Good problem to have: AUSA or main Justice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which job should I take?

Trial Attorney at Main Justice
73%
AUSA at midsize west coast city (e.g., Denver, Salt Lake City, Portland, Las Vegas)
27%

Total votes: 75

Anonymous User

Re: Good problem to have: AUSA or main Justice

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2023 7:51 am

I’m the previous poster and your clarification actually makes a lot more sense to me. Thinking about what you’re saying at a granular level at a USAO I can totally understand why it would bother you if a coworker categorically refused to take those cases, meaning other attorneys in your office had handle them. This is especially true in the context of the USAO, because if you’re applying for that job, you know that drugs and guns cases will be part of your docket.

My MJ branch prosecutes very specific crimes, and no one does the typical drugs and gun cases. Obviously, as I mentioned, I still understand that these cases are prosecuted by DOJ and that’s something I can’t entirely separate myself from. But I don’t think there is any problem with potential applicants choosing to not apply to offices or branches that don’t fit with the type of work they are comfortable doing. But if there is work you’re not comfortable doing, and you take the job anyways, I think it can lead to the frustrating situation you were describing.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”