Mixed Review as a rising 3rd year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mixed Review as a rising 3rd year

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:25 pm

Hi all,

In the past few weeks I had my annual review. I'm a rising third year at a tech firm. My hours were low and my office is slow. The reviewer noted I had good responsiveness, communication and was happy I'd been proactive about asking for work. They did not make a big deal about the hours but chalked it up to the economy.

But they did have some negative feedback: as I transition to being a 3rd year I need to get better at anticipating client and partner needs (need to be more independent and asking less "what do I do") and also that my attention to detail could improve as one reviewer noted a document had to be turned back and forth a few times (I know who wrote this and they are very harsh and generally unpleasant unfortunately).

I'm relieved I wasn't stealth fired but am curious if this type of review is common for someone transitioning to a mid level or if I should take this as writing on the wall. I've searched around and it seems that having completely positive reviews every year might be the norm for most?

Thank you! Anonymous as I don't want my account linked to my year and review info.

Anonymous User

Re: Mixed Review as a rising 3rd year

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:25 pm
Hi all,

In the past few weeks I had my annual review. I'm a rising third year at a tech firm. My hours were low and my office is slow. The reviewer noted I had good responsiveness, communication and was happy I'd been proactive about asking for work. They did not make a big deal about the hours but chalked it up to the economy.

But they did have some negative feedback: as I transition to being a 3rd year I need to get better at anticipating client and partner needs (need to be more independent and asking less "what do I do") and also that my attention to detail could improve as one reviewer noted a document had to be turned back and forth a few times (I know who wrote this and they are very harsh and generally unpleasant unfortunately).

I'm relieved I wasn't stealth fired but am curious if this type of review is common for someone transitioning to a mid level or if I should take this as writing on the wall. I've searched around and it seems that having completely positive reviews every year might be the norm for most?

Thank you! Anonymous as I don't want my account linked to my year and review info.
Had the same - but they called it a negative review. Review your work a million times and ull find mistakes. in past i only reviewed once so fb was i rushed and was sloppy. it sucks but this is how we improve. beginnings are tough. not a reason to stealth fire but tech firm+low hours explain relief

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:02 pm

They may be establishing grounds to let you go if it doesn’t pick up. Start exploring options, if things pick up or you don’t find something no harm in staying. But if you have any doubt explore options, protect yourself.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:34 pm

You should look for a new job. I wouldn’t be worried about getting this feedback informally at your level but I would be worried about getting it in an actual review.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:49 pm

Hard to judge without being in the room and probably depends on the firm / practice group.

At my firm, constructive feedback isn't uncommon in formal reviews for good associates (in particular during the transition from junior --> midlevel or midlevel --> senior) but it is usually couched by the partners providing assurances that you are doing fine and hitting or exceeding expectations for your class year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:46 pm

Being told you need to be anticipating client/partner needs seems OK, it's part of the growth and letting you know the expectations.

Being told in an official review that your attention to detail is lacking is not great. I would be looking immediately if I got that. But I could be overreacting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:38 pm

There’s no hard rule for this stuff. I’ve been at two firms with completely different review styles.

Current is ho hum keep it up. Other was a full rendition of your weaknesses along with an above market bonus based on strong performance.

Take the feedback seriously but don’t assume you are on the brink.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:48 pm

Thanks all! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for other opportunities going forward. I don't think I'm on the brink of getting canned but (as someone else mentioned) the attention to detail complaint was a little surprising to have pop up in the formal review. Coupled with the severe lack of work, it's better to be proactive here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”