Guidelines for post-offer, pre-conflicts Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Guidelines for post-offer, pre-conflicts

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:12 pm

I accepted an offer in a different practice and different level firm (think biglaw to midlaw that doesn’t have my current practice area), so I’m not expecting any issues with conflicts, but I won’t give notice until everything goes through because of the economy we’re in. How do I navigate this time pre-notice? I don’t want to burn any bridges, but I don’t want to continue to suffer at a job I’m not staying in.

uygiugiyugyugk

New

Re: Guidelines for post-offer, pre-conflicts

Post by uygiugiyugyugk » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:12 pm
I accepted an offer in a different practice and different level firm (think biglaw to midlaw that doesn’t have my current practice area), so I’m not expecting any issues with conflicts, but I won’t give notice until everything goes through because of the economy we’re in. How do I navigate this time pre-notice? I don’t want to burn any bridges, but I don’t want to continue to suffer at a job I’m not staying in.
i would just, you know, hang out for a couple weeks until conflicts clears, then give notice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:26 pm

OP here—is it possible to just coast/say no to more things? I don’t want to reveal anything (hence anon) but my current group is pretty hectic. The new firm told me that their conflicts people are pretty slow.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:35 pm

Take a vacation.

Although that could mean less of a payout when you quit, but could be worth it depending on your circumstances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:44 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:35 pm
Take a vacation.

Although that could mean less of a payout when you quit, but could be worth it depending on your circumstances.
Don’t have much of a vacation culture in my group, and it’s really frowned upon when things are hectic. Hoping to hide.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:44 pm
existentialcrisis wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:35 pm
Take a vacation.

Don’t have much of a vacation culture in my group, and it’s really frowned upon when things are hectic. Hoping to hide.
I mean you do you, but I feel like (i) taking a vacation makes it easier to hide because of the ramp up period when you come back and (ii) who cares if it's frowned upon if you're about to quit anyways, you essentially already have 1.5 feet out the door.

ETA: My thought process is here is that its way more frowned upon to lie about being too busy when you're not and your group is slammed than it is to take a vacation when you need a break.

12YrsAnAssociate

Bronze

Post by 12YrsAnAssociate » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:39 pm

Why not (i) avoid the office; (ii) avoid your email for the vast majority of the day; (iii) tell whoever sends you work that you are dealing with a "very serious personal issue that is occupying all of your time and more"? Better yet, put that in your out of office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:21 pm

If you are 99% leaving, stop caring about what's "frowned upon".

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:35 pm

OP here—does this same advice apply if I want the option to come back? I don’t think I will, but I want to preserve the option a few years down the line if I need it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:17 pm

I am in the same boat OP. I think maintaining your relationships, particularly if you are staying in the same market, is pretty important. The way you leave goes a long way in maintaining your reputation with the firm. Work from home and don't ask for more work, but I wouldn't do anything drastic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:17 pm
I am in the same boat OP. I think maintaining your relationships, particularly if you are staying in the same market, is pretty important. The way you leave goes a long way in maintaining your reputation with the firm. Work from home and don't ask for more work, but I wouldn't do anything drastic.
Thank you—that’s what I’ve been thinking. I am going to work hard with what I’ve got but nothing over the top.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:20 pm

I don't think it's particularly drastic to turn down work or take a vacation when you expect to leave the firm within the next 2-3 months. Personally I would be professional about the work I have but also wouldn't try to jump as high as expected in this job. People will remember if you leave things a mess, but I doubt they will remember that you said you were too busy or you took a vacation, especially if you otherwise we're respected. I guess it's just a personal decision hoe risk averse you are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:20 pm
I don't think it's particularly drastic to turn down work or take a vacation when you expect to leave the firm within the next 2-3 months. Personally I would be professional about the work I have but also wouldn't try to jump as high as expected in this job. People will remember if you leave things a mess, but I doubt they will remember that you said you were too busy or you took a vacation, especially if you otherwise we're respected. I guess it's just a personal decision hoe risk averse you are.
Agreed on the vacation part. I wouldn't take a month off, but taking a week off is definitely fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:20 pm
Agreed on the vacation part. I wouldn't take a month off, but taking a week off is definitely fine.
This. IDK why I feel compelled to emphasize this point again, but taking a week or two off is going to be way less frowned upon and burn way fewer bridges than just ignoring emails or making up some personal emergency or getting caught lying about how busy you are.

The best way to hide out is to have some kind of believable, semi-extended excuse for why it doesn't make sense for you to immediately take on more work.

Also to the extent that your leaving does burn bridges it will be because you left for another firm, not because you took a week or two of vacation right before you quit.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:49 am

Firm #1: I got the offer at the start of Month X and immediately scheduled a two-week vacation that would begin in the middle of Month X. That gave them a month to do conflicts (if it takes longer than that, there's probably an issue) and it was as much as I could take without dipping into my departure payout. I reminded partners about it like three times to ensure I would only finish up what I was already on and wouldn't get put on anything new (except for really minor stuff), and then gave notice the morning I got back. After notice I deliberately avoided scheduling an official departure date and pushed back my start date at the new firm so I could have more time as a "lame duck." Was able to last until the end of Month X+1, so basically two months of wind-down, during which I billed probably 50 total hours. No one ever got mad because I never left anyone dry, or even turned down any work; just made a timeline on which it was impossible to staff me.

Firm #2 paid out all accrued vacation time so there was no point in taking one. I just gave notice right when it looked like I was about to be fucked on six different deals. Finished anything that had to be mine and asked to transition anything someone else could do. Tried the same "leave the departure date open" tactic and was told my employment was ending the following Friday, no discussion. Won't always work, lol.

I always maximized the money and minimized the hours as soon as I knew I wouldn't be staying at a firm. Never lost a wink of sleep over it. Gotta save your burnout when you can if you expect to have a long career in Biglaw.

Antetrust

New

Post by Antetrust » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:29 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:49 am
Firm #1: I got the offer at the start of Month X and immediately scheduled a two-week vacation that would begin in the middle of Month X. That gave them a month to do conflicts (if it takes longer than that, there's probably an issue) and it was as much as I could take without dipping into my departure payout. I reminded partners about it like three times to ensure I would only finish up what I was already on and wouldn't get put on anything new (except for really minor stuff), and then gave notice the morning I got back. After notice I deliberately avoided scheduling an official departure date and pushed back my start date at the new firm so I could have more time as a "lame duck." Was able to last until the end of Month X+1, so basically two months of wind-down, during which I billed probably 50 total hours. No one ever got mad because I never left anyone dry, or even turned down any work; just made a timeline on which it was impossible to staff me.

Firm #2 paid out all accrued vacation time so there was no point in taking one. I just gave notice right when it looked like I was about to be fucked on six different deals. Finished anything that had to be mine and asked to transition anything someone else could do. Tried the same "leave the departure date open" tactic and was told my employment was ending the following Friday, no discussion. Won't always work, lol.

I always maximized the money and minimized the hours as soon as I knew I wouldn't be staying at a firm. Never lost a wink of sleep over it. Gotta save your burnout when you can if you expect to have a long career in Biglaw.
Thank you, I appreciate you sharing your experiences. ^.^

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:30 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:49 am

All of this is highly credited.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:51 pm

Anyone go through this situation biglaw to fedgov? Not conflicts but background check.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”