cut of all the hours billed to a matter that I bring in. That will probably be zero though.
What are hours like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:01 am
DOJ litigator thinking of taking an of-counsel position at a mid-size to big law firm.

What should I expect in terms of day-to-day work and what should I expect more broadly?
OP here. Bumping this. Hoping someone can speak to the day to day life and the pressures (if any) of building a book in that first year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
What are hours like?
Agreed on the comp, except at my firm there's not really an eat what you kill provision - if you really bring in anything significant enough to matter you'll just get promoted to non-equity partner.

I'm not a lateral of counsel, but at my firm counsel have an hours reduction vs. the associate requirement (and partners have a further reduction). My hours were basically the same as counsel as they were when I was an associate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
What are hours like?
Agreed on the comp, except at my firm there's not really an eat what you kill provision - if you really bring in anything significant enough to matter you'll just get promoted to non-equity partner.

I'm not a lateral of counsel, but at my firm counsel have an hours reduction vs. the associate requirement (and partners have a further reduction). My hours were basically the same as counsel as they were when I was an associate.
Can you share what the reduction was? The recruiter I'm talking to made it sound like I would basically be working senior associate hours and didn't mention anything about reduced hours requirements.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”