Willkie NY Corporate Group Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Willkie NY Corporate Group

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:43 am

Got an offer from Willkie’s NY office but hearing that Willkie is no longer flexible re work from home. I was told that partners are getting persistent about return to office and it’s affecting associate morale. At my current firm, no one forces me to come in. Just how bad is it (or will it get) at Willkie?

Anonymous User

Re: Willkie NY Corporate Group

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:12 am

I work at Willkie NY. I have heard rumblings that the firm is going to "crack down" on RTO for months, but nobody I know has actually been talked to. I'm a junior who sits in a communal area and many, many people aren't in 3 days a week. I usually come in 1-2 days and nobody has said anything. It's also really common for people to come in late/leave early (sometimes both). Compared to what I have heard from friends at other firms, it's really not an issue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:58 pm

Also at Willkie. It does seem like management is pushing harder re: RTO. No concrete or individualized enforcement yet. FWIW, compliance with the rule seems really low.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:43 am

Hot off the presses (aka firm-wide email): WFH policy changed from (a) Tuesday/Wednesday mandatory with 1 floating day to (b) Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday mandatory. Holiday weeks (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's) are excluded from the policy (i.e., in-office optional).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:58 am

Why is the firm driving away associates? I thought creating loyalty was important to the firm, why do things none of the associates want.... So much for loyalty.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:51 pm

There is no loyalty. Firms know that the lateral market is dead and associates have no leverage.

nickofdime

New

Post by nickofdime » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:51 pm
There is no loyalty. Firms know that the lateral market is dead and associates have no leverage.
But this too will pass and the economy will improve. At that point, associates who once liked the firm (dare I say were loyal to the firm) will leave. But if it doesn't matter to the firm, there isn't much that can be done.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:33 am

nickofdime wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
But this too will pass and the economy will improve. At that point, associates who once liked the firm (dare I say were loyal to the firm) will leave. But if it doesn't matter to the firm, there isn't much that can be done.
It doesn’t matter to the partners because they’re more focused on their near term income than anything else.

These people are also extremely arrogant. They regard associates as fungible even if objectively they aren’t. It’s like Alex Murdaugh defiantly stating he didn’t kill his family when obviously did and he knows he did. The truth hurts, and they don’t want to admit that (at least some, and certainly not all) associates matter to their business.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:13 pm

nickofdime wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What NYC firms (other than QE) aren’t doing Tuesday-Thursday in office? This seems to be the market norm. Also, the powers that be can likely cross check individual performance and days in office and see if there is a negative or positive correlation and act from there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:13 pm
Also, the powers that be can likely cross check individual performance and days in office and see if there is a negative or positive correlation and act from there.
I don't think partners who care about attendance are going to be swayed by evidence. It's a power trip. I'm paying your salary, you need to be here and if I don't have enough work for you, you'll fiddle your thumbs instead of living your life.

Also, there's likely a correlation (NOT necessarily causation) between "showing up when told to" and being a good associate. All the suck ups and gunners are gonna be in as much as they can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:13 pm
nickofdime wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What NYC firms (other than QE) aren’t doing Tuesday-Thursday in office? This seems to be the market norm. Also, the powers that be can likely cross check individual performance and days in office and see if there is a negative or positive correlation and act from there.
This was my understanding as well. Tuesday-Thursday in office seems more the NY market than a harsh outlier.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”