How do I escape the staff attorney track? Advice on lateraling. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do I escape the staff attorney track? Advice on lateraling.

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2023 9:20 pm

How do I escape the staff attorney track?

T14 2021 grad that struck out with big law and ended up with a staff attorney position.

I make 6 figures in NYC doing the same tasks and work assignments as associates, but I have the title of "staff attorney" and I'm paid a lot less than associates. I also have the same billable requirements. Fwiw, I'm in a corporate practice area.

I took this position because I didnt have any other options at the time and the hiring partner told me that they hire entry levels outside of OCIs as staff attorneys and then have them work with the practice group on a trial run basis for about a year and then promote them to associate if they like them and want to keep them on. During the year, I worked hard and put in good work. I always received good feedback.

Months ago, I received my written evaluations which were all very good and fairly positive saying that I do good work and they're impressed and the partners even wrote that they looked forward to working with me and giving me feedback in the years to come.

Then, later, during my in person evaluations, the partners told me they would not be promoting me to the associate track and suddenly said there were issues with my work product and that they weren't ready to promote me. When I asked why and what I was doing wrong and what was wrong with my work product, they pushed back and told me to come up with reasons on what I could be doing better. They wouldn't give me a straight answer.

Nonetheless, they didn't fire me outright or tell me to leave. My staff attorney position was specifically for entry levels and that too on a temporary basis for a year until the firm decides either to move them to associate or tell them to leave. Instead of letting me go, the partners just kept me on in the same title as "staff attorney" with the same pay.

I suspect the real reason why I didn't get bumped up to associate is because we're all slow and there isn't enough work to go around. My billables these past few months have been low, but so has everyone else in my practice group. I have reached out to the mid-levels and seniors I work with for work but they're all slow and it often takes them weeks to find work for me. I haven't been staffed on any major deals lately.

Anyway, I kept my head down and decided to just keep working for the time being. But, it's morally defeating and frustrating being in this "staff attorney" position. I feel like it's a waste of my T14 degree and working so hard to get into a T14. I also feel discouraged working here and I don't want to work in a place that plays dishonest games. They couldn't give me a straight answer in my review when I asked what I was doing wrong and instead told me to figure it out myself. I just feel morally defeated thinking about this.

Nonetheless, I do know that if I don't get out of this "staff attorney" position quickly, this could be the rest of my career, but the market is so terrible and I already have this staff attorney stench on me. Barely anyone is hiring and would firms even consider a staff attorney?

I'm working with a great recruiter who is helpful and kind and we have been applying to whatever I can that matches my skillset and level, but barely anyone is hiring, and I haven't gotten a single interview.

What do I do? Any advice here? I just feel sad and down that I worked so hard to get into a T14, then ended up in this staff attorney position. I'm feeling a bit hopeless and could use any advice or motivation or encouragement right now. Thanks!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Re: How do I escape the staff attorney track? Advice on lateraling.

Post by existentialcrisis » Mon May 15, 2023 9:57 am

I think your problem is twofold - (1) this is a relatively rare transition, although I have seen it before and (2) corporate work is pretty slowish right now and firms aren't that hungry for additional bodies like they were over the past couple of years.

I think your T14 credentials will help with #1 to the extent the market really picks up, but #2 is out of your control.

Realistically the I'd say the best thing you can do is just stay put and try to do the best work that you can.

If you were in litigation, I'd say apply for clerkships, maybe even state level ones.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Mon May 15, 2023 10:39 am

In the near term, the only way you're becoming a partner-track corporate associate is leaving the NYC market. Even then it'll likely be more like midlaw than biglaw, but at least you'd be on a partner track.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Mon May 15, 2023 10:54 am

I say give it another year but start applying to lateral now. My old firm had a variation of this role and I saw it work out for basically 100% of the staff attys who wanted to pursue associate positions (eventually). They all got promoted internally or lateraled into associate positions.

Your primetime to lateral is as a third year anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”