1L SA Houston: Sidley, V&E, or STB? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chloejefferson8

New

1L SA Houston: Sidley, V&E, or STB?

Post by chloejefferson8 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:46 am

Hi all, I'm having trouble selecting a firm for the summer. I'm attempting to choose between Sidley, V&E, and STB (all in Houston). I'm interested in working in the Chicago or NY markets after graduation and doing transactional work. Any ideas on which will be the "best" option here?

Anonymous User

Re: 1L SA Houston: Sidley, V&E, or STB?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:25 pm

Sidley if Chicago
STB if NY
VE if staying in Texas

1biglawandme

New

Post by 1biglawandme » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:28 pm

You should try to find out whether any of these firms would be open to you to working next summer at their NY or Chicago offices. Perhaps you could ask recruiting what their policies are on summers/incoming associates switching offices should you express that desire, though I'd try to phrase the question without giving too much away.

Obviously Sidley is excellent across groups in Chicago, and STB is one of the best transactional practices in NY. Would be pretty nice to head into OCI with a return offer from either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:50 pm

If you want to be in Houston - V&E and it isn't close. Like everyone else said, if you want NY or Chicago for sure then one of the other two. Ultimately, it doesn't matter a ton (unless you plan on this being the firm you accept for 2L). The other firms will just like you had a 1L position at a firm (doesn't matter which one necessarily).

emc91

New

Post by emc91 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:11 am

I’ve heard absolute horror stories out of STB so I wouldn’t go there. V&E is solid but it’s going to be pretty old school, white male, etc. and you may not love the culture. I’d probably go with Sidley. But I also don’t want to die of overwork (STB) or be at a firm where I’m unhappy with the culture.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:21 am

Am in Houston. Of these three, V&E. Their only two competitors in the market these days are Kirkland and Latham and I think those two megafirms are the only satellite offices of larger firms that I'd feel comfortable working at in Houston. STB and Sidley may grow like gangbusters or they may run hot and then cold. Five, ten years down the line it may be different, but for now from those offers you should pick V&E.

Also, V&E's brand new building is pretty nice. I'm a bit jealous of it.

emc91

New

Post by emc91 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:23 am

I’m also in Houston. You likely won’t be in biglaw more than 5 years, choose where you like the people.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:07 pm

I’d think about doing V&E just because it’s a bigger office/HQ and I assume you’d probably have the opportunity to try out more transactional practice areas which could be useful in figuring out what you want to do.

I’m not so worried about the long term career implications here because if you have these options as a 1L you’ll surely have lots of other choices after OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:50 pm
If you want to be in Houston - V&E and it isn't close. Like everyone else said, if you want NY or Chicago for sure then one of the other two. Ultimately, it doesn't matter a ton (unless you plan on this being the firm you accept for 2L). The other firms will just like you had a 1L position at a firm (doesn't matter which one necessarily).
Agreed that it’s easily V&E > Sidley > STB if you’re staying in Houston. If you plan to end up in NYC then probably the opposite.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:00 pm

If you have these options as a 1L, I imagine you can probably come back as a split summer for 2L year. At least that used to be pretty standard. You might ask how the 2L summer works. It can be nice to have a split option so you can experience other firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”