DC Lit Boutiques Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC Lit Boutiques

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:54 pm

My clerkship will be ending soon and I am interested in returning to private practice as a trial lawyer in DC. I would be okay with plaintiff's side work. Eventually, I would like to be an AUSA or go to Main Justice. I would not like to take too steep a cut from biglaw market pay. Could folks help me make a list of firms that fit the bill? I'd take thoughts on those firms too.

So far, I have Zuckerman Spaeder, MoloLamken, Wilkinson Stekloff, Massey & Gail, and Cohen Milstein. I worked for a different firm before clerking, so Williams & Connolly is out. I doubt I have the credentials for MTO or Kellogg (I don't want this to turn into a "chance me" thread, please).

Anonymous User

Re: DC Lit Boutiques

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:54 pm
My clerkship will be ending soon and I am interested in returning to private practice as a trial lawyer in DC. I would be okay with plaintiff's side work. Eventually, I would like to be an AUSA or go to Main Justice. I would not like to take too steep a cut from biglaw market pay. Could folks help me make a list of firms that fit the bill? I'd take thoughts on those firms too.

So far, I have Zuckerman Spaeder, MoloLamken, Wilkinson Stekloff, Massey & Gail, and Cohen Milstein. I worked for a different firm before clerking, so Williams & Connolly is out. I doubt I have the credentials for MTO or Kellogg (I don't want this to turn into a "chance me" thread, please).
That looks like a good list to me. I wouldn't count yourself out from W&C, since they routinely take post-clerkship hires who worked at other firms in their gap year(s) before clerking. They also have great placement at USAOs/Main Justice, but anecdotally, there's not a lot of institutional support at the firm to help you make the jump.

I would be a little hesitant to work at Wilkinson Stekloff right now, since they've had some signficant senior partner turnover in the last few years and I think the general sense is that people might want to wait a year or two to see if the firm is actually stable. They (and Beth Wilkinson) have great reputations in the market as trial lawyers, although it seems that they primarily work on large mass tort cases, which may not be your cup of tea if you want to do criminal law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:16 pm

Kaplan Hecker? Also there ae biglaw firms that are effectively boutiques in DC (Jenner, Kramer Levin fka Robbins Russell come to mind)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:41 pm

If you're okay with plaintiff-side, it's worth applying to Keller Postman too (no criminal work, but that's going to be true by definition at plaintiff-side law firms).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Kellogg seems to have stepped back on the credential sensitivity fwiw. I know of at least 4 people who are around median and got offers at my school. None of them have COA clerkships lined up or are on main journal. 2 of them aren't clerking at all.

Might be worth throwing an app that way just in case its indicative of a greater trend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Kellogg seems to have stepped back on the credential sensitivity fwiw. I know of at least 4 people who are around median and got offers at my school. None of them have COA clerkships lined up or are on main journal. 2 of them aren't clerking at all.

Might be worth throwing an app that way just in case its indicative of a greater trend.
I didn’t think Kellogg hired its summers as full-time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:03 pm

2013 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, it's also been my impression that getting a Kellogg Hansen summer spot isn't that tough since they don't give return offers. Many of their summers either split with another firm or have clerkships lined up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:25 am

Not a lit boutique, but Miller & Chevalier has a well respected litigation practice and has had people become AUSAs and go into DOJ.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:03 pm

Kellogg does offer some of its summers, but I don't think its an auto-offer or that they offer all of them. Also Kellogg has apparently been on a hiring spree, they look like they've hired close to 20 more associates than usual.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:23 pm

2013 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

this wasn't summer - this was 3L recruiting. They received full offers without having previously done a summer there

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:07 pm

Kellogg has definitely increased its hiring recently, but I don't buy this whole narrative that its standards have dropped through the floor. I took a quick pass through the bios of the newest associates, and the most recent batch has two SCOTUS clerks, a bunch of feeder clerks (Wilkinson, Kethledge, Livingston, Bibas), and the rest Court of Appeals/District Court clerks (usually both). I only saw one associate who hadn't clerked, and she came in from a bankruptcy practice. No idea what her story is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:07 pm
Kellogg has definitely increased its hiring recently, but I don't buy this whole narrative that its standards have dropped through the floor. I took a quick pass through the bios of the newest associates, and the most recent batch has two SCOTUS clerks, a bunch of feeder clerks (Wilkinson, Kethledge, Livingston, Bibas), and the rest Court of Appeals/District Court clerks (usually both). I only saw one associate who hadn't clerked, and she came in from a bankruptcy practice. No idea what her story is.
If they increased hiring for this year class, wouldn't those people not be represented on website until after they graduate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
If they increased hiring for this year class, wouldn't those people not be represented on website until after they graduate?
I meant last year's post-clerkship hires (i.e. the ones who started this fall)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I know a little about that situation and I think it's special circumstances rather than a general policy change. But as you note they are a big outlier, it's a bit weird.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”