Feasibility of moving from TX to NYC/DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Feasibility of moving from TX to NYC/DC

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:35 pm

Any advice for a second-year associate looking to move from a TX market to NYC/DC? I am a second year finance associate at a regional TX firm. I started as a big law litigator, but moved to the regional firm after 18 months because I wanted to change to transactional work. I've spent my entire life in Texas, and I am starting to really regret never having lived in a big east-coat urban city. I am debt-free because I chose to go to UT (graduated w/ honors) with instate tuition and a great scholarship instead of NYU or Columbia. The truth is, in the past year I have accepted who I am and come out of the closet, and I think it will be easier to grow as an LGBT person in one of those cities and outside of Texas. Also, I know the realities of working at a firm in those cities (i.e. quite a bit more intense than TX), but I feel like financially and personally I am in a place where this is a move I really want to make. I appreciate any advice on how realistic this move would be? All the information I can find seems to be young associates lateraling out of these cities, as opposed to lateraling to these cities.

Chokenhauer

New

Re: Feasibility of moving from TX to NYC/DC

Post by Chokenhauer » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:22 pm

It would be a very bleak world if you couldn’t move to somewhere that you can finally be yourself. I’ll let more knowledgeable people chime in, but I don’t think you’ll have much trouble. And more importantly, you shouldn’t resign yourself to living somewhere where you feel unhappy based on the opinions of Internet strangers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:24 pm

You have good credentials and a story that I think a lot of law firms will be sympathetic to (not that you have to give details to recruiters if you don't want to). I don't think the transition will be all that difficult. If you just want to live in a neat city with a good LGBT community, I'd throw LA and SF into the mix, too. Those markets are also a little less intense than NY or DC. Look for UT grads at firms in offices you'd like to work, and email them that you're looking to move to their city.

papermateflair

Bronze

Post by papermateflair » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:59 pm

When I'm interviewing someone whose resume doesn't indicate they have ties to the area, I just want to hear a rational and long-term reason for them to come to my city. If I heard something like "I'm looking to move outside of Texas for personal reasons" or something like that, and I saw an LGBTQ+ bar association or something on your resume (I assume you can join your local one?) I would assume that you're looking to move due to political issues in Texas. No need to tell a long story, just quick and matter of fact. If you run into someone in big law in DC/NYC who is homophobic enough to use that as a reason not to hire you then you wouldn't want to work there with that person anyway. Once I hear a reason that makes sense that explains why you want to be in my city, it's all about your resume/experience.

I second the advice to reach out to UT alums at various law firms that you're interested in. You may also contact the LGBTQ+ bar association for the city you're looking to move to and see if they can connect you to anyone from UT, or anyone who has advice on moving to your chosen city from Texas (for DC: https://dclgbtbar.com).

EDIT to add: you don't have to reveal that you want to move for want to move for reasons relating to being LGBTQ if you don't want to or feel comfortable doing so! I do think most folks in big Northeast cities will be sympathetic to your plight (and there is nothing that East Coast people love more than hating on Texas), but ultimately interviewers will just want to hear *a* legit reason (family, friends in the city, maybe there's better finance work in NYC, whatever it is).

Mountainvalleywater

New

Post by Mountainvalleywater » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:00 pm

I don't think anyone really cares about ties to any major market these days anymore absent being able to form a cogent response to the interview question of why you want to move.

I think the bigger obstacle will be more of having to take another bar possibly (have no idea the reciprocity timelines here) and having your lateral firm pay for that/give you the time to study for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:54 pm

OP here.

Thank you all for the responses. I considered California, but I would like to go to a UBE state because I feel like that is the most option-expanding choice. I am currently studying evenings and weekends for the UBE, pretty brutal, but I am managing.

