STB Houston? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

STB Houston?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2023 9:46 am

Can anyone comment on the culture here (personalities, hours, etc.)?

I feel like other threads people seem to say the pecking order in Houston is generally V&E > K&E > STB, but why is that the case? It seems like the deals on the attorney profiles at STB are for funds like BlackRock, KKR, etc. and plenty of 10 figure deals on people’s profiles so what is it that makes other firms in Houston better?

Legitimately just curious as I’m not overly familiar with the Houston biglaw market, but considering a move there.

Anonymous User

Re: STB Houston?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2023 7:00 pm

Paging Simpson and Thatcher Houston. I repeat. Paging Simpson and Thatcher Houston. Houston, we got a problem. Management is tying bonuses to in office attendance.

https://abovethelaw.com/2023/05/simpson ... ttendance/

Neff

Bronze

Post by Neff » Wed May 17, 2023 7:26 pm

Know multiple people who started here and GTFO the first chance they got. Some tough personalities here and difficult clients.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2023 4:38 pm

Neff wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:26 pm
Know multiple people who started here and GTFO the first chance they got. Some tough personalities here and difficult clients.
Were they in the M&A group or finance/banking?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2023 10:56 pm

Also interested whether the personality problems are in M&A, Finance, or CapM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2023 11:02 pm

I feel like other threads people seem to say the pecking order in Houston is generally V&E > K&E > STB, but why is that the case?

For STB vs. K&E, K&E Houston was founded in 2014 by the guy who previously founded STB Houston, and he gutted it of clients and talent when he left and has consistently raided it over the years. K&E has 4-5x as many lawyers in Houston, and is Chambers M&A Band 1 while STB is Band 4. Kirkland had 172 Texas deals in 2022 worth $103 billion, while STB had only 12 deals worth $18 billion.

For STB vs V&E, V&E is the old longtime champion in Texas. It is very much under threat by K&E and the rest of the outside law firms that have come in over the past decade and continue to aggressively pursue market share, but it has so far held its place among the top 3 (unlike Baker Botts and NRF). I’d say it’s more or less tied with K&E and Latham (who you failed to mention), but playing defense while K&E is on the rise and Latham stays steady. V&E is M&A Band 1 (with K&E and Latham), had 102 Texas deals in 2022 worth $76 billion, and its headcount in Houston HQ is about the same as Kirkland.

There are other firms I’d put ahead of STB as well, but those are the two you asked about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2023 11:26 pm

my friend billed around 2800 each year he was there and from what he said that was typical. buyer beware.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”