Email fonts Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tlsguy2020

New

Email fonts

Post by tlsguy2020 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:28 pm

Does anyone have an opinion on email fonts? Is it weird to use anything other than Calibri? Slow Friday and I received an email from opposing counsel in Garamond Size 13. Sort of blew me away and now I've fallen down a rabbit hole on whether email fonts say anything in any way about the sender.

Anonymous User

Re: Email fonts

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:55 pm

In my experience across a few different appellate practice settings, a disproportionate amount of smart appellate lawyers change their default sans serif emails fonts to a serif font. I consider myself just as smart an appellate lawyer, but I keep my default sans serif email font as my one little act of rebellion.

TigerIsBack

Bronze

Post by TigerIsBack » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:33 pm

Only material deviation I've seen is a senior partner I used to work for had his default to Times New Roman, and always black font, even in replies (instead of default blue), which I guess could be helpful if you're copying/pasting into docs from emails, or he just liked TNR, idk I never asked.

Giro423

Bronze

Post by Giro423 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:53 pm

Some of the workers in the county government offices in my city are completely out of control and will use decorative fonts, in pink, and with salutations like β€œwarm regards.”

Antetrust

New

Post by Antetrust » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:50 am

This thread is fascinating LOL :lol: :lol:. Those out-of-control lawyers with their size 13 font and warm regards hahaha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

basketofbread

New

Post by basketofbread » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:16 am

One of my law school clinic professors (amazing lawyer who I respect immensely) signed her emails β€œTruly Yours” which always tickled me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:39 pm

I know a very experienced appellate lawyer who writes every single email he sends out only after hitting bold. The entire email is written in bold.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:26 pm

In my experience, people who change their fonts to the Century family take themselves very seriously and have a high opinion of themselves, and people who increase their font size to 14+ are generally elderly. (Anonymous because many of my partners do one or both of these things.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:07 am

I was opposite a guy who used like 16 or 18 point font. Maybe he had bad vision idk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jamestaylorrecordsas

New

Post by jamestaylorrecordsas » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:16 am

π”šπ”₯𝔒𝔫 𝔴𝔒 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔨𝔒𝔑 𝔬𝔫 π”π”’π”±π”žπ”©π”©π”¦π” π”ž, π”π”’π”€π”žπ”‘π”’π”±π”₯ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔗𝔢𝔭𝔒 𝔒 π”‘π”’π”€π”žπ”±π”¦π”³π”’ π”±π”žπ”΅π”’π”° 𝔴𝔒 𝔲𝔰𝔒𝔑 𝔒𝔩𝔑 π”ˆπ”«π”€π”©π”¦π”°π”₯ 𝔦𝔫 π”Ÿπ”¬π”©π”‘ 𝔱𝔬 𝔠𝔬π”ͺπ”ͺπ”²π”«π”¦π” π”žπ”±π”’ 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”Ÿπ”žπ”«π”‘ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔱π”₯𝔒𝔦𝔯 π”ͺπ”žπ”«π”žπ”€π”’π”ͺ𝔒𝔫𝔱

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:08 pm

I'm surprised by the number of lawyers who don't change their default font from Calibri, a generally ugly and unserious font.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:37 pm

parkslope wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:08 pm
I'm surprised by the number of lawyers who don't change their default font from Calibri, a generally ugly and unserious font.

I have noticed the fancier/stuffier firms (Cravath, etc.) tend to have the plainest fonts and most unadorned email signatures.

IMO there *is* something undeniably classy about the studied indifference of default Calibri or a plain-text signature β€” it says, β€œwe don’t need splashy graphics to impress or persuade, we stand by the clarity of our writing and the reputation of our firm alone.” In a way, I think the same is true of the simpler websites (e.g. Wachtell) versus the the fussier ones (e.g. Weil).

jamestaylorrecordsas

New

Post by jamestaylorrecordsas » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:13 pm

Jobs intuitively knew to expand his creativity muscle when he invested his time into a calligraphy class at Reed. In his 2005 commencement address at Stanford, he spoke about his calligraphy class, saying,

"I learned about serif and san serif typefaces, about varying the amount of space between different letter combinations, about what makes great typography great. It was beautiful, historical, artistically subtle in a way that science can't capture, and I found it fascinating."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:37 pm
parkslope wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:08 pm

I have noticed the fancier/stuffier firms (Cravath, etc.) tend to have the plainest fonts and most unadorned email signatures.

IMO there *is* something undeniably classy about the studied indifference of default Calibri or a plain-text signature β€” it says, β€œwe don’t need splashy graphics to impress or persuade, we stand by the clarity of our writing and the reputation of our firm alone.” In a way, I think the same is true of the simpler websites (e.g. Wachtell) versus the the fussier ones (e.g. Weil).
Totally. People put a lot of junk into their e-mail signatures (images, social networking links, etc.) that are annoying. But Times New Roman is more conservative (and better-looking) than Calibri.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:04 am

TNR is the better font for a legal document, calibri is the better font for things you read on your phone like an email. Neither are great fonts. If you want a nice font go for like Georgia. But then you probably look too fancy, so leave that type of thing for website design or business cards.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to β€œLegal Employment”