Firms to avoid for rising 2Ls Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firms to avoid for rising 2Ls

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:31 pm

Having a hard time following the threads about which firms are imploding .... Kirkland, Gunderson, Cooley, Shearman, Williams Connolly, etc. Can we please make a list of what firms us 1Ls/rising 2Ls should avoid?

Anonymous User

Re: Firms to avoid for rising 2Ls

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:18 pm

Is kirkland really "imploding"? I agree with those that have criticized kirkland for laying people off despite profits having increased.

But we don't know how many people were laid off. And the deferral of start dates for first years is speculation as of right now.

throwawayt14

New

Post by throwawayt14 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:31 pm
Having a hard time following the threads about which firms are imploding .... Kirkland, Gunderson, Cooley, Shearman, Williams Connolly, etc. Can we please make a list of what firms us 1Ls/rising 2Ls should avoid?
Williams & Connolly is not imploding lol. What are you talking about?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:32 pm

Williams & Connolly? You mean White & Case?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:56 pm

Gunderson and Cooley have serious structural issues and are delaying class of 23. Avoid at all costs.

KE and Goodwin are just living up to their reputations. Goodwin laid ppl off in 2020 already and seems to think that was a successful strategy. KE always treated its associates like garbage and had a harsher churn system than others. Avoid those firms but again, nothing new.

The W&C that's allegedly been laying off is White and Case. Hasn't really been confirmed yet that they are doing more than typical stealths. And let's be honest, all firms are trimming what they can, annual reviews will be harsher this year etc. Gravy train has stopped.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:11 pm

Gunderson and Cooley are Tech/ECVC heavy firms, so structurally more business cycle sensitive than other firms. I'd expect the other firms in their cadre like Fenwick and Wilson Sonsini to follow suit with the austerity measures soon. They are still good firms with interesting work and good cultures on the whole, so are still worth considering in better economic times if ECVC interests you and you're aware of the risks.

Nothing about Kirkland's recent moves should be surprising. They are a soulless cash machine whether they're pushing underperformers out or stuffing their faces with billable grunt work.

Shearman is the really concerning one, the public merger talks with Hogan breaking down makes people think there's something wrong, but its not exactly clear what. Even in an ice-cold lateral market there has been a noticeable number of partners jumping ship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:02 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:02 am
Avoid White & Case like a plague. Unless they are the only firm that gives you an offer, avoid. I've been at a few firms and they were absolutely the worst. They are one shit firm globally.
Lol who hurt you… sounds like you might be the problem if you’re jumping firms often.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:09 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:54 pm

Lol someone got hurt badly

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:05 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:02 am
Avoid White & Case like a plague. Unless they are the only firm that gives you an offer, avoid. I've been at a few firms and they were absolutely the worst. They are one shit firm globally.
Lol who hurt you… sounds like you might be the problem if you’re jumping firms often.
This is a fucked up post. It’s unacceptable victim blaming and shouldn’t be on these boards. Someone moving firms more than once is far from an indication of a problem with them, and could easily instead reflect the natural progression of a career or a number of toxic environments (there are many).

DougEvans789

New

Post by DougEvans789 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:19 pm

throwawayt14 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:31 pm
Williams & Connolly is not imploding lol. What are you talking about?
lol I assume they mean white & case. Or are just randomly naming law firms

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:34 pm

If you have other offers, my personal opinion is you should avoid Ropes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:34 pm
I’d avoid any firm that lays off their employees who didn’t win the h1-b lottery and didn’t give them the courtesy to stay till the end of their OPT.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:49 am

I'd say you should avoid any firm that either gives partial bonuses to or lays off some associates that consistently met the firm's billable hours target, such as White & Case. If you are joining that firm, do so at your own peril. You have been warned. You are going to a firm where your sacrifices (your all nighters and cancelled weekend/vacation plans) and contributions may not be recognized and where you may get kicked out cold when the economy tanks and the firm can't generate enough work for you. PLEASE DON'T QUOTE.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:11 pm
Gunderson and Cooley are Tech/ECVC heavy firms, so structurally more business cycle sensitive than other firms. I'd expect the other firms in their cadre like Fenwick and Wilson Sonsini to follow suit with the austerity measures soon. They are still good firms with interesting work and good cultures on the whole, so are still worth considering in better economic times if ECVC interests you and you're aware of the risks.
Lol. A firm is not a "good firm" with a "good culture" if they manage themselves so badly in a boom period that they are forced to fire first years. That's bad management and a bad culture. The fact that others haven't followed suit yet just shows you had bad of a job those two did managing their firms.

Yes they will still be around doing ECVC work, and yes they'll get tons of law school grads to come work for them whenever things turn around, but let's not kid ourselves with the good culture comments.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:49 am
I mean if there isn’t enough work all firms will kick people out. And don’t sacrifice your life for a firm. Doesn’t mean White & Case isn’t shitty, but it’s not clear it’s uniquely so.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:39 pm

To the above poster. Didn't I tell you not to quote? What the fuck. I have never heard of firms like Skadden laying off associates. Moreover, other than W&C, I have never heard of any firm with a billable target not giving full market bonuses to associates that met their billable target.

I am a senior associate and have been at a few firms. I confirm W&C is uniquely shitty. Take it or not, I am just sharing the truth. Go there and believe whatever bullshit that management feeds you at your own peril.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:23 am

So much vitriol …

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:08 pm

Which W&C practice group?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:29 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:34 pm
I’d avoid any firm that lays off their employees who didn’t win the h1-b lottery and didn’t give them the courtesy to stay till the end of their OPT.
they imploded quickly. used to be a lot better.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 6:36 pm

Has any current 3L (class of 23) at Goodwin heard a state date yet? One of my friends who summered there last summer heard a rumor that they're going to push back to March 2024, and she's freaking out.

I heard of Faegre starting in September, Kirkland starting in September, and MoFo starting in November. Goodwin supposedly starting after Cooley is surprising to me...
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:56 pm
Gunderson and Cooley have serious structural issues and are delaying class of 23. Avoid at all costs.

KE and Goodwin are just living up to their reputations. Goodwin laid ppl off in 2020 already and seems to think that was a successful strategy. KE always treated its associates like garbage and had a harsher churn system than others. Avoid those firms but again, nothing new.

The W&C that's allegedly been laying off is White and Case. Hasn't really been confirmed yet that they are doing more than typical stealths. And let's be honest, all firms are trimming what they can, annual reviews will be harsher this year etc. Gravy train has stopped.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2023 7:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:23 am
Can you share more details?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2023 8:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 7:32 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:23 am
Can you share more details?
Ropes has laid off associates, mostly juniors, pretty ruthlessly. they told the media it was performance based, even though we all knew that wasn’t true: https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-we ... er-the-bus

I started in biglaw pre-pandemic when Ropes was one of the better places to work. it’s now a dysfunctional partnership, desperate to cut costs and increase PPP by any means possible. there’s near-zero effort to mentor and develop juniors and mids, there’s been a deluge of ruthless lateral partners, and culture has become toxic. They’re also insane about RTO and have allegedly fired people for that alone.

They’re now similar to a Goodwin or a Cooley or a K&E in treating associates as disposable and worthless.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed May 10, 2023 2:26 pm

Dechert has a long history of firing first and second years. Dunno if those lambs were sacrificed in this latest reap.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/business- ... aw-layoffs

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”