Quinn - WFH Policy Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Quinn - WFH Policy

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:02 pm

Quick question...

Anyone know if Quinn's WFH policy is continental US or US? Everywhere I've read online says "US" and there's no fine print. So... like Hawaii and territories are in play then? Can someone please confirm.

Anonymous User

Re: Quinn - WFH Policy

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:02 pm
Quick question...

Anyone know if Quinn's WFH policy is continental US or US? Everywhere I've read online says "US" and there's no fine print. So... like Hawaii and territories are in play then? Can someone please confirm.
Also, to piggyback, can associates who were hired to work at a certain office (ex. LA), can they still utilize the 100% remote option even though they were not hired as a remote associate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Quick question...

Also, to piggyback, can associates who were hired to work at a certain office (ex. LA), can they still utilize the 100% remote option even though they were not hired as a remote associate?
So my take on this question: From the Quinn website:

"Come into the office if you wish, or never at all.

All attorneys will have an “office base” where they are welcome to come in and collaborate together on things . . . [h]owever, there is no requirement to come into the office, ever."

100% never have to come in. Interested in OPs question though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Quick question...

The policy covers anywhere in the United States that has electricity and wifi.

Keep in mind that you will occasionally need to appear in-person for various tasks (depositions, hearings, etc) and flying 8+ hours every time you need to take a deposition would not be practical long term (plus travel time isn’t billable!) The firm might not want to charge the client for flights from Hawaii, so you probably wouldn’t get picked for as many stand-up assignments (hearings, trials, etc). I have worked remotely from Hawaii for a couple of weeks at a time and I know someone else who worked from France for a month or two. That kind of distance would be hard to sustain year round though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Quick question...

Keep in mind that you will occasionally need to appear in-person for various tasks (depositions, hearings, etc) and flying 8+ hours every time you need to take a deposition would not be practical long term (plus travel time isn’t billable!) The firm might not want to charge the client for flights from Hawaii, so you probably wouldn’t get picked for as many stand-up assignments (hearings, trials, etc). I have worked remotely from Hawaii for a couple of weeks at a time and I know someone else who worked from France for a month or two. That kind of distance would be hard to sustain year round though.

Do you think it would've been easier if you were in the continental US? Like working remotely from the East Coast while based in the LA office

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Quick question...

Do you think it would've been easier if you were in the continental US? Like working remotely from the East Coast while based in the LA office
I don't work at Quinn, but in that situation why on earth wouldn't you just be "based" in an East Coast office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:22 pm

Bosque wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:00 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Quick question...

I don't work at Quinn, but in that situation why on earth wouldn't you just be "based" in an East Coast office?
You have to pick a US office to be associated with for work from anywhere. Most people pick the office physically closest to them (unless, for example, they spent several years working in one office before moving).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:22 pm
Bosque wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Quick question...

You have to pick a US office to be associated with for work from anywhere. Most people pick the office physically closest to them (unless, for example, they spent several years working in one office before moving).
Can you change your "home" office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:24 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:22 pm
Bosque wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Quick question...

Can you change your "home" office?
Yes but you need both your old office managing partner and your new office managing partner to sign off on the move.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:14 am

Honestly, it's too bad Quinn is basically the only shop that does this, it sounds so amazing. Especially for corporate law, WFH permanently makes so much sense. Would love to work remotely from France or Hawaii, but my firm basically wants everybody back 4 days a week. Just have to wait and see if the remote work revolution succeeds.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:14 am
Honestly, it's too bad Quinn is basically the only shop that does this, it sounds so amazing. Especially for corporate law, WFH permanently makes so much sense. Would love to work remotely from France or Hawaii, but my firm basically wants everybody back 4 days a week. Just have to wait and see if the remote work revolution succeeds.
I’m at Quinn, can confirm that it is amazing - and disappointing that literally no other firm seems to be doing this. For this reason alone, I would never leave QE (voluntarily). But FYI you could not realistically work from a place like France or Hawaii for more than a few days due to the time difference.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:14 am
surprised it especially makes sense for corporate. I've never done corporate but I've always had an impression it involved more finance-bro types and wheeling and dealing than lit, is this not the case?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”