How do you find Federal Court Admission Sponsors? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
catechumen

New

How do you find Federal Court Admission Sponsors?

Post by catechumen » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:42 pm

I have done federal criminal appeals for the last few years. Almost all of it remote.

I need to get admitted to additional federal district courts, but almost all the federal district courts require having another attorney or even two attorneys who are already members of that court to sponsor you.

For example, the Northern District of Ohio allows admission to any attorney admitted in any state, but requires a sponsoring attorney to write you a letter of recommendation who is a member of that court already.

How do you find attorneys to sponsor you who are members of these federal district courts? It’s not like attorneys have any incentive to sponsor you, they are just creating competition for themselves.

The US Supreme Court as well has similar sponsor requirements. Again, how do you find sponsors for the SCOTUS BAR?

I have no ties to the geographical areas I am applying to, so it’s not like I know any attorneys there who already members of these courts since all my work is done remote.

Anonymous User

Re: How do you find Federal Court Admission Sponsors?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:56 pm

catechumen wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:42 pm
I have done federal criminal appeals for the last few years. Almost all of it remote.

I need to get admitted to additional federal district courts, but almost all the federal district courts require having another attorney or even two attorneys who are already members of that court to sponsor you.

For example, the Northern District of Ohio allows admission to any attorney admitted in any state, but requires a sponsoring attorney to write you a letter of recommendation who is a member of that court already.

How do you find attorneys to sponsor you who are members of these federal district courts? It’s not like attorneys have any incentive to sponsor you, they are just creating competition for themselves.

The US Supreme Court as well has similar sponsor requirements. Again, how do you find sponsors for the SCOTUS BAR?

I have no ties to the geographical areas I am applying to, so it’s not like I know any attorneys there who already members of these courts since all my work is done remote.
Can you not take a case in that district and then appear pro hac vice? The attorneys I see do this just seem to reach out to various local members of the bar, who are used to this. It’s not really competition when you have your own case already.

My local district doesn’t admit anyone who isn’t a member of the state bar, so everyone who isn’t local enough to make joining our state bar worth it just appears pro hac vice.

Gooner

New

Post by Gooner » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:29 pm

catechumen wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:42 pm

Check with the Federal Bar Association or the bar association of the state where the federal court sits. Bar associations often have volunteers who will sponsor remote attorneys seeking admission. (I've sponsored two attorneys in my state through my state's bar association program.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:14 am

I assume pro hac vice isn't workable for you in at least some situations, maybe because you're getting repeat work in some states.

You need to do some digging in each state to find local communities of criminal defense lawyers. Most will probably have organized email listservs that you would qualify to join. Poke around and you'll find them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”