Leaving Before Clerkship Bonus Clawback Period Expires Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leaving Before Clerkship Bonus Clawback Period Expires

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:13 pm

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with leaving a firm before the clawback period expires on a clerkship bonus. Did the firm actually try to claw it back?

My clawback period is two years, pro-rated. Of course, you lose out on that because taxes have already been withdrawn.

I’m thinking about leaving after a year and change. I’m actually happy with the firm and the work, but just want to move to my hometown, where they don’t have an office.

I think what I’ll do is offer to work remote full time, but tell them I’m moving home either way, and see what they say.

Any advice appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Leaving Before Clerkship Bonus Clawback Period Expires

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:40 am

I was at Jones Day with the same terms for bonus clawback. I left with maybe 2‐3 months left in the clawback period and they didn't even say anything about it. A colleague of mine left with more time (2-3 months more than mine) on their clawback period and JD never even mentioned it to them. Really depends on the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:40 am
I was at Jones Day with the same terms for bonus clawback. I left with maybe 2‐3 months left in the clawback period and they didn't even say anything about it. A colleague of mine left with more time (2-3 months more than mine) on their clawback period and JD never even mentioned it to them. Really depends on the firm.
Could also depend on the time and the market. I can imagine in this market some firms who are implementing more cost-cutting measures would probably instruct HR to be more aggressive in its clawback process to the extent they think it can save them some cash.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:13 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Could also depend on the time and the market. I can imagine in this market some firms who are implementing more cost-cutting measures would probably instruct HR to be more aggressive in its clawback process to the extent they think it can save them some cash.
Do you think that big firms really think that nickel and diming over pro-rated bonuses will save them any appreciable cash?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:17 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:13 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you think that big firms really think that nickel and diming over pro-rated bonuses will save them any appreciable cash?
They have nickled and dimed over things way smaller and dumber in the past.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”