Appellate AUSA Exit Options Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Appellate AUSA Exit Options

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:30 pm

Current COA clerk here. I have an offer for an appellate AUSA position. I previously worked in big law in commercial lit and I also have a big law commercial lit offer with a nice signing bonus.

I am considering which option to go with. I know the appellate division job is considered very prestigious but I am not sure if I want to make a career out of government work (frankly, I don't think I want to just make a gov't salary for the next 20+ years), so I am trying to see what kind of exit options I could have post-appellate AUSA.

On the other hand, I think the appellate job would be way more substantively interesting and enjoyable. I also know that these jobs rarely come up, so there is no guarantee I could bank of pursuing this option later down the road. I know lots of criminal AUSAs get hired as partners/of counsel in big law doing white collar, etc., so I am wondering if there are similar options in private practice coming from an appellate AUSA position.

Thanks!

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Appellate AUSA Exit Options

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:32 pm

This is such a small practice that it's really hard to give you good help.

I'd search at boutique firms and see if they took anyone (Kellog or something) and just check to see if that's something normally done.

You're right that this is a very unique chance and that it may not come again. I'm not sure if that's a reason to take it though if it isn't something you really want.

You're also right about the pay, but it isn't total shit either. You'll be on the AD scale still, I believe, and it's a slower climb, but you'll cap out around 200ish. Not the worst living, hah. Still not sure what exit options would really be though.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Re: Appellate AUSA Exit Options

Post by gaddockteeg » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:39 pm

I've seen appellate ausas go into big firm appellate practices. It's not as common as the regular white collar crim to big law move but part of that is probably mostly due to less appellate ausas in general.

If exit options are the only concern, I say do it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”