How shit would this be Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How shit would this be

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2023 3:15 am

About to lateral as I serve as an assigned “advisor” for an SA at my firm. The timing blows kinda, I get that. But how big of a bridge burn is it do you think irl.

Moneytrees

Silver

Re: How shit would this be

Post by Moneytrees » Wed May 31, 2023 7:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:15 am
About to lateral as I serve as an assigned “advisor” for an SA at my firm. The timing blows kinda, I get that. But how big of a bridge burn is it do you think irl.
Not a big deal at all IMO

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed May 31, 2023 8:01 am

None of my SA mentors were still at the firm when I came back as a 1st year and about 3/4 of the other associates I worked with also left.

I can’t imagine this being a big deal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2023 10:34 am

When I was a summer my officemate lateraled three weeks in. It was great -- I got the office to myself all summer! haha. Don't even remember the dude's name.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2023 12:11 pm

if you felt like you had a real bond, just shoot them a note as an FYI offering to stay in touch with contact information

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2023 3:24 pm

dont think its a big deal. just be courteous and polite about it. If anything, the summer would be interested to know more about biglaw career cycles and why/how people leave.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:07 am

Youll be teaching them a valuable lesson (look out for number one). Great mentorship, truly.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:15 am
Let your advisee know that you’re leaving, give them your contact info, and also give a heads up to recruiting to assign them a new mentor when you leave

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:32 pm

Just leaving in the middle won't burn any bridges. But summers are are a bunch yentas, so you might try giving your mentee an explanation as to why your leaving to put the right spin on it. Summers don't get that people lateral literally all the time, so I could see bad rumors flying if you don't. I had an informal mentor leave soon after I arrived as a 1st year and he gave me the whole "this has nothing to do with this firm, it's a personal decision, this new firm is a big opportunity for me, etc." spiel. Something like that would work, but at a minimum don't badmouth your current firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:32 pm
Just leaving in the middle won't burn any bridges. But summers are are a bunch yentas, so you might try giving your mentee an explanation as to why your leaving to put the right spin on it. Summers don't get that people lateral literally all the time, so I could see bad rumors flying if you don't. I had an informal mentor leave soon after I arrived as a 1st year and he gave me the whole "this has nothing to do with this firm, it's a personal decision, this new firm is a big opportunity for me, etc." spiel. Something like that would work, but at a minimum don't badmouth your current firm.
If you really don’t like a firm and don’t ever want to work there again, it’s probably fine to be honest. When I was a summer, my mentor quit and did a rant about how much he hated the firm. Everything he said ended up being true, so I appreciate him.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”