Piece of Professional Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Piece of Professional Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2023 7:09 pm

Just a quick question. I have my own answers, but just want to get others thoughts.

First, I start a X firm in January following my clerkship. It is very open market. Like extremely so. Is it too early to start emailing partners just introducing myself and saying I look forward to working with them? Or should I even do that at all? Or simply wait till I onboard, and then start reaching out? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Piece of Professional Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2023 7:19 pm

Just introduce yourself and ask people to coffee after you start imo.

PaperView

New

Post by PaperView » Thu May 18, 2023 7:37 pm

T
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:19 pm

The poor wording here makes the timing of this ambiguous.

After you start, then introduce yourself and ask people to coffee. If a first year tried to line up work with me before their start date I'd think they were clueless about how biglaw works or neurotic to the point of being annoying. You're not going to starve for work if you do what the remainder of people starting will do which is be reasonable and wait until after they start to seek work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 19, 2023 2:39 am

I actually disagree with the above, but I would target it to 2-3 partners max who you are interested in working with / establishing a relationship with, and put out gentle feelers. Don't mention work, just stroke egos and say you're looking forward to meeting.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Fri May 19, 2023 4:16 am

PaperView wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:37 pm
T
Anonymous User wrote:

After you start, then introduce yourself and ask people to coffee. If a first year tried to line up work with me before their start date I'd think they were clueless about how biglaw works or neurotic to the point of being annoying. You're not going to starve for work if you do what the remainder of people starting will do which is be reasonable and wait until after they start to seek work.
Unironically this. Partners get dozens - hundreds of emails per day. Don't clutter it more/engage in Outlook terrorism.

If you start in January 2024 - go out and do normal people things while you still can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Fri May 19, 2023 10:20 am

Gatriel wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 4:16 am
PaperView wrote:
T
Anonymous User wrote:

Unironically this. Partners get dozens - hundreds of emails per day. Don't clutter it more/engage in Outlook terrorism.

If you start in January 2024 - go out and do normal people things while you still can.
Agreed. There is literally no work that could be held until then, and they'll get plenty of notice before your start date, so there's nothing to gain here (and potentially something to lose if you're seen as neurotic as someone mentioned above). Just relax.

Fattylaw

New

Post by Fattylaw » Tue May 23, 2023 1:50 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:20 am
Gatriel wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 4:16 am
PaperView wrote:
T
Anonymous User wrote:

Agreed. There is literally no work that could be held until then, and they'll get plenty of notice before your start date, so there's nothing to gain here (and potentially something to lose if you're seen as neurotic as someone mentioned above). Just relax.
"If you start in January 2024 - go out and do normal people things while you still can."

Wow. So this is what the guy just starting off can look forward to.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Tue May 23, 2023 4:25 pm

Yes.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Tue May 23, 2023 8:45 pm

Gatriel wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:25 pm
Yes.
Yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2023 7:45 am

You're not starting for 7 months. This is wayyyyyy too early. If you want to reach out before you start, you could email people in November/December.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”