I just wanted to comment, for anyone who sees this in the future, that I have never experienced any homophobia at my Biglaw or Regional firm in Texas. I am looking to move for purely personal reasons. Granted, I am very nerdy and quiet straight-presenting white guy, so that is not a universal experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:35 pm

You don't need to convince New Yorkers why you want to move to New York -- they already know it's the best (only?) city in the world.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:21 am

Good for you man. This is generally a very doable jump. The problem you'll face right now is that the lateral market is currently incredibly tight, and NY firms aren't likely to hire from outside the city these days when there are plenty of candidates who are already local. Probably no harm in applying to openings you see now, but IMO you'd be better off applying to the New York bar in the background and waiting for the market to heat back up (so long as your job is secure right now). That'll also give firms a clear indication of your interest in NY on your resume and help them justify hiring you over other candidates. Best of luck.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:08 am

I think people on here are being a little too optimistic with your chances.

You are a second year associate and you’ve already been at two firms. You’re doing finance at a midsize firm, which will make it an uphill battle to get a finance job at a biglaw firm in NY. Also, I’m not sure how crazy hiring is for finance juniors.

It’s definitely possible for you to lateral to NY, but I think people on here think you’ll be able to do it very easily. I just don’t think that’s the case.

In your case, it may make sense to find a very good recruiter because the recruiter can relay your story to firms before you even go in for interviews so you don’t have to keep telling your story,

Look into other cities as well (DC, Miami, Philly, Atlanta, Boston, SF, SD, LA) if you just want a place where you will feel more comfortable being yourself.

Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:37 am

Hey OP, I'm also a second year associate who graduated from UT (so we're classmates). I'm in NY and I can tell you from experience that UT has strong appeal here, so moving to NY shouldn't be hard with the right resources, especially since there's so many firms. To the extent I can help and you're comfortable sharing any info, feel free to dm and we can stay in touch.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:06 pm

2013 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:08 am
I think people on here are being a little too optimistic with your chances.

You are a second year associate and you’ve already been at two firms. You’re doing finance at a midsize firm, which will make it an uphill battle to get a finance job at a biglaw firm in NY. Also, I’m not sure how crazy hiring is for finance juniors.

It’s definitely possible for you to lateral to NY, but I think people on here think you’ll be able to do it very easily. I just don’t think that’s the case.

In your case, it may make sense to find a very good recruiter because the recruiter can relay your story to firms before you even go in for interviews so you don’t have to keep telling your story,

Look into other cities as well (DC, Miami, Philly, Atlanta, Boston, SF, SD, LA) if you just want a place where you will feel more comfortable being yourself.

Best of luck!
Firms seem to always be hiring for debt finance, but agree it will still be uphill given the factors you mentioned (2nd year at 2nd firm, midlaw v biglaw)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:14 pm

First off, congratulations on coming out (to yourself) and on trying to set yourself up on a path for personal as well as professional fulfillment. We often lose sight of these things in our daily lives, especially as it comes to the struggles of others.

I do think you have a solid shot at NYC. It's a little unclear to me what "regional firm" means. If you're talking about Texas-based biglaw (Baker Botts, Vinson & Elkins, etc.), it should be no issue. If it's a firm that someone in New York genuinely won't have heard of unless they do a lot of work in Texas, it will somewhat constrain your ability to lateral directly to New York. That doesn't mean you can't do it, but it won't be as easy as if you were at a Texas biglaw firm. This is unfortunately not a great market to be looking as a junior associate (though seniors are still in demand in many practice areas), so it may take some time. But as long as you're willing to let the process play out over time (e.g., if you're unlucky, it might take a year before some New York firm bites, but it doesn't sound like you urgently need to get out of your current position), definitely doable given your credentials and background.

I wouldn't bother with DC; there's much less corporate work there generally (most work is regulatory or litigation), and the DC market is generally much more competitive than NYC. SF/SV and LA are plausible too but NYC is definitely your best bet simply due to volume (and SF/SV in particular is struggling right now due to the current tech bust so not likely to be much hiring).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”