Gunderson Layoffs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
moxcoal

New

Gunderson Layoffs

Post by moxcoal » Thu May 11, 2023 9:28 pm

I’m seeing rumblings about Gunderson laying off first years recently and think they need to be dragged a bit more.. These are associates with just a few months of experience. No doubt they had their pick of firms when recruiting (not sure Cooley would’ve been much better, but maybe WSGR or Fenwick?) and now they’re left out to dry. Fire partners or anyone above their third year who’ll have a remote chance interviewing for a new job. I guess the firm is really in some sht if they need that extra buck.. avoid. Any other firms low enough to can first years out there?

Sackboy

Silver

Re: Gunderson Layoffs

Post by Sackboy » Thu May 11, 2023 9:44 pm

What makes it even more cruel is that, from what I understand, these were first years who had their starts deferred to January... They've literally practiced for like 4 months...

emc91

New

Post by emc91 » Thu May 11, 2023 10:30 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 9:44 pm
What makes it even more cruel is that, from what I understand, these were first years who had their starts deferred to January... They've literally practiced for like 4 months...
How do you even decide who to lay off at that point? I don’t think I was staffed on a deal until I was like 8 weeks in.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Thu May 11, 2023 11:19 pm

Biglaw in general is an overrated place to work. When juniors are just a number and all the partners feel entitled to make millions, stuff like this happens.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2023 1:08 pm

Sackboy wrote:
What happens to first years who are laid off with very little work experience? Would they just hang tight and wait until the market picks back up? Is it possible to lateral back into biglaw if you have to park into midlaw during a recession? I'm unaffected (so far) and am experiencing third hand stress from this

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Fri May 12, 2023 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 1:08 pm
Sackboy wrote:
What happens to first years who are laid off with very little work experience? Would they just hang tight and wait until the market picks back up? Is it possible to lateral back into biglaw if you have to park into midlaw during a recession? I'm unaffected (so far) and am experiencing third hand stress from this
It's pretty much always possible to lateral from "midlaw" to biglaw. But I don't really think super junior associates who get laid off are in a particularly good position to land jobs with these more regional firms, particularly in recession.

Davis & Gilbert won't be anxious to snatch up a junior who spent a few months making closing checklists at SullCrom just because they came from S&C.

If big firms are laying folks off, I wouldn't expect business would be booming at the more regional firms either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2023 1:34 pm

Unfortunately, from what I've heard/read many people that this happened to during 2008 never really recovered (just re biglaw). Makes what firms like Gunderson are doing even more unforgivable/cruel. Law students should remember the partnerships that made clear they absolutely dgaf about you or your futures.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2023 10:02 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 1:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
It's pretty much always possible to lateral from "midlaw" to biglaw. But I don't really think super junior associates who get laid off are in a particularly good position to land jobs with these more regional firms, particularly in recession.

Davis & Gilbert won't be anxious to snatch up a junior who spent a few months making closing checklists at SullCrom just because they came from S&C.

If big firms are laying folks off, I wouldn't expect business would be booming at the more regional firms either.
There’s been some industry press reporting that midlaw demand is up a lot due to greater rate flexibility, but of course it’s hard to tell what’s true and what’s glorified advertising where that’s concerned

Also worth noting that EC/VC work is not especially transferable to non-CA midlaw (not that first-years would have transferable skills anyway)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 13, 2023 5:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:02 pm
existentialcrisis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sackboy wrote:

There’s been some industry press reporting that midlaw demand is up a lot due to greater rate flexibility, but of course it’s hard to tell what’s true and what’s glorified advertising where that’s concerned

Also worth noting that EC/VC work is not especially transferable to non-CA midlaw (not that first-years would have transferable skills anyway)
Midlaw demand really is up. The whole biglaw business model is being tested. Firms are dumping juniors in part because clients don’t want to pay for them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Sat May 13, 2023 8:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 5:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sackboy wrote:

Midlaw demand really is up. The whole biglaw business model is being tested. Firms are dumping juniors in part because clients don’t want to pay for them.
Idk this may be true (and may be true specifically in ECVC, which I wouldn’t know) but first of all people have been saying the “clients won’t pay for Biglaw juniors anymore” thing since like at least 2011 and I’ve never really seen any actual evidence of it.

