Best firm to become an AUSA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best firm to become an AUSA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:55 pm

Hi, what firm will give me the best odds of an AUSA job in New York in SDNY?

Anonymous User

Re: Best firm to become an AUSA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:03 pm

Krieger Kim & Lewin has the highest rate that I’ve heard of, with three recently from a ten-lawyer firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:51 pm

I would say WilmerHale with its roster of former SDNY folks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:55 pm
Clerking in SDNY is more important than your firm. Any firm that allows you to work directly with a former SDNY AUSA who is willing to help you is fine. I don't think you can necessarily say one firm writ large gives better odds than another.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:55 pm
Clerking in SDNY is more important than your firm. Any firm that allows you to work directly with a former SDNY AUSA who is willing to help you is fine. I don't think you can necessarily say one firm writ large gives better odds than another.
This very much so. No firm in and of itself will get you hired (or even an interview) in SDNY. The same goes for most USAOs (even in not as desirable markets). You have to understand that the majority of applicants are coming straight from big law so you’re going to have to find a better way to differentiate yourself instead of depending on a firm’s name to get you in the door.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moxcoal

New

Post by moxcoal » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:12 pm

I'd suggest a white collar boutique like KKL as mentioned. They're structured with the goal of sending associates away to government because they aren't promoting partners from within. If you're specifically thinking biglaw, look into which ones have gone to trial for individuals or smaller companies recently. Most firms focus on large companies and boards which is investigations heavy, and fine, but rarely will involve the full gamut of white collar litigation (going toe-to-toe in court).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:48 pm

OP here. How do I get hired at KKL? Do they come to EIP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:48 pm
OP here. How do I get hired at KKL? Do they come to EIP?
No, they only hire clerks and laterals, which is typical for white-collar boutiques. Kaplan Hecker does have a small summer program.

TLSposter1990

New

Post by TLSposter1990 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:51 am

When I've seen this question posted in prior years, the conventional biglaw answer was Davis Polk and Debevoise for their connections to SDNY and EDNY. Is that no longer the case?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:59 am

TLSposter1990 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:51 am
When I've seen this question posted in prior years, the conventional biglaw answer was Davis Polk and Debevoise for their connections to SDNY and EDNY. Is that no longer the case?
People may be noticing trends but I think the reality is that it’s more about that individual person’s resume, not the firm they’re at. Obviously certain firms recruit top candidates and those candidates have underlying resumes that may also be a fit for the USAO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:48 am

What can I do as a law student to bolster my resume for this job?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:48 am
grades, law review, clerk

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
grades, law review, clerk
Intern for a USAO sometime during school - it's not a game changer, it's not going to get you the job on its own or put you out of the running, but I think most offices like to see it, and getting some sense of what the USAO does/how it works is always a good way to figure out if it's a job you like and will help with interviewing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:07 pm

TLSposter1990 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:51 am
Yeah it’s funny, those two don’t stick out to me lately (although they’re great ofc). There’s just a cohort or two of senior DOJ/SDNY attorneys at all the white collar practices. But maybe those old answers weren’t granular enough. It’s very much about individual practice experience and a connection will put you over the edge.

Edit: accidental anon.. - moxcoal

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:54 pm

It's my understanding that DPW, Debevoise, WilmerHale, and now Cleary for EDNY (because of the current USA there) are the best firms to go to for EDNY/SDNY

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:54 pm
It's my understanding that DPW, Debevoise, WilmerHale, and now Cleary for EDNY (because of the current USA there) are the best firms to go to for EDNY/SDNY
Hasn't S&C been decent as of late or am I just misremembering things/gotten bad informaiton. I recall vaguely hearing this from someone when I was picking firms, but S&C wasn't in my final list so I did not end up following up on it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:12 pm

Yes, I'd add S&C and Paul, Weiss to that list.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:54 pm
Hasn't S&C been decent as of late or am I just misremembering things/gotten bad informaiton. I recall vaguely hearing this from someone when I was picking firms, but S&C wasn't in my final list so I did not end up following up on it.
I was under impression that S&C placed well in SEC & CFTC but hadn't heard anything about AUSA stuff

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:50 pm

I would put S&C on top of the list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AUSA here. Show an interest in public service, through other government jobs. Also take your writing skills very seriously, and be eager to improve them and learn from good writers. If you aren't joining a USAO straight out of law school, USAOs like good writers who want to join their offices for the right reasons. Maintain a top notch, above board reputation among your fellow lawyers wherever you are working in terms of collegiality, ethics, honesty, and ability to keep your cool. The older you get, the less relevant your law school becomes and the more relevant your friends and community reputation become.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:48 pm

For SDNY and EDNY hiring juniors and midlevels, what differentiates them? Is it the firm? Is it firm + clerkship? Is it having interned for the office? It seems that these offices do not like ADAs for some reason.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:48 pm
For SDNY and EDNY hiring juniors and midlevels, what differentiates them? Is it the firm? Is it firm + clerkship? Is it having interned for the office? It seems that these offices do not like ADAs for some reason.
I interned at SDNY a few years ago and sort of made the rounds asking a bunch of people what they look for. What I was told is there is no secret sauce beyond the obvious (deep political connections and/or SCOTUS clerkship); just show a demonstrated commitment to trial-level public service which at a firm involves successfully leveraging pro bono opportunities to be able to go to court.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ADAs tend not to cultivate their writing skills, which is an understandable trade-off for the deep trial skills they develop during their early years. If trying to get into a USAO later in your career, you have to demonstrate a much-higher-than-average writing ability.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Re "do not like ADAs for some reason" - in addition to the writing concern (which is real), hiring depends a lot on the culture of the office and the preferences of the USA. My (purely anecdotal) impression is that SDNY (also probably EDNY) has a really strong culture of hiring out of biglaw. The more ex-biglaw people you have in the office, the more they're likely to continue to favor biglaw people, based both on the fact that that context is familiar, that's where people have connections, and probably to some extent the subconscious bias of favoring people who are similar to you. (The same is true for an office that hires a lot of local prosecutors.) SDNY also tends to have USAs with the most stellar of traditional qualifications (T14, biglaw, fancy clerkships), which tends to influence how they hire. (This is true of USAs generally to some extent, but there are definitely lots of USAs who are local law school grads/local prosecutors, and they tend to hire a little differently.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:28 pm

Seems to me the most helpful credential is an SDNY/EDNY/2d Cir clerkship. Beyond that, something that shows a commitment to public service rather than just grabbing for the next gold star seems to be a boost. If that ship has sailed, I think a true lit boutique where you get more experience/more responsibility would be better than biglaw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”