Big Law -> AUSA timing and opportunities? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law -> AUSA timing and opportunities?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2023 10:12 am

Big law senior associate here. Eligible for partner in 1-2 years. I like the firm, but I’m also really curious about doing a stint (2-5 years?) as an AUSA. Two main questions:

1) Is it now or never for an AUSA gig? I’ve also kicked around the idea of going for partner and if I make it, trying it out for a few years then making a go for AUSA for a while. Would the USAO ever hire a BL partner? Or is that way too late?

2) Anyone have any experience/insight on whether an AUSA stint can be valuable in big law, outside a white collar practice? I understand there are many BL white collar partners with AUSA experience, but what about other lit practices? And can AUSA experience net a larger paycheck/set you up for being a BL trial attorney (there are a handful of attys at my firm who do all the trials; wondering if AUSA experience could set me up for a role like that)? Any other benefits to AUSA experience on a return to BL?

Appreciate any feedback (really hoping this topic wasn’t previously raised)!

Anonymous User

Re: Big Law -> AUSA timing and opportunities?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 13, 2023 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:12 am
Big law senior associate here. Eligible for partner in 1-2 years. I like the firm, but I’m also really curious about doing a stint (2-5 years?) as an AUSA. Two main questions:

1) Is it now or never for an AUSA gig? I’ve also kicked around the idea of going for partner and if I make it, trying it out for a few years then making a go for AUSA for a while. Would the USAO ever hire a BL partner? Or is that way too late?

2) Anyone have any experience/insight on whether an AUSA stint can be valuable in big law, outside a white collar practice? I understand there are many BL white collar partners with AUSA experience, but what about other lit practices? And can AUSA experience net a larger paycheck/set you up for being a BL trial attorney (there are a handful of attys at my firm who do all the trials; wondering if AUSA experience could set me up for a role like that)? Any other benefits to AUSA experience on a return to BL?

Appreciate any feedback (really hoping this topic wasn’t previously raised)!
Re #1 -- our office has an ex-biglaw partner. It probably varies by office, but in a biglaw-heavy office, I suspect you can make it work as long as you can convince them you have a good reason for waiting as long as you did to make the transition.

Re #2 -- in my market, ex-AUSAs are seen a lot in commercial lit. as well given their trial experience, though I suspect it's hard for them to get away from white collar completely, and that depends on them pursuing trials while at the USAO.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”