Second of all, look it may be true about the rate sensitivity thing, and it would even kind of make sense, but 90% of the time I hear stuff about that, it’s coming from smaller firm marketing materials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 13, 2023 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sackboy wrote:

yeah why wouldn’t you do the exact same job for less money and less prestige

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2023 2:41 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 8:54 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sackboy wrote:

Idk this may be true (and may be true specifically in ECVC, which I wouldn’t know) but first of all people have been saying the “clients won’t pay for Biglaw juniors anymore” thing since like at least 2011 and I’ve never really seen any actual evidence of it.

Second of all, look it may be true about the rate sensitivity thing, and it would even kind of make sense, but 90% of the time I hear stuff about that, it’s coming from smaller firm marketing materials.
Junior associate billing rates, and junior associate salaries, are way up since 2011. I have seen multiple situations where our clients complained about or flat out declined our rates, and also specifically complained about junior rates. and my practice is heavily slanted toward PE, who are the clients you'd think would be most willing to pay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2023 11:04 am

Not if you factor in inflation. 2011 was a while ago. Inflation since 2011 to today is a cumulative 35%.

1st year biglaw salary in 2011 was $160K. Adjusted for inflation, that would be $216K, which is actually very slightly above the current 1st year salary of $215K. So actually, junior salary has stayed almost exactly the same and in fact has decreased a negligible amount.

I'm not quite as sure on the billing rates, since those vary by firms and aren't as public. But unless they have increased by more than 35% since 2011, then they haven't actually increased in terms of real prices.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2023 2:40 pm

The firm told incoming summers that they won’t be guaranteed full time offers and should look for other options if possible… Stay away.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2023 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 2:40 pm
The firm told incoming summers that they won’t be guaranteed full time offers and should look for other options if possible… Stay away.
Was that in an email or verbally in a meeting? I’m just trying to picture the scene.. what a way to kick off the summer

- moxcoal (I can’t with these quote buttons on mobile..)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2023 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 3:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Was that in an email or verbally in a meeting? I’m just trying to picture the scene.. what a way to kick off the summer

- moxcoal (I can’t with these quote buttons on mobile..)
Meeting

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2023 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 11:04 am
Not if you factor in inflation. 2011 was a while ago. Inflation since 2011 to today is a cumulative 35%.

1st year biglaw salary in 2011 was $160K. Adjusted for inflation, that would be $216K, which is actually very slightly above the current 1st year salary of $215K. So actually, junior salary has stayed almost exactly the same and in fact has decreased a negligible amount.

I'm not quite as sure on the billing rates, since those vary by firms and aren't as public. But unless they have increased by more than 35% since 2011, then they haven't actually increased in terms of real prices.
Billing rates have gone up a ton. In 2011, top partners were at around $1000/hour. Now, second years get billed out at that rate and partners are up to $2000. Firms are definitely coming away with more money these days compared to salary payouts.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... 2028728234

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/business- ... f-beholder

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2023 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 2:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sackboy wrote:

yeah why wouldn’t you do the exact same job for less money and less prestige
The real issue is the paycut you take to work in midlaw. Such a TLS moment to focus on P R E S T I G E rather than the obvious, tangible financial disadvantage lmao

I can, however, vouch for the fact that midlaw firms are picking up a number of laid off associates. Bunch of my former colleagues are in that boat.

PaperView

New

Post by PaperView » Mon May 15, 2023 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Crazy if true.

Also had no idea even Cravath has laid off associates.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Tue May 16, 2023 6:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 11:04 am

Yeah, this isn’t how clients think about the rates. Nobody is going to be like, well ground beef, rents and gasoline are up, so it’s totally chill that my outside counsel rates are going up. They just get mad the rates are up and DGAF what eggs cost.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2023 1:55 pm

PaperView wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 11:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Crazy if true.

Also had no idea even Cravath has laid off associates.
Not really, they laid off people in the London office. It's apparently not related to the US economic situation

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2023 2:01 pm

Wait what? Where's this coming from about Cravath? That's pretty major news, even if it's just the London office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2023 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 2:01 pm
Wait what? Where's this coming from about Cravath? That's pretty major news, even if it's just the London office.
https://abovethelaw.com/2023/05/cravath-layoffs-london/

Basically the market for US high yield issuances out of London/Europe seems to be softer than it's been for a while (and COLA probably added to bottom line costs when they're looking for ways to pay rainmakers more to keep them). They've also brought in a UK finance team - the firm's never practiced English law before - and probably figure that team can handle the "international advisory" stuff that was being done by the US lawyers in London before farming things in to New York.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2023 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
While I don’t doubt the firm will tell summers this, I doubt this has happened yet since summers start next Monday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2023 1:21 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”