Chatgpt Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
xmixx68

New

Chatgpt

Post by xmixx68 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:32 pm

Hi guys,

Chatgpt is now here. With the increasing progress of AI, I think it will take only 2 or 3 years to Chatgpt become the GOD of the earth, especially in the legal arena.

What do you think? Does getting a JD worth it?

Anonymous User

Re: Chatgpt

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:47 pm

xmixx68 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:32 pm
Hi guys,

Chatgpt is now here. With the increasing progress of AI, I think it will take only 2 or 3 years to Chatgpt become the GOD of the earth, especially in the legal arena.

Who knows. But right now its not perfect. I asked it for the best hotels in Palm Springs and it gave me info on a Four Seasons - it made the whole spiel up - one doesn't exist. It has also been proven to make up journal articles as sources to information it is citing - these journal articles don't exist.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:12 pm

xmixx68 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:32 pm
Hi guys,

I don't think it will impact Biglaw very much, at least not in the short term.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:14 pm

As far as I can tell it's really good at confidently spouting a ton of incorrect information, so it's as much likely to replace lawyers as reddit.

BansheeScream

New

Post by BansheeScream » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:26 pm

ChatGPT is making a splash because its an AI that is accessible to the public. There are all sorts of AI that is being developed, or currently exists, in the legal space. For example, AI has significantly improved efficiency in the e-discovery space and programs like BriefCatch provide massive improvements to editing. Even WestLaw and Leix can spit out answers to questions and improves those answers based on prior searches and the users treatment of them when only a few years ago very specific search terms were a must.

So, I don't think ChapGPT has any potential to disrupt the legal industry more so than any other AI. However, I do see a great deal of diligence and doc review being simplified by technology going forward which will eliminate jobs. Hopefully, at least in the near term, this will just lead to increased efficiency in humans performing legal work rather than the elimination of a significant amount of jobs in the industry. As a litigator I'm optimistic that things like litigation strategy and true brief/motion writing are years, if not decades, away from full automation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:26 pm

I feel like a lot of these responses haven't actually used chatgpt to a meaningful degree.

I tried it out for laughs. I'm in a specialty corporate sub-group and I asked it to summarize a niche regulatory rule and the relevant exemptions to that rule that only people versed in my area would need to care about.

It gave me a concise, accurate summary of the rule and the exemptions in under a minute (2 paragraphs of text), and imo it was the general level of work product I would expect from a first or second year if I told them to write me up a summary, but a hell of a lot faster (i.e., not perfect, needs to be tailored but decent ground to start with).

Does that mean chatgpt would be able to give practical advice on that rule's implications to a client and their particular situation? No and far off from that. But I certainly can see AI coming in to be used as drafting tools and aides for lawyers moving forward.

Don't want to spend 1 hr writing a summary of a certain topic for background in a memo to a client? Have an AI write out the summary in a minute and spend 15 minutes tweaking it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:26 pm
I feel like a lot of these responses haven't actually used chatgpt to a meaningful degree.

I tried it out for laughs. I'm in a specialty corporate sub-group and I asked it to summarize a niche regulatory rule and the relevant exemptions to that rule that only people versed in my area would need to care about.

It gave me a concise, accurate summary of the rule and the exemptions in under a minute (2 paragraphs of text), and imo it was the general level of work product I would expect from a first or second year if I told them to write me up a summary, but a hell of a lot faster (i.e., not perfect, needs to be tailored but decent ground to start with).

Does that mean chatgpt would be able to give practical advice on that rule's implications to a client and their particular situation? No and far off from that. But I certainly can see AI coming in to be used as drafting tools and aides for lawyers moving forward.

Don't want to spend 1 hr writing a summary of a certain topic for background in a memo to a client? Have an AI write out the summary in a minute and spend 15 minutes tweaking it.
I agree with above. Google is in panic mode and rightfully so. Even if Google comes out with comparable product (they surely will) I no longer have to spend 20-30 minutes visiting 10 different websites to get the information I need. This will eat into their revenue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:19 pm

ChatGPT has the potential to impact law firms in several ways:

Automation of repetitive tasks: ChatGPT can be integrated into legal workflows to automate tasks such as document review, contract analysis, and data extraction.

Legal research and analysis: ChatGPT can assist lawyers with legal research by providing quick answers to questions and summarizing relevant laws, cases, and regulations.

Improved client communication: ChatGPT can be used as a virtual legal assistant to answer frequently asked questions and provide information to clients in real-time, helping law firms improve their client communication and satisfaction.

Increased efficiency and productivity: By automating routine tasks and providing support with legal research and analysis, ChatGPT can help lawyers increase their efficiency and productivity.

However, it is important to note that while AI and NLP can provide valuable assistance to lawyers, the ultimate responsibility for the accuracy and integrity of legal work still lies with human lawyers and their professional judgement.

-Your future boss, ChatGPT

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:53 pm

I just upped my contribution to my state bar organization. 😎

xmixx68

New

Post by xmixx68 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:36 am

The problem is that AI can learn, not in a usual way, but it can dramatically improve so that it can boom quickly.
In MIT experiments in the 80s, it could not do well in the game first, then it could do well, and after a while, it could do the best and even use tactics for victory!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”