Question about Biglaw abroad (UK/Australia/Singapore)? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question about Biglaw abroad (UK/Australia/Singapore)?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:12 pm

Is it possible to get a BL job abroad, and what goes into getting one?

For context, I'm a 1L at a T30 that generally has pretty good BL placement, and am sitting at a good place with my grades after one semester. I grew up abroad and have either lived in or have citizenship in all of S.E. Asia/Australia/UK (being purposefully vague). Also have family in all of those places currently. Ended up doing high school/undergrad/now law school here in the U.S.

My understanding is that pretty much the only way to be a U.S. qualified associate working in these places is in Cap. Markets; fortunately, I have some experience as a law firm paralegal working in transactional, and would have no problem doing this work long-term.

I would love to know more about the contours of practicing in any of these places, and if it's something even remotely realistic? If so, what is the lifestyle like and career progression like? What should I be looking to do right now if it is something realistic, and is there anything else I should know?

Thanks very much in advance!

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Question about Biglaw abroad (UK/Australia/Singapore)?

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:36 pm

You should try reaching out to folks from one of your alma maters. Especially in offices you'd like to work. Find the magic circle firm or american firm in london and go from there.
From what I hear, London is more relaxed than NYC, but still can be intense. Asia is all over the board.
Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:39 pm

More than half of all US-qualified biglaw associates outside the the States are in London, so that is far and away the most straightforward way to work in a firm abroad. Hong Kong is a distant second, though mainland China and Singapore also have some need for US-qualified people. Any placement in east Asia will be much easier if you have the necessary language skills, typically Mandarin. Capital markets is the practice area in all of these locations that firms that you'd be targeting, but there are a few M&A and WCC positions also. The number one thing you can do is be very high in your class ranking, but otherwise target the firms with those locations and a history of hiring US-qualified people at your OCI and have a coherent pitch for why you want to go there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:20 am

I think it's pretty doable, especially for jobs in London. I second other answers -- you should reach out and talk to other US JDs working in London. Grades are important but your ties with these foreign places are equally important. Also, suppose you are targeting London, try demonstrating your interest in capital markets since this is the single most common practice there if not in all overseas market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:49 pm

UK is quite easy, and if you don't want to do capital markets you could cross qualify and go into another group (although without the two year "training contract" you may be at a disadvantage).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”