Joining MBB Consulting Firm After Law School Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Joining MBB Consulting Firm After Law School

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:57 pm

I accepted a full time job offer to join one of the MBB consulting firms after graduating from law school and taking the bar exam later this year.

What advice do ex-lawyers and law grads in consulting have for incoming MBB consultants with legal backgrounds?

Anonymous User

Re: Joining MBB Consulting Firm After Law School

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:57 pm
I accepted a full time job offer to join one of the MBB consulting firms after graduating from law school and taking the bar exam later this year.

What advice do ex-lawyers and law grads in consulting have for incoming MBB consultants with legal backgrounds?
Well nothing you learned in law school is remotely useful for the job, but you weren't hired for your legal knowledge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:30 pm

Good luck! I’m not in consulting but went into finance in a role that has a ton of ex-lawyers.

Biggest piece of advice I got was that don’t draw attention to your background, you got there because you earned your spot, and try to crush the quantitative side of things (because most people evaluating you will be laser focused on that piece).

Also the analysts / juniors who will work with you are great people to learn from and depending on firm will be promoted in front of you (believe it’s a 2-year track for top performers to EM at M).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:32 pm

I did the same, started last fall. I would just suggest you rest up between the bar and starting and take care of yourself, and try to find the people you’d like to work with quickly. It can be difficult otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:40 am

I have been working for a few years as consultant.

I suggest just relaxing, brushing up on PPT and Excel if you have a very weak base.

Also really stay away from advertising legal background. We’re still minorities in this environment and people just get confused.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”